Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Silicone Baking Mat - for Lining Baking Trays and Cake Tins - Non Stick Re-usable Surface Silicone Baking Sheet Makes Baking Easy - Large Half Sheet 40cm x 30cm - Professional Grade Bakeware - Flexible & Oven Safe - Easy To Clean, Wash & Care - Replaces The Need For Parchment Baking Sheets
Offered by TLMessentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 24 Feb. 2014
Just used my TLM Essentials baking mat for the first time to bake some cookies and they slid off the mat perfectly without sticking.
There was no stickey residue and the mat wiped clean. The only downside was that with only one mat I had to do two bakes to complete my batch. Next stop Amazon to order a second mat.

Brilliant Bread
Brilliant Bread
by James Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars More like Easy Bread, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Brilliant Bread (Hardcover)
James, oh James where have you been all my baking life? Where were you when my fingers were getting stuck together and to everything else within reach? Where were you when I was turning out the cow pats and rocks?

Thank goodness you're here now and finally I am turning out bread to be proud of. Not just that but your no knead method is so easy peasy that bread machine manufacturers should be really worried.

James has a no nonsense approach to bread making and anyone who has struggled as I have to produce the perfect loaf should make sure that they have a copy of Brilliant Bread at their side.

TomTom GO 6000 EU 6-Inch Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Always Connected and Interactive Screen Includes Click & Mount Car Charger and USB Cable

2.0 out of 5 stars So many missing features, 20 Aug. 2013
I liked the size despite the fact that they did not take the opportunity to increase the size of text. I also liked the speed that it found the sats and calculated routes. But that was about it.

Everything else about the new GO series has already been well documented elsewhere but my particular dislikes in no particular order were:

1. The inability to search using GPS coordinates. Trust me but on the Iberian Peninsula where I use my device the most, this is a necessity as many places do not have a traditional type of address, e.g. in Spain your address might be Km 27 marker on the MA15. Put that into TomTom. In Portugal the address could just be a road name or number or the name of a village or area. Most businesses that I visit include their coordinates in their location details but they would be of no use with the 6000.

2. Going on from there is the loss of the SOS feature. Imagine being stuck in the middle of nowhere and needing to give emergency services your location without having coordinates available. It’s a GPS device for goodness sakes that relies on coordinates to work Is it so difficult to display them at the tap of an icon?

3. The loss of MapShare. I know that TomTom have promised to bring it back but we are all well aware of TomTom and its promises. The latest update from them (as at 26th July, 2013) was that it would be reintroduced as a software update by the beginning of August. Of course they never said which year!

4. The loss of the facility to add/edit POIs and the fact that the POIs installed on the device seem to be far fewer than previously and certainly in this area less accurate than before. Even more evidence of the need for the edit feature.

5. Searching by address is less intuitive and I failed to find one single address that I regularly use. I’m sure that in real world countries like the UK this would not be such a problem but here, where a simple street name can take many different forms, it rendered the device useless. Yet my GO 720 works a treat here.

6. That leaves searching by selecting your location on the map and tapping. I found this a very clumsy option that was not helped by my fat fingers!

7. The wishy washy map colours that were washed out even further by the glare from the screen. It seemed that it didn’t matter what angle I set the device at I could not kill the reflection.

8. Very personal this one and I know most others disagree but what is the point of 3D buildings? For me it made for a more cluttered display.

9. There is no clock…

10. …and no speed limit displayed unless you have a route set but even with a route set these essentials seem to merge into the rest of the display anyway.

I cannot comment on the LIVE traffic as, for the two days that I was using the device, none was shown and I have no idea if there were any problems in the area.

All the comments above relate to the use of the device in Portugal where the standard of mapping is abysmal at best; hence the importance to me of MapShare and use of POIs.

I believe that TomTom have taken several large steps backwards with this device as far as development is concerned and seem to be charging a premium price for what is at best a basic device. What would it have cost them to include POIs and MapShare, time and speed in the software? There were no R & D costs to spoil the bottom line as the technology is already included in other devices.

The 6000 is on its way back to Amazon and the only decision I have to make now is whether to ‘upgrade’ to a 1005 at £80 less or move over to Garmin.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2013 12:32 PM GMT

Two Old Fools on a Camel: From Spain to Bahrain and back again: 3 (Old Fools Trilogy)
by Victoria Twead

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Victoria, 6 Feb. 2013
I took this book with me recently to read on a long journey. I hardly noticed the time go by and couldn't believe it when we were told to prepare for landing thanks to Victoria's easy writing style and fascinating look at a culture not experienced by many of us.

I was enthralled by Victoria's descriptions of the life and characters on the journey that she and Joe made to Bahrain and found her insight into the Arab Spring very interesting. I feel that there was a lot more that Victoria would like to have shared with us but felt prudent to leave in her private diary. How I would like to take a peek inside that!

In keeping with her previous books, Victoria has also shared with us recipes typical of the area courtesy of Nadia Sawalha. If you don't try any other you have to cook the Mussakhan which has been a firm family favourite of ours since Nadia's book was published.

So what next from Victoria? Will we be transported back to the hills of Spain and El Hoyo or can we look forward to some tales of life and recipes from down under? I can't wait.

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Some reservations now that I've used it, 20 Aug. 2012
My original review (below) was posted after a little use of the product. Now after more extensive use my opinion of the keyboard layout has changed somewhat. While I still consider the key sizes are OK, the lack of sufficient spacing between the keys does cause problems of incorrect key strikes. In particular, for some reason, I find that I am often hitting the 'Insert' key in error and on many occasions the 'Caps Lock' key. I am still happy with the product but have reduced it to a 4 star rating.

I bought two of these keyboards for use in totally different situations and both are performing perfectly. I am impressed with the range and, unlike some other reviewers, have no problem with key size or location.

HP CN503B Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer
HP CN503B Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Email to printer could be improved, 4 Mar. 2011
I'm a standard user rather than any sort of IT specialist so this is not a detailed review.

I found the printer very good in all respects bar one. The speed and print quality are both acceptable to me.

My one problem relates to the facility to send prints to the device by way of email. The email address allocated by the system is complex and not something that can be retained in memory. Well not mine any way! The more complex anything is the more likely there will be errors when passsing it on. As a workaround I came up with the idea of creating a Gmail account with a memorable address specifically for the purpose of forwarding my email print requests. Unfortunatley this does not work and only generates an error message to the sender.

This problem has been brought to HP's attention and their response was not encouraging. They say that the facility is not possible and that they have no plans to introduce it in the immediate future. As an alternative they said that I could achieve my objective through Outlook. Unfortunately I do not have Outlook and HP were not prepared to buy it for me!

Throughout all the enquiry I did receive excellent service from the Customer Service department both by email and a phone call from them. So, if you have a problem you can rest assured that they do take it seriously and will respond quickly.

Would I recommend this printer? Despite the problem highlighted above, yes I would.

Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools
Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools
by Victoria Twead

5.0 out of 5 stars Took me back to Andalucía, 20 July 2010
I was privileged to live in Andalucía for over four years and miss the area terribly. Victoria's book took me right back amongst the sunshine and characters that make the region the wonderfully relaxed place that it is. The memories continued to flood back as I worked my way through the book and imagined myself in my favourite tapas bar, sampling the recipes that Victoria has included.

Victoria has a beautiful writing style that paints the perfect picture of Andalucía, it's cuisine and inhabitants. A book not to be missed.