Profile for KEVIN BROWN > Reviews

KEVIN BROWN

The Practical Beekeeper: Beekeeping Naturally: 1,2 & 3
The Practical Beekeeper: Beekeeping Naturally: 1,2 & 3
by Michael Bush

4.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating and important reflection on bee-keeping, 22 Jun. 2014
I bought this 3-volume edition from amazon.de and so paid less for it!

In certain respects, I agree with the one commentator that gave it 2-stars: as an English-speaking person (rather than American), I find the poor grammar irritating. There is a fair bit of repetition (as this is essentially the unedited reproducion of his website contributions) and the quality of the photos is not great.

On the other hand, what Bush has to say is thought-provoking and at times quite inspiring. It is reflective of the current issues in bee-keeping, and as an experienced bee-keeper of up to 15 hives (10 years in Scotland, and now 6 years in the Austrian Alps), I have been working towards sustainable, non-exploitative, bee-friendly approaches from the start. Now having read this book, I am going to revise further some of my previous practices.

The information is USA-based (in terms of types of hives and types of honey bees), but I did not find that problematic for European purposes, as the principles are the most important aspect. My view is that this book is probably suitable for beginners and is definitely so for more experienced bee-keepers.

My scoring is therefore 2 stars for the quality of the production and 5 stars for the quality of the information! Overall, that makes it a 4 star bee-keeping book, I reckon.

More Than Honey [DVD]
More Than Honey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Markus Imhoof

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely spot on!, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: More Than Honey [DVD] (DVD)
I was first into the cinema in Innsbruck when this was released, and afterwards we had a really good discussion with the Director (Markus Imhoof). I was a beekeeper in Scotland for 10 years and for the last 6 years have been studying and practising beekeeping in Tirol in Austria (and last year moved up to 15 hives). I also have basically the same kind of hives as the old Swiss guy - 'Hinterbehandler' in a bee house - rather then the widespread 'magazine' type hives in America and Britain. And I prefer the 'dunkle' or 'brown' or 'black' bees - the Apis m.m. - that he also had, rather than the Carnica (Apis m.c.). But - and here is an another interesting link with the film - I let my queens brood naturally so that they, after fertilisation from 10 or more drones - have a mix of Carnica and 'brown' bees. This means aggression - the Europoean equivalent of the so-called 'killer bees' that you see in the film. Healthy, industrious, prolific bees - but a bit hot to handle for the beekeepers who want to turn bees into acquiescent pets!
From my own experiences I wrote my own short account of what bees meant and how we should develop our relationship to the natural world, as well as my Marxist critique of capitalism and how we exploit (and are alienated from) nature through capitalism. Everything I ever understood about the problems of capitalism I learnt from bees!
But this film does this analysis better, without lecturing. It is, without spoon-feeding the audience, giving you all the context you need to know to make up your own minds. Absolutely brilliant photography and editing!
The book (with the same title) is great too, by the way, and expands on these themes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 9:51 PM BST