Profile for jdpearsonkirk > Reviews

Unix Systems Programming: Communication, Concurrency and Threads
Unix Systems Programming: Communication, Concurrency and Threads
by Kay Robbins

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical based approach to Unix Systems, 1 Jan. 2005
This is a solid book on Unix based systems (inc Solaris, OS X, Linux ), with particular emphasis on practical programming. I used the first edition when I did my HNC in Computing at college. I had the first edition out on loan from the college library and had no hesitation to buy the 2nd edition when it come out.
A few things to note, having some C skills is essential, and having a some Unix skills would also help. The book takes a very practical approach, which is a joy. I've read a few dry OS books and trying to remember a couple of pages of text is a challenge. But here the authors introduce a concept, then create a small program to demonstrate what they are talking about. Then some additional theory is added and more code etc, building up a bigger picture. The contents are extensive (check out the table of contents above) covering processes, signals, events etc.
The authors have a good website which you can download the code from. I have run the programs so far with no problems on my Linux machine (2.4 Kernel), but examples should work on most Unix variants including OS X, Solaris etc.
I have not yet finished the book but so far so good.