Profile for L. Foxall > Reviews

Content by L. Foxall

L. Foxall "foxall" (Warrington, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Corrs Live In Dublin
The Corrs Live In Dublin
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Why was it not an official release over here?, 7 Aug. 2005
I first got to know The Corrs when I saw them in Manchester in 1996 as Celine Dion's support band and since then, I have took notice of what they've released but I have only recently got into them, as I have broadened my horizons as far as music is concerned.
Out of all their albums I have, which are this, Borrowed Heaven and their Greatest Hits, I think this is the best one. All of the songs are performed very well indeed and provide a refreshing combination of styles, from laid-back (Summer Wine) to something a bit more lively (Breathless). My favourite songs on the album are When The Stars Go Blue, Summer Wine, Ruby Tuesday and Breathless, although I don't dislike any of them to be honest.
For me, Andrea proves she has got enough strength in that sweet voice of hers to cope with live performing, while the rest of the band do a superb job with the instruments and Bono's contribution adds to the appeal as it is refreshing to hear him sing something different to what he does with U2.
This album is that enjoyable, it begs me to ask the one thing about it which I can't understand - why was it not officially released over here?

Hayley Westenra: Live From New Zealand [DVD] [NTSC]
Hayley Westenra: Live From New Zealand [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Hayley Westenra

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! A performance that belies her age., 20 July 2005
I first saw Hayley Westenra on the Frank Skinner show in 2003 and she came across as a very nice young lady. I was so impressed, I then bought 'Pure' to find out what her singing was like and I enjoyed listening to it - different styles of music sung with charisma.
After deciding against seeing her in Manchester in 2004, I was glad to hear a DVD of Hayley performing live was going on sale, as I was interested to see what she was like. Her performance was one of maturity, maturity that I would have expected someone much older than Hayley. She was excellent - calm, clear, composed and genuine, to me she is made for live performing. The crowd provided a warm atmosphere and it is the sort of performance that I could watch if I just want to relax after a hard day at work, such is the nature of it.
The only track I'm not fussed on is 'Ana'. Not because of the performance quality but because it is just a theme with cello player and Hayley adding her voice to it. There are no lyrics and I don't find music like this very inspiring. Everything else however, is at least good. My favourite tracks are 'Who Painted the Moon Black', 'Amazing Grace' and 'Beat of Your Heart' which are of the highest order. Her covers of 'May It Be' and 'Wuthering Heights' deserve a mention as I think these are very good.
Overall, I am glad I bought this DVD. It has increased my admiration for this talented young lady and if I had the chance, I would see her live.

The Colour Of My Love
The Colour Of My Love

5.0 out of 5 stars My original and still one of my favourites!, 19 July 2005
This review is from: The Colour Of My Love (Audio CD)
Not only was this the first Celine Dion album I bought, it was also the first album I'd ever purchased and it was the album that I can honestly say got me into music.
From 'The Power of Love' to 'The Colour of My Love', it is magical. There is not one bad song on the album. Celine's voice makes the album interesting and enjoyable to listen to. She shows her power and emotion with love ballads such as 'The Power of Love', 'Think Twice' and 'Just Walk Away', then eases her voice and makes upbeat songs like 'Misled', 'Real Emotion' and 'Refuse to Dance' sound very refreshing. I share the opinion of one of the other reviewers, that all the songs could have been in the charts and as well, it epitomises my ideal album - consistently good music (at least!).
I have a lot of sentiment for this album because no matter what other albums I buy (of Celine or anyone else) and listen to, this one stays in my mind which just shows how much I think of it and how much of an impact it has had on me. It also got me into Celine Dion's music and I am glad it did because I enjoy listening to that wonderful voice of hers, singing with charisma and distinction on this and other high quality albums she has produced.
Although my loyalty has faded since her return because of mediocre albums like 'One Heart' and 'A New Day Has Come', I just have to listen to this and I realise why I became a fan.
It is my original album and still one of my favourites!

Breathe In
Breathe In
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucie, you're something special. A real talent., 13 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Breathe In (Audio CD)
Lucie Silvas first came to my attention on the Des & Mel show when she performed 'Breathe In' and I was impressed. I then heard 'What You're Made Of' on Radio 2 and I thought "I like this, shall I buy her album?". I bought it at the end of January and I can honestly say I made the right decision.
For me, there are no bad songs on the album, and Lucie's voice makes the album refreshing as well as relaxing to listen to. I say this because one minute she sings ballads which test her vocal abilities to full without going over the top (e.g. The Game Is Won) and the next, she's taking it easy & slowing down (e.g. No Defence). My favourites songs are 'The Game Is Won', 'Seven Veils', 'Last Man Standing' & 'Don't Look Back' and overall, I would say that this is the best album I have bought for a long time. I must also credit Lucie for the fact she writes and performs her own material. Anyone who can do that deserves credit from me (more so if it is my type of music).
After buying the album, I then went to see Lucie and her band in Manchester on 28th April & they were superb. Lucie seems a very nice young lady who is down-to-earth, as are her band members.
If she keeps on producing music of this quality, I will be a fan of Lucie Silvas for a long time and I hope she will be in the business for a while. She is a real talent in my opinion.

The Ballad Hits
The Ballad Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Home!, 3 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Ballad Hits (Audio CD)
I found this album waiting for me when I came back from my holiday and after listening to it, I thought it's good to be back.

There are songs which I am familiar with from their greatest hits album such as the legendary "It Must Have Been Love" and "Listen To Your Heart" and other nice songs such as "Spending My Time", "You Don't Understand Me" and "Crash, Boom! Bang!" but there are other songs such as "Queen Of Rain", "Milk & Toast & Honey (what a sweet song!)" and "Salvation" which fit into the nature of the album extremely well and are as good as the better known songs.

For anyone wondering why I got this when I have their greatest hits, their newer songs are on this and because they do both ballads and rock-pop, I prefer to have one type of music on 1 album and the other on another rather than have them mixed together.

Overall, I found this a very nice album which I would recommend to all fans of Roxette. The music is typically passionate but not heavy which makes it easy to listen to (for myself anyway).

I am now looking forward to the Pop Hits album which is due soon.

Page: 1 | 2