Profile for G. Welsby > Reviews

Content by G. Welsby

G. Welsby (Manchester UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Oxford Oximiser 3X Motorcycle Battery Charger & Optimiser for 12V Batteries
Oxford Oximiser 3X Motorcycle Battery Charger & Optimiser for 12V Batteries
Offered by Motorcycle Parts Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars No better than the earlier version which costs a third of the price, 13 April 2016
I bought this as it is claimed that it is completely re-designed and tested. However, in my experience it performs no better than the £25 earlier version. Worse, the literature claims that it is unlikely that a battery having a voltage of 8V or below is unlikely to be recoverable so it does not even try. This proved to be the case. So, I bought the excellent https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012SXUK24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is a portable battery which can be used to charge mobile phones/tablets etc. It is small enough to hide under my iPhone 6S plus but actually has a crocodile clip connector for jump starting cars. It narrowly failed to jump start my dead car, but I left it connected for a few minutes while checking that nothing was overheating. I then checked the voltage of the car battery and found it to be over 9V. I connected the Oximiser overnight and the car started on the first turn of the key in the morning. So, in short, save your money and buy the £25 version or, even better, buy the Annke jump starter and keep it in the glove box. Oh, and btw, the cigarette lighter accessory is an optional extra.

Garmin nuvi 2797LMT 7" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (discountinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Pants., 8 Jun. 2015
First of all, let me say that hitherto I have been a fan of Garmin Sat Nav kit. The unit built into my motorcycle is a Garmin Nüvi, and Avis cars rent Garmin portable units which I have found useful. So, when my wife, who works as a district nurse, decided to swap her car for one without built-in sat nav I bought one of these for her. It didn't get as far as being installed in the car, apart from to be charged. The cigarette lighter plug is the only included method of charging, although a mains charger is available on Amazon for 2 quid. I give this item 2 stars because a) I can't give it zero and b) if I give it one star I get the grief from the Amazon thought police. First, try the hands free. Pair my iPhone 6, no problem. Contacts and call history are synched. Make a call, sir? Certainly, although the call duration counter will remain steadfastly at 00:00:00 throughout the call. Hang up, sir? Sorry, that option doesn't work. You'll need hands-on on the phone for that. Incoming call, sir? Sorry, the unit gives no indication whatsoever of incoming calls. Try navigating then. Enter a known postcode in Manchester. It gives me a street which is not in the postcode and does not show the road which is. Ok, enter a know postcode in North London. There is one sensible route to it from home. Every sat nav I have used here selects it or, at least, shows it as an option. That's the Nüvi on the bike, 2 Audi built-ins and Apple and Google maps. This unit takes me miles along a winding, single track road instead. "No other suggestions", it says. It is, without doubt, the worst thing I have ever ordered from Amazon. Thank goodness I know that they'll take it back and replace it without cavil. Oh, and as a "just in case" I downloaded the Garmin update downloader to my MacBook. I told me that software and map updates were available, which would take approximately 3 hours and 10 minutes to download. I set it going and it now says it will take approximately 12 hours and 40 minutes to download. If the new software/maps make any improvement I'll update this review but I hold out little hope.

Tower Of Song - The songs Of Leonard Cohen
Tower Of Song - The songs Of Leonard Cohen

2.0 out of 5 stars The absolute pits, 2 May 2015
I have never posted a review of an album before. I review pots and pans and stuff, where I think my opinions might be helpful to others. Music is, however, such a matter of personal taste that I normally would not venture an opinion. In this case, though, I feel compelled. This is a bunch of smug b*st*rds trying to warp the great man's songs in their own images. There is not one track here which would stand comparison with Cohen's own rendition. Do NOT buy this album. If you need convincing just go to Spotify and listen to Sting's diddly-i version of Sisters of Mercy (wt?) or Bono's utterly execrable version of Hallelujah. As I said, smug. I am giving two stars here as I can't be bothered facing the fight with the Amazon star police which would be the result of my giving it one star. Zero is what it's worth. Btw, if you want a truly great cover of Hallelujah listen to k.d. lang's Hymns from the 49th Parallel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2015 12:47 AM BST

Microplane 4-Sided Box Grater
Microplane 4-Sided Box Grater
Offered by U Stores

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT fit for purpose!, 11 Nov. 2014
Have to give this at least two stars as it is so sharp! Came back to Amazon to buy a replacement as the plastic on mine had disintegrated. Checked the reviews to find that this is an almost ubiquitous problem. How can they carry on selling this for 40 odd pounds? My zester works fine so I am going to buy the other blades individually instead.

Supereyes B008 5.0MP 0.1~500X Handheld USB Digital Microscope Loupe Magnifier with Metal Stand TE32
Offered by FocusQuality

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit, even at the price., 27 May 2014
I bought this after buying and using the 200x magnification version, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FIJWMM2/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title
It costs 50 quid more, which may (and should) put off users who need only the 200x magnification. I gave the previous version five stars and if the range were 1-10 I'd give it 10 and this version 9, just for the price. I don't count this one as expensive, just the other one ridiculously cheap.
Both versions are plug and play - just fire up Photo Booth on the Mac and the image appears. Both are manually focussed with the 500x version giving a visual indication of the magnification. For use as a microscope rather than a high-magnification loupe the stand included in this version is more practical than the tripod included with the 200x one. For their primary use for me, which is viewing the edges of knives I have sharpened, I use both hand held. To compare the two I tried to photograph some text on the back of my iPhone viz. "Designed by Apple in California". At maximum magnification the 200x version captured "Designed by Apple in C" and the 500x "Desi". The 500x photo was evenly lit whereas the 200x was brighter in the centre and darker toward the edges.
Which version you go for depends on your needs and funds. I'm very happy to have both.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little microscope - and so cheap!, 21 April 2014
This item is available in at least two other offers on Amazon uk. I am reviewing Ebest's version as it is the cheapest, even without Amazon Prime. To be honest, at £17.70 I was not expecting much but it works superbly well for my use, which is studying the edges of knives I have sharpened. It is plug-and-play, so all I had to do was plug it into my Macbook, fire up Photo Booth and the picture was on screen. It is manually focused so you position it as close to the item to be viewed as you like and twist the top to focus. It claims 200x mag. right up close and I can believe it. If you want it magnified less simply move it farther away and refocus. It comes with a little extensible tripod stand which is great for eliminating hand shaking. It comes with its own software too but I've never had cause to use it. I have no dislikes of it. My only problem now is whether to go for the 500x version, the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supereyes-B008-Microscope-Endoscope-Magnifier/dp/B0066H7H1Q/ref=pd_cp_computers_0 which has a stand which appears to point only downward (like a microscope!) and at 500x camera shake may be a problem. Oh, damn the torpedoes. I'm going for it and will review it soon.

TRIXES Jewellers Lens Glass Loupe 30X & 60X Magnifier 2x LEDs Lights
TRIXES Jewellers Lens Glass Loupe 30X & 60X Magnifier 2x LEDs Lights
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good at what it does and so cheap!, 16 April 2014
I bought this with some trepidation because at £6 I couldn't believe it could be any good. However, I use it to inspect the edges of knives I have sharpened. I don't know how well it works on diamonds but on knives it works very well and I would recommend it without hesitation. It even comes with a spare battery.

Victorinox 19cm Chefs Knife 5200319W
Victorinox 19cm Chefs Knife 5200319W
Offered by K Master

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife - and cheap!, 16 April 2014
This really is a great kitchen knife, but for the price it's a steal! I bought it to practise using my knife sharpening equipment but it is very sharp right out of the box and seems to be retaining its edge well. I'm trying to bring my old knives up to its level! Highly recommended.

Pod Dispenser, Capsule Stand Coffee Tower Box N80 black matt for Nespresso
Pod Dispenser, Capsule Stand Coffee Tower Box N80 black matt for Nespresso
Offered by Metalltech-24

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive (say I) and ugly (says my daughter), 24 Feb. 2014
"That is UGLY" said my daughter as she caught sight of it. In the eye of the beholder I suppose. It is what it is - several pieces of sheet metal pressed, riveted / glued and powder coated. Mine wobbles on its spindle. Produced in bulk I cannot believe this costs more that a quid to manufacture, so the price of £56+ is laughable. That's the expensive. The good thing is that it holds eight full sleeves of coffee - more than any other dispenser I've seen. Also as it holds the sleeves one does not have to empty them to load the dispenser. Therein lies another problem however. Reading reviews of other dispensers it is one common to those holding the sleeves. To extract a capsule on has to grab it potentially by its top and bottom but usually just by the rim of the bottom. This is awkward. Also, more often than is acceptable, two capsules emerge at once and it's fiddly to re-insert one. Another minor problem is that you cannot see how many capsules are left so you only find out that it is nearly empty when there is only one left.
I'm sending this one back and getting another http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tavola-Capstore-Vista-Nespresso-Capsule/dp/B0010KAHPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393259751&sr=8-1&keywords=tavola+swiss+capstore+vista+nespresso+coffee+capsule+stand. Far better looking and more practical.

Tavola Swiss Capstore Vista Nespresso Coffee Capsule Stand
Tavola Swiss Capstore Vista Nespresso Coffee Capsule Stand

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Nespresso space saver, 13 Nov. 2013
Holds up to 10 capsules of 4 kinds and takes up very little space on the worktop. Elegant too. I'd have given it 5 stars except that we drink 5 kinds of coffee.. My wife drinks 3 kinds so I manage by keeping my 2 at the top and bottom of my column. Also, I believe that there is another space saving option which is a drawer which fits under the Nespresso machine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5