Profile for J. Stuhler > Reviews

Poison Study (MIRA)
Poison Study (MIRA)
by Maria V. Snyder

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing - avoid!, 2 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Poison Study (MIRA) (Paperback)
Having just read some of the positive reviews for this book, I had to check it was the same one I just threw away. I found the plot to be predicable and cliche-ridden, the characters two dimensional and the back-story inconsistent and incomplete.

In thirty years of reading Fantasy and Science Fiction novels, I can only recall a handful of books that have been bad enough for me to not bother finishing. I made it through 150 pages of this (not much, as the book is double-spaced with a big font to make it look longer than it actually is) then gave up without the slightest curiosity on how the "plot" developed. One to avoid.

Black Man (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Black Man (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing, 2 Sept. 2009
Having read all of Richard Morgan's previous works, buying this was a no-brainer and I agree with the comment on the back cover - this is some of his best work yet. It is set in a time somewhat closer to our own than the Kovacs novels, which makes it all the more immediate and frightening. The way in which current geopolitical and racial issues are woven into the story is very clever: this is a book which you'll be thinking about long after you read the last page.

The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
by Richard Morgan

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 2 Sept. 2009
I'm a huge fan of Richard Morgan's SF material, so when I saw he'd tried his hand at the fantasy genre I had to give it a go. Overall, I'm very glad I did. The back-story to the novel is good, with the author living up to his usual high standards in creating a credible and consistent environment for his characters. There is also the usual generous helping of action and sex (mostly of the homosexual variety in this case). My only criticism is that the novel feels like it was rushed at the end, and the last 50 pages or so should really have been more like 200. Still, plenty of scope for a prequel and sequel, and if they appear I'll be buying them.