Profile for R. Birkett > Reviews

Content by R. Birkett

R. Birkett "Diva's Forever" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Touch My Body
Touch My Body
Offered by momox co uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Positively Indulgent, 26 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Touch My Body (Audio CD)
I can't think of a more catcher song than this, i agree that it may not be like her finest work ever, i would say the best way to describe this mid-tempo number is frivolous, in other words very lighthearted, chilled out and fun, and like Mariah herself says it's not meant to be taken too seriously. As a lead single it's the perfect way to both advertise and open the album because i think people will appreciate it's charm, anyway i'm sure Mariah won't forget the ballads when it comes to the new CD.

American Boy
American Boy
Offered by RECTRO_GEMS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Track, 25 Mar. 2008
This review is from: American Boy (Audio CD)
I never really took much notice of Estelle when she released the single '1980' a few years back because i felt it had too much rap in it for my liking, it's only now that i've become a lot more involved with her, this single is probably why, and i also think the fact that she has switched lables to John Legend's new US label has helped her career considerably. 'American Boy' is a super memorable and catchy dance track with elements of pop/funk and hip/hop infused and also has a techno/disco edge. It features hugely successful guest rapper Kanye West who really makes a great fitting addition to the song.

Glitter
Glitter
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah will ALWAYS be my #1, 25 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Glitter (Audio CD)
I can comfortably make the statement above because of albums like this, i truly love this album from every single song down to every single note sung, and i'd give it 10 stars if i could. I just find Mariah so perfect, i mean everything about her, as you can probably tell i am a die hard fan, but even so i still don't understand some of the bad reviews it's got, so what if it was released on September 11th 2001, so what if it was considered a 'flop' by others, a good album doesn't need to be surrounded by all this 'hype', anyway i found this album to be more of a hidden gem. What i also picked up on this album was the real contrast of moods, there's no in the middle with this album the upbeat songs are upbeat and the ballads are real ballads, i would argue some close to the point of being tearjerkers.

If i had to choose, then my favourites would probably be the very emotional ballad 'Lead The Way', The 70's disco inspired 'All My Life', again another piece of wonderful emotional balladry from Carey, 'Never Too Far' which is about the subject of losing someone, Carey's very own version of the 80's hit song 'Last Night A DJ Saved My Life', in my opinion Mariah's version is better than the original, 'Didn't Mean To Turn You On', this bouncy pop song defiantly has it's roots in the 80's music era, 'Reflections (Care Enough)' on this song Mariah sings directly from her heart about what it is like to feel unwanted by parent, 'Loverboy' the lead off single, the remix which includes the rap is better in my opinion than the organal, i absolutly love the vibrace & the energy of the song, 'If We' this song is chilled, modern & less dramatic than the rest of the album but is cute & has a catchy hook, & finally 'Want You', yet more 80's era influenced music, but It's not a negative because personally i think the production on this song is fantastic.

I had such enjoyment listening to this album. One thing is certain, there will never be another Mariah, she was a definite one-off.

Better In Time/Footprints In The Sand
Better In Time/Footprints In The Sand

3.0 out of 5 stars Leona's growing on me, 24 Mar. 2008
Leona Lewis had phenomenal success when she won the 'X Factor' back in 2006, i didn't like her at all until 'Footprints in the sand' i hated 'Bleeding love' i always thought it got way too much air play, was way too commercial and hyped up, but i see more potential in 'Footprints in the sand', i see Leona going to a different market, and i guess the less British and more International she becomes the more i like her. I didn't like Christina Aguilera at the beginning, but i'm an absolutely huge fan now so we'll see, anyway i think 'Footprints in the sand' is a great ballard, and i guess these sorts of ballard's remind me of how Mariah used to be in her early days.
The CD's second track 'Better in time' is a mid-tempo song which has a catchy chorus, compared to a song like 'Bleeding love' i would consider this song to be quite sublime, certainly no where near as explosive lyrically and musically, even so i still think it a good song, with a meaningful message.

Taking Chances
Taking Chances

5.0 out of 5 stars Largely Surpassed My Initial Thoughts., 23 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Taking Chances (Audio CD)
I got this album as a christmas present, when i first listened to it, i thought oh no i wasted my money, i want my money back, but since i've had it and given it a lot more listen's i found myself hooked, it took a few months but i got there in the end, no doubt it will become a classic in my collection over the coming years.

The songs i liked were 'Alone', i heard the original verson of this song and i thought it was a really bad effort compared to Celine's version as she gives it more power, and i feel something when i listen to this track. I also liked 'Eyes On Me', this track does stand out, but in a good way it's a song with a real eastern flavour. 'My Love', never thought i'd like this song because it reminds me of a slightly indie song, 'Can't Fight The Feelin', what a fun song, i wish all rock music was this fun, and clean at the same time, i really liked 'Taking Chances', fabulous title track, 'I Got Nothin' Left', some brilliant balladry with 'World To Believe In', 'Surprise, Surprise' is a great track with an excellent bridge, also 'Fade Away', 'Shadow Of Love', 'New Dawn', 'This Time', the agressive 'That's The Woman In Me', the Dreamy 'Skies Of L.A' & 'Right Next To The Right One' are also very credible tracks.

Overall i think it's a great album, you might not be too keen at first, but it will grow on you in time. I would defiantly recommend this album to anyone who is considering purchasing it.

Let's Talk About Love
Let's Talk About Love
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 21 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Let's Talk About Love (Audio CD)
I think this album is brilliant, it really stands out from anything else out there. Funnily enough this was the first full Celine album i ever listened to, proir to that i only knew Celine from owning the mega hit single 'My Heart Will Go On'. I was like 8 or 9 and i heard someone play that song, even at that age i noticed how good the vocals were, it was inevitable that one day i would become a Celine Dion fan.

The best songs on this album, if i had to pick them out are 'Us', 'Miles To Go Before I Sleep' & 'The Reason', this song is sung perfectly and i can understand why they put it as the opening track on the album, the song takes off with such power, but i must point this out, it does sound a bit like a Queen song with it's tempo changes and strong, heavy backing vocal for the phase 'in the middle of the night'. I mean as i said, i love all the songs on this album, the only song i skip is 'I Hate You Then I Love You' the duet with Pavarotti, thats the only dodgy song on the album. Having said that, i do think the collaborations are slightly weaker than when we hear Celine on her own, but thats just my opinion. Overall its a superb album, and if you don't already own it i would defiantly recommend you add it to your collection.

As I Am
As I Am
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 27 Jan. 2008
This review is from: As I Am (Audio CD)
I fell in love with Alicia Keys when i first listened to 'The Diary Of Alicia Keys', i listened to it on a personal CD player on a coach a few years back, it captured me in every way, i played it so many times, i hated having to take it back to the library where i'd rented it (of course i now own it). Today it still remains as one of my few favorite albums of all time. If i was to say this new album 'As I Am' was better than the last two i'd be lying because you're compairing three completely different albums. Each one has something different to offer. Its very instrument driven, that's one of the things i like about it, by not using the synthesizes so much it makes the sound more pure. I rushed out to get this album on the day of its release and for very good reason. I'm not disappointed at all, its a refreshing take on modern R&B that was beginning to all sound the same. I could not nitpick individual tracks for my favorites, because i consider the album as a whole package. Alicia Keys has opened up new directions and possibility's of a deteriorating genre. This album has been a long time coming.

My Kind Of Christmas
My Kind Of Christmas
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite xmas album ever!, 16 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
I love this, its my favorite holiday album. This album is modern yet you still feel there are traditional elements in this album. I bought this album a year ago and i'm glad i did because it still sounds just as fresh.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7