Profile for BFO&C > Reviews

Content by BFO&C

BFO&C "bfo_c"

Page: 1 | 2
Motorola Moto G 5-Inch (2nd Gen UK Stock) Dual Sim 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very impressive phone, 15 May 2015
I am so very impressed with this phone. It is very fast in use, the screen looks beautiful and is very responsive and the phone itself doesn't seem to have too many Motorola 'additions'. Yes, it is a plastic phone, and it has a battery that is sealed within the body which I would normally be less happy about. However, that battery seems to last pretty well and the option of having dual sims is, for me, a really useful feature. The managing of the two sims seems very straightforward. It has to be said that to get all of this on a phone which costs under £140 is amazing. Of course I am only into my second week of owning it and so I can't comment on robustness or reliability yet but at the moment I really have to give it 5 stars.

Strictly Personal
Strictly Personal

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Strictly Personal (Audio CD)
I had the vinyl copy of this many, many years ago and still find it very rewarding to listen to as a CD. To me then (and still now) this album was a breath of fresh air - a raw and unique approach which transcended definition. Yes, there is argument about whether the 'phasing' used in production was with or without permission but I have always liked it just as it is. A huge amount of energy, a driving sound and a strong blues feel alongside the unique Beefheart vocals make this a real gem.

Sacrilege
Sacrilege

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Didn't Ring True, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Sacrilege (Kindle Edition)
I have read a previous book in the series and found it OK but this book I found annoying. In essence I could not accept as plausible a large number of the decisons of the 'hero'. I virtually never give up on reading a book and did manage to finish this but it was very hard going. As each (to me) unlikely decision was made, my enjoyment reduced and annoyance increased. I wish I could give it more stars but I can't.

My Sister's Grave (The Tracy Crosswhite Series Book 1)
My Sister's Grave (The Tracy Crosswhite Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start - poor development and ending, 28 Oct. 2014
Well written and starts well. However, the further the story progresses the less interesting it becomes. Yes, it is American but I knew that when I bought it. What made it fail for me was that the holes in the plot just got too large to ignore and finishing it became a chore rather than a pleasure. Clearly some people find it a good read - I just can't grasp why.

Kenwood SJM250 Metal Jug Kettle - Stainless Steel
Kenwood SJM250 Metal Jug Kettle - Stainless Steel

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Jun. 2013
I bought this kettle from Amazon and received it at the end of February 2013. Now around four months later one of the 'pins' acting as hinges for the lid has broken off and so the lid is loose. There are a number of other reviews here that mention this as a problem.
I cannot fault Amazon at all who very quickly responded when I contacted them and I'll be returning the kettle and getting a full refund.
I am disappointed in Kenwood though and will be contacting them as well. In the meantime I couldn't recommend this kettle at all.

Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4535 DWF - multifunctionals (Inkjet, 200 x 200 DPI, 1200 x 600 DPI, 1200 x 2400 DPI, A4, A4 / Letter (216 x 297))

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, 26 Feb. 2013
I have had this MFP for over a year now and I'm pretty pleased with it. It makes printing multiple copies a breeze and, so far, only very rarely has a paper jam. Even then it is probably down to a problem with the paper rather than anything to do with the printer. The scanner is also very good and the automatic document feed works well as does two sided scanning. I haven't really used the fax much and as a result I'm not really able to comment on that aspect. The wireless works well and using it from 3 different computers (Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8) hasn't been a problem. I have also found that I can print without a problem from my iPad using the Epson Print App. The replacement ink cartridges are becoming more common and can be had pretty cheaply (around £20 for the XL giving 2,000 pages for the colour ones and 2,400 for the black), which compares very well with the HP Laser this replaced - it cost twice as much for 'compatible' not original toners.

So, why only 4 stars? Basically there are two annoyances. The first is that it brings up a 'warning' of low ink while there is still loads of ink left in the cartridge. I have been able to keep working for a month after the warning appears, with no noticeable loss of quality. I know that the amount people print varies and so the warning has to allow for that, but if one replaced cartridges when the warning appears it would waste a lot of ink and money.

The final annoyance is a more minor one. When a new firmware update is available for the printer it appears that it has to be installed from each connected computer or the 'nag' screens keep appearing. Perhaps one of the future updates will solve this.

So, overall a great device which (apart from the annoyances) I'd recommend without hesitation.

KitSound BoomBar Universal Portable Rechargeable Stereo Bluetooth Sound System Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets and MP3 Devices - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound, 29 Dec. 2012
I too bought this when it was on a Boxing Day deal. The little bar produces excellent sound. It doesn't produce room shaking bass nor does it produce window shaking volume levels but it does produce distortion free (to my ears) and very detailed sound. The volume is fine for most rooms and (given the size) the bass response is very good.

I found pairing it with my iPad very simple and it allows you to alter the volume, skip tracks and play/pause from either the bar or the iPad. As well as the Bluetooth connection it has a 'standard' headphone sized input point and the case even contains the correct cable to connect from the headphone socket of a device to the bar.

The case is a great idea for an item which is designed to be portable and is of pretty good quality. The instructions (which are pretty simple anyway) are written in helpful and straightforward language and the battery is very similar (if not identical) to older mobile phone batteries and is very simple to fit.

So, it offers wonderful sound (for the size), flexible connections (Bluetooth or cable), choice of controls (on the boombar or on the device), easy setup, rechargeable batteries (which are widely available), the required cables and a very good case. Probably well worth the circa £40 price but for the £18 price I paid an absolute bargain.

Philips 22" LED TV
Philips 22" LED TV
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Surely it must be defective?, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Philips 22" LED TV (Electronics)
I bought this TV for £133 on Amazon's Black Friday promotion but had it been just £33 it would still not have been worth it. It has excellent connectivity with 3 HDMI connections, a VGA connection, a SCART connection and sound inputs and outputs however that is the only good point about it. The picture is very poor indeed, with colours that manage to be both unrealistic and blurry at the same time. On moving objects there is noticeable motion blurring and when using the computer input the resultant image is so unsharp as to be almost unusable. Yet all of these aren't the worst thing about it, that accolade is reserved for the sound. Yes, other people have commented on how bad it is but however bad you might expect it to be, it will be worse than you think possible.
As an example in our pretty 'cosy' sitting room (with no other noise at all) and with the volume on the TV turned up to the absolute maximum it was still impossible to hear a football commentary clearly. It is difficult to describe the sound since I have never heard anything like it before. It was muffled, tinny and as fuzzy as the picture.
I'm very surprised indeed that any manufacturer would allow such a flawed and defective product to be sold and Amazon to still be selling it. It is all packed up and awaiting collection.

What Makes Us What We Are
What Makes Us What We Are

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and thought provoking, 25 Jan. 2012
This is an excellently written and constructed novel that is very well worth reading.
The journey of discovery that we are taken on, starting with an apparent suicide and an inexplicable act of violence on a corpse, shines a light on some of the least pleasant aspects of human nature.
It is not a comfortable novel to read, as we see through the eyes and explore the mind of a murderer, but it really does examine 'What makes us what we are' and leaves the reader with much to think about. It is also a pleasure to read an e-book that is not littered with typographical and layout errors.
Highly recommended.

Fields of Dreams
Fields of Dreams

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 15 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Fields of Dreams (MP3 Download)
This is a wonderful album which properly showcases Iain's talents as a song-writer as well as a performer.

With excellent 'supporting' musicians and a good variety in the individual songs, it is an album that can be frequently listened to and new nuances appreciated.

It is very difficult to choose a `favourite' song or songs but I think that `Empty Fields' stands out for me, although if you have read the book, `Calum's Road' would also be very memorable. `Tostary' and `Press Gang' are excellent songs as well.

If you like any form of folk/traditional music do have a listen and consider buying it, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2