Profile for readerman > Reviews

Content by readerman

readerman

Sinatra At The Sands
Sinatra At The Sands

5.0 out of 5 stars It cost me 3 quid and quite honestly its fantastic. Not only great songs but brilliant performances by ..., 14 May 2016
This review is from: Sinatra At The Sands (Audio CD)
I cannot believe this . It cost me 3 quid and quite honestly its fantastic. Not only great songs but brilliant performances by Frank and the Count Basie orchestra. I would strongly recommend this Cd to any real music fans, not just fans of Sinatra.

Tracker
Tracker
Offered by Tom-Media LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars I have all the others and must say this is as good as any of the previous ones, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tracker (Audio CD)
I think this is Mark Knopflers' 8th studio album since Dire Straits. I have all the others and must say this is as good as any of the previous ones.The overall mood is calm and the songs tell wonderful stories. The playing is immaculate as you would expect. It's true that he wont gain any new fans with this record, but those of us that already admire him will be more than happy. My personal favourite songs are 'Silver Eagle and 'Basil' from the main albums work, but 'Terminal Of Tribute To' which is on the deluxe edition is brilliant. My advice , therefore, would be to get the deluxe edition. You get 4 bonus tracks and they are all of the same quality as the 11 on the standard edition. I believe he is touring the UK in May this year and look forward to seeing him play live again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2015 4:16 PM GMT

Letter Home [VINYL]
Letter Home [VINYL]
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars A Letter Home, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Letter Home [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I've listened to this CD three times now and the performances of the songs are really very good. Only Neil Young would make a record that sounds like this and I suppose the quality of the recording will put a lot of people off. That would be a shame .I would recommend listening to it on through headphones. It certainly isn't good background music and requires concentration to listen to. 'Needle Of Death' is a great track and my favourite on the album.

Once Upon a Time...
Once Upon a Time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Donna Summer- one of the very best, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Once Upon a Time... (Audio CD)
Now first of all I am no great fan of disco or r n b music. I cannot listen to beyonce or Whitney or any of the so called r n b greats of recent years. Donna Summer was different and this album in particular meant so much to me personally. It was released in 1977 as a double album. The first record of the two contained 7 songs which are some of the best Donna recorded . The trilogy of now I need you/midnight shift/queen for a day is absolutely brilliant and up there with anything else recorded in the 70's. I was so sad to hear of her passing last year. I immediately got this cd out again and remember the happy times I had when I first heard it on vinyl, it was in a gatefold sleeve with that wonderful cover photo of her. I listened to a lot of her music back then and continue to do so, but this album is by far her best in my opinion and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Oh Lonesome Me: Singles Collection 1956-1962
Oh Lonesome Me: Singles Collection 1956-1962

5.0 out of 5 stars Don Gibson-Oh Lonesome Me, 28 Feb. 2014
If you like music from the late 1950's & early 1960's,or if you are a country music fan then this album is definitely for you. I knew of 'Sea of Heartbreak' but honestly didn't know the man wrote and recorded so many well known songs. 'A Legend In My Time ' is my favourite I think. Johnny Cash recorded it for one of his later albums. 'Just One Time' was recorded by Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins for their 'Neck & Neck' album, and I honestly didn't know he wrote 'Too Soon To Know, which was a hit for Roy Orbison in the 1960's. The quality and sound of the recordings is excellent and I can't recommend this album too highly.

High Hopes
High Hopes

4.0 out of 5 stars high hopes, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: High Hopes (Audio CD)
I've always been a fan of Bruce Springsteen and have all his albums in my collection, so I was always going to buy this album in spite of all the negative press it has received. What we have here is a very good album which contains the studio version of 41 Shots and a re-recording of The Ghost of Tom Joad. While these may be the main songs on the album there are others worthy of mention. Down In The Hole, The Wall and the title track are all new favourites of mine and while it perhaps doesn't reach the heights of Wrecking Ball it is by no means a poor album. Maybe he's missing some old friends and wants us to continue hearing them. Clarence Clemons is featured on this record as is Danny Federici, so maybe it's still too difficult for him to move on completely. Whatever the reason, enjoy the songs and while I prefer the original Ghost of Tom Joad, this new version is certainly different. I brought the version with the DVD of Born In The USA. Watch it and you can see he is still the best live act on the planet.

John Mellencamp 1978-2012
John Mellencamp 1978-2012

4.0 out of 5 stars john mellencamp 1978-2012, 1 Jan. 2014
First of all I would like to say there is no complaint about the quality of the music. If you are a John Mellencamp fan you would already know how good these albums are. To have them all in one box set is a great idea. The strongest albums are probably from 1982's American Fool through to 1989's Big Daddy but some of the stuff since has been excellent. The box contains 19 CD's in cardboard sleeves and it all sits on my cd shelf very neatly indeed. The box itself is not as sturdy as it might be and there is no booklet with it at all. Just the music. Which I suppose was the whole point really. It is quite expensive at over a £100 so that might put a few people off buying it but I thought what the hell, you only live once.

Live From KCRW
Live From KCRW

5.0 out of 5 stars live from KCRW, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Live From KCRW (Audio CD)
This is simply brilliant. I enjoyed the Grinderman albums and Dig Lazarus Dig but have always preferred Nick Cave's more melancholic albums and this is my favourite so far. The best track for me is Far From Me but to be honest there isn't a bad track on the album. The version of The Mercy Seat is excellent and the whole thing works and sounds like a studio album. Well worth buying even if you have the original studio versions of the songs.