Profile for NDH > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
HQ
HQ

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: HQ (MP3 Download)
Reviewing music is always a bit more subjective than reviewing a TV or lawn mower but, if you like the Roy Harper style, this is an excellent example of his craft. Wish I'd got it years ago. Man and Myth is also a good buy.

Samsung UE40F6510 40-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD 3D Smart LED Television with Freeview, S Recommendation, Voice Interaction, Dual Core Processing - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars In many ways good but with one serious flaw, 22 Dec. 2013
In many ways this is an excellent smart TV and I agree with many of the 5 star comments about picture quality, apps, ease of use and etc. I found the native sound quite reasonable [my wife thinks it is fine], but upgraded to a Samsung sound bar which I think has improved the experience greatly. BTW, there isn't the usual phono output for sound to got to your hi-fi on this TV, but a thing called a digital spdif output, which looks a bit like a phono. If you want to connect to your hi-fi or a surround system that doesn't have a digital input you can buy a spdif to phono converter on Amazon for about £20. Not really a problem as far as I'm concerned, but worth knowing about.

So, if I'm pretty happy with the set, why the three star rating? One of the reasons I went for a smart TV was the access to catch-up TV and in our case BBC iplayer, which we use a lot. Unfortunately There is a real lip sync problem with BBCiplayer [although not with other catch up services such as ITV or Demand]. Programmes start off OK but gradually fall out of sync, until after about 10 -15 minutes they are unusable. Researching this on the internet, it is clear that this this is a problem with a number of Samsung low and mid range TVs that people have been complaining about for about 6 months, with no solution forthcoming. The obvious solution of plugging straight into your router instead of using wi-fi has no effect.

So, if you never use iplayer or you tune through a set top box of some sort, this is not likely to be a problem, but if like me you want to use the iplayer app on the TV there is a very frustrating issue to contend with. I will update if any solution is forthcoming from Samsung or BBC.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 11:54 PM BST

Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 (Retail Packaging)

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit expensive but works well, 17 Sept. 2013
I use this with my laptop - I've had legions of laptop mice over the years and this is the one I have liked best. Switch it an and it works - seems a bit obvious but this hasn't been my experience with every mouse I've bought. I wanted Bluetooth to avoid using a USB port and wondered how responsive it would be. It is absolutely fine, very responsive.

Some people might find it a bit small and light, but that's the point of something you might carry about. I actually prefer it to my large desktop mouse.

Expensive compared to some, but it works!

Samsung ATIV Book 8 15.6-inch Touchscreen Notebook (Intel Core i7 3635QM 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Radeon Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, 17 Sept. 2013
I bought this laptop when I became unwell for a while and wasn't able to sit at my desktop for any length of time. I have a high spec desktop [more than I need really] and wanted a laptop that didn't frustrate me by being hesitant. I do a lot of photo processing and I like adjustments to show pretty much instantly. I do little light gaming [Starcraft II].

The Samsung has a good, well built feel and a lovely screen [not so good in strong light of course]. My main applications, Lightroom 5 and PSP X6, run at a good speed with no frustrating waits for processing to finish. Although I have haven't calibrated the screen, I have managed a good approximation to my desktop screen so that processed images appear pretty consistent across both machines,

Starcraft runs smoothly at maximum graphic options and looks great. I don't know much about games, however, and I'm not sure how demanding this one is on resources..

The Touch screen is very responsive and I enjoy mixing up mouse, screen, pad and keyboard in actual use. Just as an aside, this is my first Windows 8 computer and I just don't see what a lot of people are moaning about - works fine if you spend a bit of time setting up. As with most new computers you need to spend some time getting rid of stuff you don't need and checking out start up applications.

I think the best recommendation I can give is that this machine is a pleasure to use.

Any niggles?

The HDD is fine once up and running but it can take a little while to settle down when first booted - loads of 'necessary' stuff runs at start up; services, security applications etc. This is the most noticeable speed difference to my desk top, which has an SSD and is lightning to start.

The back lit keyboard can sometimes make the keys very difficult to see! - doesn't happen a lot, but is a bit odd in an otherwise very well designed machine.

Vandoren Java Red Alto Saxophone Reed - Single - Strength 2.5
Vandoren Java Red Alto Saxophone Reed - Single - Strength 2.5
Offered by Windband Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 20 Aug. 2013
All of a sudden the alto has come to life. Reeds are very much personal taste, but these have really opened up the sound for me.

Plain XL Black
Plain XL Black
by Monsieur Notebook
Edition: Leather Bound

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good product, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Plain XL Black (Leather Bound)
Feels cheap, many of the pages have small blotches, binding not solid and beginning to tear in front and back. I may have been expecting too much for the price - not a good item to buy online - need to see and feel.

That's Proper Folk
That's Proper Folk
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: That's Proper Folk (Audio CD)
I was surprised and pleased to see this still available in 2013. Price has gone up a bit - cost me £1.98 in 2008. Some great versions of some great songs - a little slice of folk history, well worth owning.

13 Songs You May or May Not Have Heard Before
13 Songs You May or May Not Have Heard Before

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame it's not on CD, 10 May 2013
Wonderful album with at least 5 top class songs and the rest all good. I tend to like songs with a narrative - David Ackles, Harry Chapin et al, but this takes it to another level. Some tracks will be familiar through covers - You Stay Here, Fishing, Reunion Hill - but there are also hidden delights. My favourite is Transit, which I hadn't heard elsewhere - brilliant.

Should be on CD for the likely audience.

Canon PIXMA MG8150 All-In-One Wi-Fi Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan)
Canon PIXMA MG8150 All-In-One Wi-Fi Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan)

3.0 out of 5 stars Drinks ink like a drunk, 10 May 2013
I've had numerous printers over the years for photo printing. My previous Canon Pixma 5000 still works fine [now being used in another room] and is reasonable on ink. I moved to the MG8150 to combine scan and copy with reasonable photo print. The functions all work fine. Photo print is similar to the P5000 but with better definition and it was easier to calibrate with my computer. In practice you wouldn't notice any difference once the pictures are framed.

The only problem is the rate that the machine uses ink. I'd read some warning reviews about this, but I'm not badly off and I've never worried too much about the cost of printing - however, this thing has brought me up short - I feel I'm being taken advantage of. I have considered cutting my loses and replacing, but it would take a long time to recoup the loss.

Don't buy this product for photo printing unless you are prepared to dig deep to fund the ink costs.

Satmap Active 10 Plus with GB Outdoor GPS Map (discontinued by manufacturer)
Satmap Active 10 Plus with GB Outdoor GPS Map (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 1 Oct. 2012
This is my first GPS for walking, although I've used sailing GPS for a number of years. Bought the SATMAP for our coast to coast Wainwright walk because I liked the chunky feel, button operation and the link with OS maps. I've used it on Dartmoor with the 1:50K supplied and on the coast to coast with the 1:25K C2C map [cost £30 with offer].

I've had very good satellite reception throughout - it takes a few minutes to lock but then will stay locked all day. The weather was wet in the Lakes and Dales and the satmap came through almost daily soakings with no problems. Battery life [using rechargeable battery pack] was good, lasting 8 - 10 hours with no problem. I did use hibernation mode throughout, which reduces some tracking functions.

As a long time user of compass, map and common sense I'd wondered how I would take to using digital. Brilliant. My only worry is that always being able to find out instantly where you are within a few meters may erode those hard won skills of keeping track of position.

I found it more useful than I'd expected in wayfinding. The coast to coast is mostly track walking and these are often well defined but, as always, there are places where the path choice is not obvious, the track disappears or the route is impassable. The satmap allowed us to cope with these situations quickly, easily and with certainty. It was a great comfort a few times, when the mist was thick and the wind was howling, to be able to check that we were on course.

I carried but didn't use my paper maps of the Lakes on the walk, although they were good for group planning and reminding ourselves where we had been - especially on those misty days! The 1:50k paper map was good to drag out to get an overview of the route, especially on the longer, flatter sections in Yorkshire.

On this trip I used the satmap by creating a detailed route for each day in Xpedition and then downloading to satmap - very easy to do. A word of warning; the C2C routes supplied with the 1:25K map pretty much follow the line of the rights of way marked in green. These are not always reliable and I made my own routes using Henry Stedman's book and the aerial photos on Xpedition. There is one point at Loft Beck when following the green right of way would take you up the wrong side of the beck. I have also found that some of the Dartmoor OS rights of way do not follow actual tracks on the ground. Strangely, the tracks marked on the 1:50k OS seem more accurate.

Overall a very good, practical piece of kit that saved a lot of time on a long walk. Five stars because it worked for me.

Suggested improvements for the next update.

1. Rechargeable battery caddy so that you could change batteries without unplugging - you can do this with the AA batteries but not with the supplied rechargeable. I have some very good rechargeabale AAs which may solve this, but I haven't had a chance to try them on a long trip.
2. This would also make a reset quicker if the satmap freezes. I never got a freeze when out but it did go a couple of times when I was setting up routes, and you have to disconnect power to reset. Or perhaps just a reset sequence on the buttons?
3. I was never very convinced about the compass. Being used to the usual type of pocket compass I found the jerky variation on the satmap compass didn't inspire confidence. This is probably just me.
4. Cheaper 1:25k maps!