Profile for Stevie H > Reviews

Content by Stevie H

Stevie H (Scotland)

Stainless Steel Thimble Wine Measures 3 Piece Bundle Set 125ml, 175ml & 250ml CE | Bar Measures, White Wine Measures, Red Wine Measures, Wine Measuring Cups
Offered by Chabrias

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 May 2016
Great little measures, solid and exactly as described. Great service from seller.

The Scarlet Gospels
The Scarlet Gospels

5.0 out of 5 stars A blistering day in Hell, 25 May 2015
Having been a fan since the Books Of Blood, and having recently retread his earlier work, I had grown tired of Clive Barker's writing lately. This, however, is a fantastic return to form. I finished it in a day - unlike his usual style, this is breakneck, frantic-paced stuff. The plot isn't as dense as usual either; it's a fairly straightforward story from beginning to end, but all the more readable for that. It's dark, and excruciatingly gory at times, all the better for it too. Some of the supporting characters are paper thin, but Pinhead (and latterly Lucifer) are brilliant characters who more than make up for it. I've read it has been severely edited down to its current length - which may be true as there's plenty here to suggest this story isn't quite over yet. Which is something of a shame, but only because this is such high entertainment - it leaves you wanting more.

The language and writing is, as usual, second to none in the genre, and this is a return to the inventive horror Clive Barker does so well. Highly recommended.

Neo G MEDICAL GRADE OPEN PATELLA KNEE SUPPORT 'breathable design'
Neo G MEDICAL GRADE OPEN PATELLA KNEE SUPPORT 'breathable design'
Offered by Online Sports Support Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Really worked for me, 10 Jan. 2015
I'm a runner. About six months ago I developed a chronic pain in my right knee, which eventually started to get bad enough that even walking was a struggle. I tried other knee supports without any success and was resigned to giving up running altogether. I gave it a couple of months off until the pain had lessened, then as a last resort I bought one of these when I decided to resume training again.

I wore it around the house for a day or two and I was astonished by the way it seemed to deal with the pain in my knee. On the day I went back to training I strapped it tightly around my knee and ran a 3k, then a gym session, then a 2k (which is pretty mild for me). Although I could still feel my knee wasn't 100%, the pain did not flare up again, which it had done every time previously.

Since then I've run a couple of 5k's, and my knee is holding up well using this support. In fact, it continues to improve. I can only say that so far the Neo G has helped me immensely and I hope it continues. I would recommend anyone in my situation to try it out, as it really worked for me.

Sony XDRS10DABMI DAB Radio with Wood Finish
Sony XDRS10DABMI DAB Radio with Wood Finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Piece of Kit, 2 Jun. 2010
Bought this for the kitchen and have had no trouble with it at all.

When you turn it on it scans for all available Digital Stations and sets its own clock. It didn't find a lot of stations and I performed an easy manual tune and it found loads more. The sound quality is very impressive for such a neat unit; clear and responsive with no distortion when you turn it up loud.

I like the 10 DAB / 10FM presets, but in reality you don't really need them as cycling through the station list is very simple and quicker to do. Some people will want a USB input or Auxilliary Input (this doesn't have anything like that) in order to play MP3's etc, but if you just want a simple to use, great looking, quality digital radio this should tick all your boxes.

Babytec Autofade Bedside Lamp
Babytec Autofade Bedside Lamp

4.0 out of 5 stars No fuss, useful little nightlight., 1 Mar. 2010
I bought this for my little girls' bedroom, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's about the size of a large paperback book; a little lightweight feeling, but not too bad.

The touch sensitive controls are a little twitchy but it's relatively easy to use. It gives a strong light at full power, but I found it got a bit too warm to leave it like that for more than 15 minutes - it won't burn you, but it's not cool, either. However, in faded mode it stays cool enough, no matter how long you leave it on. You can have any fade setting, resting your finger on the lower button lets you choose any light setting. Pressing the top button will activate a timed dimming to totally off over about twenty minutes; I don't use this setting, I leave it on a low light all night. The light it gives is fine for keeping the room lit and the girls happy.

Recommended.

Creative Photoshop: Digital Illustration and Art Techniques: Digital Illustration and Art Techniques, Covering Photoshop CS3 (Digital Workflow)
by Derek Lea

3.0 out of 5 stars Too varied, too detailed., 16 Sept. 2009
I'm a photoshop user, and I found some stuff of value here. But I'd only recommend this for novices, because if you know even half of what Photoshop can do, you'll be skipping vast chunks. 18 chapters each deal with a different technique and outcome, but the chances are you'll know some or all of them.

The book only devotes one chapter to actual photomanipulation (it's the one on the cover), and while the techniques shown are good, it isn't enough. The rest of the book delves into poster art, cartoon effects, colouring, and 3d model texturing. Myself, I find that too varied a selection.

Fantasy Art Workshop: Mastering Digital Painting Techniques
Fantasy Art Workshop: Mastering Digital Painting Techniques
by ImagineFX

5.0 out of 5 stars Tricks of the Trade, 16 Sept. 2009
Indisensible for anyone interested in learning Digital Art. Lots of varied styles and techniques beautifully illustrated and explained, and covering different software - mostly photoshop, painter and artrage. Stunning amount of detail, and great advice for the beginnner - and the wide range of topics covered mean the more experienced should find something of value here too.

Wacom Bamboo MTE450KEN Pen Tablet
Wacom Bamboo MTE450KEN Pen Tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Sept. 2009
My second Wacom Tablet, and I'm delighted with it. I had my Volito for a year and a half, when the pen wore out. It works out cheaper to get a new Tablet than get the pen replaced, so this was my choice.

It's neat and stylish, and easy to install and set up. Connects Via USB and the pen does not require batteries. Buttons are easy to use (but I only really find the zoom ring a must have). Pressure sensitivity is fine, and the eraser on the pen is very useful too. It does not come with replacement pen nibs, however, but these are available to buy (unlike the Volito). It doesn't come with the software the the Bamboo Fun does, however - so if you are looking for Artrage, look elsewhere.

All in, though, if you have the software you need this is faultless, and a superb bargain.

The Strain (The Strain Trilogy)
The Strain (The Strain Trilogy)
by Guillermo del Toro

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but creepy!, 2 Aug. 2009
The biggest criticism I have of this is the length of time it takes to really get going - over 120 pages without a great deal happening except tedious, lengthy description. Once the action takes off, though, it whips along at a great pace. It's obvious which parts Guillermo Del Toro had the biggest influence over - they are generally the most vivid and creepy. The dialogue veers into the 'Dan Brown' school of awfulness at times, but the story is good and an original twist on Vampire Lore. The violence gets pretty graphic, too, so gorehounds should be satisfied.

It's the first part of a trilogy - I'll be looking forward to the next two.