Profile for A. F. Prestwich > Reviews

Content by A. F. Prestwich

A. F. Prestwich (West Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Double (Spero Lucas 2)
The Double (Spero Lucas 2)
by George Pelecanos

3.0 out of 5 stars Losing his way....., 29 Nov. 2013
I have thoroughly enjoyed George Pelecanos's books until the last three where he seems to have rushed the stories. Although some might find the detail he went to in earlier books irritating, I liked it as he built excellent characters around this detail with believable plotlines, however his recent books seem rushed as if he has been asked to produce so many books within a certain timeframe. I gave the book three stars because I like Pelacanos and measured against others, it is still an interesting read but not a 'can't put it down' book like many of his others. I did start to wonder if his writing for television was impacting his novels as they are starting to read like 'potential' film scripts. The Spero Lucas character had and still has a great deal of potential but currently there is little depth to him and he is in danger of being a not to believable substitute for Pelecanos's heroes of the past.

The Kill List
The Kill List
by Frederick Forsyth

3.0 out of 5 stars Add some suspense please....., 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Kill List (Hardcover)
For an author as accomplished as Frederick Forsyth this was very disappointing. As usual full of interesting, we'll researched facts but read like a documentary on the life of the hero culminating in his last heroic deed; film script did cross my mind! In the early days Forsyth books were full of suspense with plenty of twists and turns; here everything went as asked for and you could guess the outcome with the minimum of effort. I felt it was really no more than a two star but you do learn a lot of interesting detail with Frederick.

Let It Burn
Let It Burn
by Steve Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent although a touch too slow....., 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Let It Burn (Hardcover)
I think Steve Hamilton is an excellent writer and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a crime novel without the 'crash, bang' you get in many others of its type; very much a readers book. On one hand that is the strength of the story but when I had had finished it I felt the pace could have been picked up a little, a strange thing to say when I did enjoy the story but other reviewers may well understand my comment. He is a very good writer and I will be browsing for the books I have yet to read.

Never Go Back (Jack Reacher 18)
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher 18)
by Lee Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Lee Childs needs to put a little more effort in....., 2 Oct. 2013
There are two ways to view this book. If you have never read a Jack Reacher by Lee Childs, then it is a pretty drab read with the hero walking through every obstacle put before him in a not too clever story. However, if you are a Jack Reacher fan you will probably enjoy it with our hero walking through every obstacle put before him in a not too clever story! I gave it three stars because I have read all the Reacher books and got into the habit of expecting a poor one every so often and this one fell into that category. Although well written I feel the story had potential but needed greater detail to the point it became somewhat gung-ho and Reacher appears to have reached that stage where he is bordering on superhuman, pre-empting every punch and not getting as much as a bruise. Naturally I will read the next book but I would very much like to see Lee Child up the standard.

Never Coming Back: David Raker Novel #4
Never Coming Back: David Raker Novel #4
by Tim Weaver

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy on the plot lines....., 23 Sept. 2013
I like Tim Weaver very much; good characters, fast pace and very well written and to date enjoyed all his books. However, with this one he has stepped out of his usual tight storyline and produced a multi plotted one taking him outside of what he does best. The story is so complicated and improbable to the point it gets messy which is a shame as the David Raker, missing persons investigator is an excellent character but not in the world that Weaver puts him in with this book. Considering the injury suffered in his previous book, Raker certainly took some punishment in this one which was not really believable even with a little literary licence and the ending was a little over the top to also not to be believable. Keep Raker local not International.

The Hunters (The Hunters 1)
The Hunters (The Hunters 1)
by Chris Kuzneski

2.0 out of 5 stars A little more substance please....., 9 Sept. 2013
I will almost certainly read another of Chris Kuzneski's books simply because they are of a boys own quality, improbable plot, easy access to whatever they need with little explanation and characters with absolutely no depth to them. He has good ideas and a team of specialists is always a marketable read but you MUST have some depth to your heroes to grip the reader and get him on side. Escapism but only a moderate writing effort.

Tell No Lies
Tell No Lies
by Gregg Hurwitz

3.0 out of 5 stars Something lacking....., 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Tell No Lies (Hardcover)
I like Gregg Hurwitz books and having read them all, he improves each time. However, so far I find something lacking that stops me thinking they are great books. This is a very clever plot line but somehow you never really get into it as everything seems light weight. The hero, albeit an ordinary guy, seems a shade too excitable and I never really warmed to him or his Wife when I should have been totally absorbed by his/their predicament. I think Hurwitz missed a great opportunity to write a very good book but he needs more depth to his characters something that he nearly succeeded with when he was involving the participants in the discussion group, here there was some excellent exchanges.

True Colours: The 10th Spider Shepherd Thriller
True Colours: The 10th Spider Shepherd Thriller
by Stephen Leather

3.0 out of 5 stars Drifting along.....which is a shame, 26 July 2013
I have read all the 'Spider' Shepherd books and enjoyed everyone and if this book had been twice as long I would have enjoyed it because I like Stephen Leather's writing. Therefore, why just three stars? Once the two storylines were established the book started to ramble to the extent you were hoping something would 'kick off' in the next chapter but nothing did until the end. At the end, as someone else pointed out....it was suddenly all over, leaving you wondering whether it was worth it. Stephen likes to build his views on life in the UK into his books but at times I think he overdoes it to the detriment to his story. He has an excellent character with a non-intrusive private world enabling you to enjoy what he does for a living but get a feel of his human side but this book was a story about someone acting as a bodyguard, albeit a dangerous assignment, leading to very little tension and less action. The character is too good to waste on simple stories so I hope he can get back to form next time around.

The Survivors Club
The Survivors Club
by Lisa Gardner

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all the way through....., 19 July 2013
This review is from: The Survivors Club (Paperback)
I have read a few of Lisa Gardner's books and enjoyed every one; why I have not read more I am not sure. This was both well written with a very interesting plot allied to a number of twists and turns. It made a change for the hero to be on reasonably good terms with his superiors, too many books currently have the focal point at loggerheads with everyone, Harry Bosch being a serious case in point. The only reason I did not give five stars was the hero for all his cunning throughout the book failed to use an ounce of it at the end; I am sure survival would supersede getting revenge over his captor. I must hunt out some more of her books.

The Killing Game (Carson Ryder, Book 9)
The Killing Game (Carson Ryder, Book 9)
by J. A. Kerley

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the ending....., 15 July 2013
I have read all of J. A Kerley's Carson and Harry books and he has produced two excellent characters and always a decent storyline. However, I am not sure whether he was being clever with his ending or ran out of ideas. On one hand he has left it open for a follow up or he just tired of the storyline and wanted it over with. Shot by his sister was disappointing after such a random killing spree, the cold killer deserved to have more detail around his death than just being found shot with the book just fading away to a party to celebrate. Whatever happened to good endings to crime books?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2013 8:28 PM BST