Profile for A. F. Prestwich > Reviews

Content by A. F. Prestwich

A. F. Prestwich (West Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Crossing Lines (Gabe Quinn Thriller Series Book 2)
Crossing Lines (Gabe Quinn Thriller Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Two out of two.....here's to the third, 9 Aug. 2014
What an excellent follow up to "Killing Hope" by Keith Houghton; I fully expect the third in the series to be equally as good. The author has quickly become one of my favourite crime/thriller writers but why only four stars again? This time I think he lost his way with the ending from the incident with Mason Stone through the climax it was just that too much to believe. He isn't the first or last author to fall into this trap plus it is always strange how the most calculating killer throughout the book succumbs so easily in the end. Possibly I am being too hard as I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 10:03 AM BST

Cry Baby
Cry Baby
by David Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me.....but clever, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Paperback)
I like David Jackson's writing and this was a good book but I personally did not really get into it. It is two entwined stories running parallel with a side story loosely connected and I found this ruined the flow for me. Clever idea and excellent writing with a hint of a padded out short story. Jackson is on my 'must read' list so I will be ready for his next book and hopefully he will return to form with his hero, Callum Doyle in a slightly more conventional read.

Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn Thriller Series Book 1)
Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn Thriller Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read....., 3 Aug. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed the book which held my interest front the start to finish. There was a lot going on and numerous characters to get your teeth into and that is the one reason I did not give it five stars. There were just too many people involved all getting a reasonable profile, Stacey Kellerman being a classic example but was there any need and the story zig-zagged here and there when also there was probably no need. That said, Keith Houghton has written an excellent book and I have ordered the two follow-ups which hopefully will have another clever twist also like 'Killing Hope'. The hero doesn't appear to be the sharpest policeman around but to an extent that helps make the book entertaining as it brings in a team around him that you can connect to although don't hold your breath that they will make it into the next book! Look forward to reading the next one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 9:52 AM BST

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
by Terry Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent....., 19 July 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and Terry Hayes is now firmly on my 'must buy' list. Good thrillers are always a little implausible and this is no different although somewhat less than many high profile writers. However, it was a good story and you can forgive little things like that and it was one of those books I made time for as I was intrigued with how it would unfold which is a rarity nowadays when you can second guess many plots long before the end. Terry Hayes has done an impressive job and it is refreshing to see someone prepared to put seven hundred odd pages down; that said, I agree with a couple of other reviews that an editor could or should have done a better job or the author avoided, unnecessary description of events not really relevant to the story, more an incident in the heroes past.

Golden Buddha: Oregon Files #1 (The Oregon Files)
Golden Buddha: Oregon Files #1 (The Oregon Files)
by Clive Cussler

2.0 out of 5 stars Mmm, not this time....., 9 July 2014
Fast paced, far fetched, a typical Cussler book. This time I feel the story is just too over the top. Eventually you have to step back from continually having your hero and heroines riding rough shod over all laws on land and sea and having access to anything and everything they want; if you do not then the excitement of the book is diminished and I am afraid I felt this happened with this offering. I finished it but at times I was hoping the end would come sooner as it was just lacked real suspense. On a good day Cussler and his co-writers can produce an excellent book, on others you feel that they rushed one out to satisfy an annual quota.

Osram E27 30 Watt Halogen Globe 3 Halogen Eco Bulb
Osram E27 30 Watt Halogen Globe 3 Halogen Eco Bulb

3.0 out of 5 stars Like all Osram products, 8 July 2014
Like all Osram products, very good and I use them regularly but I doubt you will get more than half the indicated usage from a bulb.

The Jungle: Oregon Files #8 (The Oregon Files)
The Jungle: Oregon Files #8 (The Oregon Files)

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 'Boy's Own' adventures....., 5 July 2014
If you like fast paced adventure books with numerous heroes and heroines, easy access to everyone and everything but highly implausible, Clive Cussler and his co-writers are for you. I usually buy a couple when my regular authors are unavailable, often seduced by the excellent artwork on the front covers which more often hints at something curiously adventurous. Every time I start a book I think 'this will be hard work' but I must admit I enjoy them for their pace and unusual adventures Cussler and co write about. I read many of the early Dirk Pitt books and enjoyed them but I feel they were written in a far slower manner than the modern conveyor belt style of writing. Perfect holiday books.

Brute Force: (Nick Stone Thriller 11)
Brute Force: (Nick Stone Thriller 11)
by Andy McNab

3.0 out of 5 stars McNab's better than this....., 30 Jun. 2014
A somewhat disappointing effort from Andy McNab. He is a better writer than many give him credit for but I am worried he is producing too many books too soon and wonder if the next stop is collaborating with someone else as per: James Patterson and Clive Cussler. The story 'could' have been very good but the book ambled for three quarters before getting into the heart of the plot but we were subjected to two page chapters (Patterson weakness) and nothing really flowed to the point I was wanting to finish it regardless of the outcome. One question to ask, have the Nick Stone books run their course? I hope not as I am sure McNab has a wealth of stories from real life he could use as a basis but he needs to plan the books better and get back to detail, plot, sub-plot and a fluidity to the story not just churning them out as so many authors appear to be doing to meet publisher quotas.

The Wrong Quarry (Hard Case Crime) (Hard Case Crime Novels)
The Wrong Quarry (Hard Case Crime) (Hard Case Crime Novels)
by Max Allan Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining....., 26 May 2014
I am reviewing this book as the latest and possibly last in the Quarry series; be mindful to read them in order of writing NOT the titles. In many respects to read them all is a bit like reading a 1500 page book because the early books outline the life of Quarry and what he does and how he develops his 'business' and subsequent books are very much of the same format; a hit with a twist and further twist at the end interlaced with copious liaisons with nubile women of assorted ages. I very much like the writing style of Max Allan Collins with the humour he introduces to his character and the straight forward "I shot him in the head" descriptions of the killings rather than the over the top, not believable shoot outs that occur in books by more celebrated authors. I read them one after the other and although some slightly better than others, thoroughly enjoyed them and I hope I haven't seen the last of Mr Quarry.

The Target (Will Robie Series)
The Target (Will Robie Series)
by David Baldacci

2.0 out of 5 stars What is David Baldacci doing.....?, 9 May 2014
The first Robie book was an excellent start; the second had its moments but was pushing credibility too far which spoilt the emergence of Jessica Reel, now "The Target" does it all over again. Baldacci is an excellent author but at times you would think he is writing under pressure to deliver so many books in a given time frame and as a consequence the quality has diminished alarmingly. I enjoyed the book by blanking out sections which will sound strange but I think you have to or you wonder what is the author up to. The starting plot is excellent and well written; the move to North Korea equally good, even the side plot with the neo-Nazis was interesting until the outcome when once again the hero just seems to have access to anyone and everything to secure a result. It marginally got back on track with the original theme and then out of the blue they are off to a rescue mission deep inside North Korea with an ex-pat who just happened along and was willing to ‘help’; the whole episode was so poor it ruined the remainder of the book. I can accept a lot of literary licence but Baldacci is over doing it and ruining it for two potentially interesting characters. He did the same with his Maxwell and King and John Pullen books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2014 3:53 PM BST