Profile for thedorklady > Reviews

"thedorklady"

Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful soundtrack, perfectly rounding off the trilogy, 23 Nov. 2003
The previous two soundtracks for Peter Jackson's trilogy adaptation og LOTR, have been brilliant pieces of music. The choice of Howard Shore to be the films' composer was a work of genius.
I expected this soundtrack, like I do the last film, to leave the others far behind, and I was not disappointed.
In a number of tracks we revisit the various themes we have met before, including the Rohirrim theme, and the Hobbit "Hym", each time in a new way. The overall theme of the music on the soundtrack is far more meloncholic, and bittersweet. Especially "The White Tree: The Steward of Gondor" which also featured a surprisingly good solo from Billy Boyd (Pippin).
"The Return Of The King" is a track which will remind listeners of "The Breaking of the Fellowship" from FOTR. This track almost ties up all of the various themes from the films, like the film will with the various plot threads.
Annie Lennox's "Into the West" is a beautiful, heart-touching song, far-surpassing the credit songs from the previous two filsm. It helps to enhance the emotions felt throughout the film, and especialy from the part of the story from whence it got it's title.
This soundtrack is perfect for any film fan, and a must-have for all Tolkien-fans. For new-comers to the films, and/or the music, I higly recommend this, as it sums up the entire trilogy of films.

Underworld
Underworld
Offered by SDRC

4.0 out of 5 stars Melancholy, angry ~ Perfect vampire/werewolf film soundtrack, 9 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Underworld (Audio CD)
I got this the other day, and I've listened to it so many times. I normally don't buy soundytrack's before I see the film, but htis time I had to.
I was disappointed to find that the music from both of the trailers was not preent on the soundtrack, but this is a great selection of music.
The first time I listened to it, I didn't like it so much. But I've gradually gotten used to it. The music is a combination of melancholy, bitter-sweet and angry, rock style. I think that it perfectly sums up a vampire/wereworlf's persona (although that could be just me!!).
One of my favourite tracks is Bring Me the Disco King. It's the first song I've actually liked by David Bowie and v. cool. The actual score (there are occasional pieces. The music by renholder are pieces of score) is quite strange, and mostly the same each time and kinda boring, but they add to the feel.
Over all I think that this is a good and cool soundtrack. I can't wait to the see the film, and I'ms ure it's gonna be as cool as the soundtrack!!