Profile for WinstonSmith > Reviews

Content by WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith (UK)

Sunday School [Us Import]
Sunday School [Us Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of nowhere! Most under-rated West Coast rap album ever, 25 Mar. 2014
I do not know why more people are not aware of this legendary album. It's one of those where every track has it's merits, I find myself playing this in the car a lot and rarely skip a track.

Musically this sounds like a cross between Warren G - Regulate G Funk Era and Snoop Dogg - Tha Last Meal. I consider this to be G-funk of the highest quality. Suga Free has an often amazingly fast flow and lively, conversational style which I think is very unique. Lyrically, this is all about pimping and humorous (if pretty hardcore) mysogyny.

Some criticize Sugafree for slating the ladies but lets be fair, you can listen to any number of albums with lyrics about men being shot to death, let alone slapped around so less of the double standards please.

So if you're hesitating, get this album as it is becoming rare now!

Can't wait to hear more from Suga Free, he's a very talented rapper and humourist.

Eddie Murphy - Delirious [DVD]
Eddie Murphy - Delirious [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Gowers
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie's best, 12 Mar. 2014
Barring the rather dated and cringe-worthy gags about aids and gays this is legendary stand-up.

The characters Eddie brings to life are so vivid and hilarious.

In short, this DVD has had more re-watches than most in my collection. Get it before the PC brigade ban it!

Cha'mone Mo'Fo' Selecta! A Tribute To Michael Jackson [DVD]
Cha'mone Mo'Fo' Selecta! A Tribute To Michael Jackson [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leigh Francis
Offered by Revolution Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, 12 Mar. 2014
Every generation has at least one comedy that the previous generation just don't get.

This is ours.

I am an MJ fan but as long as you don't take it too seriously (hint - it's comedy) you will laugh at this. Well worth looking into the older Bo Selecta Michael Jackson stuff too.

You can tell this is an affectionate parody and from the poignant way Leigh Francis ends this, you can also tell Leigh Francis is obviously a real MJ fan from the many obscure references in the tribute.

Also rumour has it, that the IRL MJ thought Leigh Francis' "Michael Jackass" character was hilarious.

So sit back and enjoy!

Oz - Complete Season 1-6 [DVD]
Oz - Complete Season 1-6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harold Perrineau Jr
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary series, poor packaging., 12 Mar. 2014
Whenever anyone says to me, "Watch -insert name of new American series here- it's soooooooooooo amazing", I always say the same thing.

You can keep your WIRE and your Breaking Bad or whatever it is you're trying to push on me - it will NEVER be as good as Oz was.

And I'm always right too.

This series is very dark and compelling and I doubt very much it will ever be bettered.

My only complaint is the cheapness of the disks being crammed into cardboard slots that look like they're designed to scratch disks - not cool HBO, this deserves a nice solid box.

Super [DVD] [2010]
Super [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Rainn Wilson
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR SUPERIOR TO KICK ASS, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Super [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is one of my all time favourite films.

The sad thing is, this is all too likely to be compared to Kick Ass. Kick Ass is like an ultra-bland, glossy version of this, with an inferior plot line and characters. It's like a vanilla version, which came out later on.

Super is the one you want as it is much darker and funnier. It also has loads more heart.

This will have you laughing and warming to the characters, despite the fact that they are both a bit mentally ill.

One of the most underrated films ever IMO, you should buy it. And if possible, be your own super hero and buy elsewhere rather from Amzon, cos they treat their staff like s*** from what I hear.

Born Inna Babylon
Born Inna Babylon

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album from YT, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Born Inna Babylon (Audio CD)
Don't know why this guy doesn't get more recognition. What a legend!

This is more laid back than his previous album, the legendary YT and has fewer dancehall type tracks.

Nice one to chill out to.

There are so many good tracks on here it's well worth getting. Nice uplifting melodic reggae/ragga - what more do you want?

Long may this man continue!!

More True Talk [Explicit]
More True Talk [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Rekindling my faith in hip hop., 12 Mar. 2014
Rap isn't dead, you just have to search a bit deeper for the good stuff these days.

This is how it should be done. Lyrics with heart and music with depth.

I hope Logic continues making music like this. If you've looked this album up you're into conscious hip hop anyway, so just buy it. These guys deserve more recognition and if you can afford it, give them the seven quid.

This is the sort of stuff you want to be buying, not pirating. 'Cos we all want more of the same.

Meltdown
Meltdown
by Ben Elton

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a massive fan of Ben and this was a good read, but..., 9 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Meltdown (Paperback)
I have read most of Ben Elton's books and really enjoy them. This book is very well written and the characters are believable. My only criticizm is the fact that the ending seems incredibly rushed. He spends all this time setting up an intruiging story only to rush the ending, effectively saying 'And that was the end of that, all is well: The End'.

I can only imagine that the publisher was on the phone saying "Hurry up, Ben!!!". I don't read a lot of popular fiction but I'm told this is a common problem. Some people have a whinge about the fact that some of his old comedy gags sneak their way into the story - well, that's a big plus for me, I would LOVE to see The Man from Auntie again and anything that reminds me of this puts a smile on my face.

I would recommend all Ben's other books before this one, mostly because of the rushed ending. Get Past Mortem and Blind Faith before this - they are amazingly written, extremely funny and have proper endings.