Profile for Claire Cottrill > Reviews

Content by Claire Cottrill

Claire Cottrill (Channel Islands, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Season 1
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Witty, Fab Acting, 28 April 2017
Smart and funny with great acting, a fab soundtrack and moves at the right pace. This show kept my attention all the way through right from the beginning, with relatable characters and top quality writing (especially the character of Maisie who I love). I can't wait for this show to continue - please don't keep us in suspense!!!

Sluban SlubanM38-B0523 Camper Building Bricks Set
Sluban SlubanM38-B0523 Camper Building Bricks Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Impressed!, 2 July 2016
I bought this for my 5 year Lego obsessed daughter, we have a lot of the (quite pricey) Lego friends sets and this is very like their campervan. Wasn't expecting too much for the price, just looking for a little treat, but wow I'm so impressed! Packaging is good with easy, clear instructions (very similar artwork/colours to Lego). The pieces themselves are good quality and fit together well. Stickers were great and the character that comes with this set is actually better than usual Lego - her head moves up and down and her body turns at the waist. The van is just gorgeous when made, with great little details like tinted window panes, a phone sticker for the selfie stick and a steering wheel that turns, plus everything is compatible with existing Lego. My daughter absolutely loves it - I've ordered other sets in the range and would thoroughly recommend this one.

The Ninnies
The Ninnies

4.0 out of 5 stars Magrs Lite For Juniors - Ok And Adults!, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Ninnies (Kindle Edition)
'The Ninnies' centres on 14 year old Alan (who is also the narrator) investigating the creepy disappearance of his father and subsequent mystery of the horrible 'Ninnies'. Although the book is written for younger readers (I'd say 11+ but do be careful with sensitive kids), as a 37 year old established Magrs fan I enjoyed it too! Fellow fans will recognise the northern down-to-earth setting and trademark Magrs characters, mixed into a nice little creepy story with a dramatic climax - and great illustrations. What you won't get of course are the scarier elements found in his adult books, instead I found this had definite shades of Roald Dahl.
Letting the book down slightly were the typographical errors (I read the kindle version) and at one point Alan's mother seems to call him Robert. Also, for me, some of the characters spoke in a slightly unconvincing way (maybe kids wouldn't notice).

I'd recommend this book to kids aged over 11 years who like a creepy (sometimes yukky) mystery. Grown up Magrs fans who want something a little lighter than his usual work will find it enjoyable as a holiday read.

666 Charing Cross Road
666 Charing Cross Road

4.0 out of 5 stars A Scary Thriller!, 24 Jun. 2013
This is the scariest Magrs book I've read yet, having arrived here via Brenda & Effie then To The Devil - A Diva!

Starting as a supernatural mystery the book evolves into a fast paced thriller. On the plus side: the writing flows and the story moves and surprises at a good pace. There are a few gory moments which go a bit further then the other books I've read (and personally aren't to my taste) but overall the tone is good old menacing and scary with some genuine edge of seat moments - and a few teasers thrown in for us B&E fans!

On the downside: I wasn't so involved with all the characters, possibly due to the US setting (although don't let that put you off, you'll soon settle in).

Overall though, it's a thoroughly enjoyable, scary romp. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in a vampire themed thriller for holiday reading or just under the covers at Midnight.

One last word: where's Henry Cleavis when you need him??

To the Devil - a Diva!
To the Devil - a Diva!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brenda & Effie - The Missing Chapters!, 16 Jun. 2013
I wasn't sure about reading this book given the mixed reviews, however I'm a huge fan of the Brenda & Effie series and wanted more so I decided to give it a whirl. There are a few errors in other reviews so I'd like to clarify: the only characters here from 'Brenda & Effie' are Karla, Fox & Magda Soames and Henry Cleavis (briefly and let's say surprisingly!). As to the chronology of the book, well I think this is probably meant to have taken place before Karla's visit to Whitby.
Overall this is an entertaining book. Some good new characters show up who I wouldn't mind hearing more of and the author's writing style doesn't change from the Whitby books. Yes there is some gay sexual content but this is brief and hardly shocking and is relevant to the plot (you could easily skip a few lines if it's not your thing). Although you could read this book without reading the Whitby series, for fellow B&E fans it's a must read as we discover the back stories of Karla, Fox and Magda (and it's hot stuff!).
I've only given 4 stars as the book does sometimes feel like missing chapters from the Whitby books reworked into a novel, and the plot itself is quite sparse when you look
back at it. However the book is still well worth reading; it held my interest throughout, it added to my enjoyment of the Whitby novels and I'm glad I gave it a go.

The Saboteur Within
The Saboteur Within

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, Clear & Life Changing, 12 May 2013
I read this book after a friend recommended it on Facebook. Principally I was after a reason for my continual diet sabotaging and bingeing. It's fair to say I'd worked it out within 30 mins of reading, after years of brain wracking; I was also astounded at the reasons I came up with. Soon other issues started to come up and I discovered deep rooted old ideas I didn't even realise were there, which I set about changing with the help of this book.

The book contains exercises to do alone or with a friend; I did them alone so don't feel you'll need a partner. Never patronising or flippant, Matt simply speaks to you like a good friend giving you sound advice. A wonderful, uplifting book for all ages, whether your problem is physical (yes physical), emotional or psychological and one I'll refer to many times.

Atkins Endulge Chocolate Coconut, Low Carb, Low Sugar Snack Bar, 15 x 35g
Atkins Endulge Chocolate Coconut, Low Carb, Low Sugar Snack Bar, 15 x 35g

5.0 out of 5 stars Bounty-Tastic, 28 Nov. 2011
I used to be addicted to Bounty bars, I bought packs of 5 and frequently ate them all in one go (don't know how I got fat...). I can guarantee anyone reading this that the bars taste EXACTLY like a Bounty. The only minor difference is the thickness of the chocolate but that's a minor quibble.

One thing to note - unfortunately the majority of these Atkins bars are not vegetarian (they contain 'hydrolysed collagen' aka gelatine). However these bars are vegetarian, as are the chocolate crisp bars.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2014 3:48 PM BST

Garth Pig and the Icecream Lady (Picturemacs S.)
Garth Pig and the Icecream Lady (Picturemacs S.)
by Mary Rayner

5.0 out of 5 stars Teach kids about stranger danger with this entertaining read., 8 Nov. 2010
I was bought this book as a 5 year old; it was so amazing I remembered it all my life and am now buying it 30 years later for my daughter. The book is a very entertaining story centering on young Garth Pig, who is lured away by a seemingly friendly ice cream van lady (really a wolf in disguise!). On one level it's a thrilling story to read (will he escape, will his family rescue him?) on another it's a great way to teach young kids about being wary of strangers, however kindly and safe they may seem. The lesson certainly worked on me, I read the book over and over and never forgot it. Buy this book if you want to teach a young child about stranger danger without frightening them, whilst giving them a story they'll love.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2015 9:02 PM GMT

Lost In Blue 3 (Nintendo DS)
Lost In Blue 3 (Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive Survival Fun!, 30 Dec. 2008
For those of you new to Lost in Blue, the basic game setup is as follows: you play as a girl or boy character (your choice) who's shipwrecked on an island along with another passenger. The idea is for the two of you to survive day to day, whilst exploring the island and searching for an escape. Along the way you'll discover a couple of other characters and voila! before you know it a mysterious storyline unfolds.

Lost in Blue 3 is basically similar to the other 2 games in the series, but the more complex storyline (and ironed out glitches) makes it even more fun to play. Plus having several 'bases' dotted around the island makes it easier to explore, as you don't have to keep going back to the same cave.

Visually the game looks fab and with lovely music to boot it makes play great fun. It's your choice whether you use the stylus or the button controls (I like a mix of both). Daily survival is an addictive process in itself: hunting for food, building tools, checking the shoreline for useful items, creating recipes from hell (mushrooms and oysters with seaweed and coconut are a staple meal in Lost in Blue!) and unlocking little gems such as the ability to create shell necklaces. You have total free rein to wander anywhere you choose, but beware of unexpected large animals or the odd typhoon. The more you discover the more sophisticated your existence - as soon as I worked this out I couldn't put it down.

This game is for you if: you like role playing, you enjoy creative games where you need to think for yourself and you like to play at your own pace.

If you like this I'd also recommend The Sims 2: Castaway (Nintendo DS). It's a bit of a Lost in Blue rip-off but huge fun and well worth buying.

Perfect Phrases for Customer Service: Hundreds of Tools, Techniques, and Scripts for Handling Any Situation (Perfect Phrases Series)
by Robert Bacal

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch!, 27 Nov. 2008
I bought this book to use at work, as part of my job involves Customer Services. It was brilliant (in fact I read it all in one go) and it now lives under my desk! The opening chapter deals with general basics which are a useful reminder, however it's the rest of the book that earns its stripes. Just about every situation you could think of is presented clearly and concisely, each to a separate page, with examples of how a conversation may go and how to respond. I've encountered some super tricky Customers (you know who you are!) and this book has shown me how to handle them all.
I've now changed my Customer 'scripts' to fit in with the book and this has proved very successful, with some great feedback from happy Customers. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in this area.

Page: 1 | 2