Profile for Mel R > Reviews

Content by Mel R

Mel R "MAR" (Gloucestershire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Without a Front: The Warrior's Challenge (Chronicles of Alsea Book 3)
Without a Front: The Warrior's Challenge (Chronicles of Alsea Book 3)
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I initially had mixed feelings that it would in some way detract from the on line version I had loved and re-read many times, 13 Jan. 2016
Without a Front - Chronicles of Alsea - Fletcher Delancey.

The Caphenon. Producer’s Challenge and Warrior’s Challenge

This trilogy arose from a Voyager fanfic written many years ago. It was a story arc I read avidly and could not put down. I had many a sleepless night being determined to go to sleep after the end of this chapter...to no avail!

When I discovered that Fletcher was writing a prequel, The Caphenon, I initially had mixed feelings that it would in some way detract from the on line version I had loved and re-read many times. I need not have feared ,for the World of Alsea was safe in the tender care and imagination of Fletcher Delancey.

I never give out spoilers in a review, I hate it when others do so don't expect plotlines and story arcs in detail.

The Caphenon creates the world of Alsea in a well paced and thrilling story of invasion, betrayal, courage and fortitude. The characters leap from the pages and their back stories are revealed seamlessly as each scene unfolds. At no time did I think ‘Oh heck..an info dump!’ (Fletcher’s description of the ploy sadly overused by some authors to fill in the gaps about a character or a world). I was drawn into the culture and traditions of Alsea and each revealed another layer of the care that Fletcher takes with her creations, and the skill with which she writes.

The subsequent two parts, Producer’s challenge and Warrior’s challenge were the parts that Fletcher adapted from the fanfic, removing the Voyager link and creating an totally new and entirely plausible race of space travellers, whose input to The Caphenon set the scene for the world of Alsea and for the second and third parts of the story arc.

The idea of Tyree bondmates is compelling, the central role of the family and the Caste system of Alsea made perfect sense as it unfolded.
I really loved the language of time that Fletcher created, ticks and hanticks etc. I strongly advise reading the addendum first where these terms are explained. It does make the timing of the stories more easily understood.

Fletcher also created an entire vocabulary of term and curses that I found fascinating. Their meanings clear from the first time they are used but also so very much of Alsea.
These are just a few terms I particularly liked and that made me smile at their lyrical cleverness and clarity of meaning.

‘Hunting up the wrong tree’
’Deeper than he can wade’
’Skin sealer on a deep cut’‘
‘Knife calling the sword a blade’

‘Spawn of a fantenshekken’ ( a delightful curse I shall shamelessly steal for my own use..with FD’s permission!!)
‘Settle’. The order to ‘Stand at ease’ given to the Warriors.

The trilogy has been read avidly, left queued on my Kindle for I shall surely re-visit them soon as, I am sure, I have ,missed much in my rush to get the stories read.

Anyone who enjoys other world stories will not be disappointed in these three well paced and fascinating stories. If you want rampant sex, ( and I never do...in a story anyway!) look elsewhere. If you want good writing, action, intrigue, emotional impact (have the tissues ready!) and to enjoy a world that is honourable and egalitarian...look no further. Chronicles Of Alsea have it all. Good job Fletcher!

Without a Front: The Producer's Challenge (Chronicles of Alsea Book 2)
Without a Front: The Producer's Challenge (Chronicles of Alsea Book 2)
Price: 6.49

Without a Front - Chronicles of Alsea - Fletcher Delancey.

The Caphenon. Producer’s Challenge and Warrior’s Challenge

‘Hunting up the wrong tree’
’Deeper than he can wade’
’Skin sealer on a deep cut’‘
‘Knife calling the sword a blade’

‘Settle’. The order to ‘Stand at ease’ given to the Warriors.

The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker Series)
The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker Series)
by C.S. Quinn
Price: 7.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characters and well written, 27 Nov. 2015
I was gripped by this book. Great characters and well written. I am afraid I had to stop reading it at the scene where the woman was burned...sorry...couldn't take any more evil terrible horror scenes....as mentioned by another reviewer...more like Zombie apocalypse. I will return to it after I have read some feel good chick lit!!

BenQ GL2250HM LED TN Panel 21.5 inch W Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080, DVI, HDMI, Speakers, 12M:1, 2 ms GTG and 1000:1) - Glossy Black
Price: 88.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Nov. 2015
Great screen. Clear colours. Black bezel and stand does show dust but small thing...just have to dust more often!!

Kontrol Slimline Moisture Trap - White
Kontrol Slimline Moisture Trap - White
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased., 23 Nov. 2015
Arrived swiftly. Work very well... judging by amount of water collected. I am pleased.

Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Black
Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Black
Price: 159.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit!, 11 Sept. 2015
As expected from Sony. Superb quality sound. Player is easy to use and load. SD card makes it poss to load thousands of trax. I am delighted!!

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 1)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 1 Aug. 2015
This story,well written and carefully crafted, kept me gripped from start to finish. The finish was so out of left field, I almost gasped at its cunning and certainly didnt see it coming. The main protagonist, Kim, who keeps the world from touching her with armour forged in years of hard life experience...is a delight and the subtleties of her interactions are clever and draw you in. I never give away plotlines in review...but go read it. You will not be disappointed

Samsung 64GB MicroSDXC 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Class 10 memory card - memory cards (MicroSDXC, -25 - 85 C, Orange, White, -40 - 85 C, UHS-I, Class 10)
Offered by City_of_memory15
Price: 13.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill Kit, 1 Aug. 2015
Arrived quickly.... and seamlessly loaded a great deal of music, in a very short time. Loaded to my MP3 with no problems.

iGadgitz Black Leather Flip Case Cover for Sony Walkman NWZ-A15 NWZ-A17 NW-A25 NW-A27 8GB 16GB 32GB & 64GB with Detachable Carabiner + Belt Loop + Magnetic Closure + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for NWZ A-15, 1 Aug. 2015
This case fits my NWZ A-15 perfectly. It has a positive close fit and the MP3 player will,most certainly, NOT fall out. I will point out that the very positive closure does close over and under the end of the case, this means that to charge the MP3 you have to leave the case open. A minor problem. I am pleased with it.

The Photographer's Wife
The Photographer's Wife
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 6 July 2015
I was hooked from the first page. A story that starts from two places and meets beautifully at the end...with a twist I didnt see coming. Great characters...atmospheric narrative...I never reveal plots in reviews...it spoils it for the next reader...go be that reader...you won't regret it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11