Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Speedlink SL-8691-SBK-01 Spes Clip-On Microphone - Black
Speedlink SL-8691-SBK-01 Spes Clip-On Microphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Jun. 2017
Arrived on time and does exactly what it claims to do.

"King Richard III" (Shakespeare in Performance)
"King Richard III" (Shakespeare in Performance)
by Hugh M. Richmond

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2016
Excellent book, as it is very well written and researched

20 Pocket Door Hanging Tidy Organiser Storage Rack
20 Pocket Door Hanging Tidy Organiser Storage Rack
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., 25 July 2016
Exactly what we wanted, and it is exactly as described. Very useful.

Zoostorm Origin Desktop PC, Intel Core i5-4460, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, DVD/RW, WiFi, Windows 10 Home

1.0 out of 5 stars Less than six months after buying = unusable, 11 Jun. 2016
Less than 6 months since I had this delivered and the hard disk has crashed. The start up is affected and as it won't start at all I cannot load my back up files or disk recovery image. System restore won't run and although repair and scan runs from the diagnostics, it always reports "repair unsuccessful".

I bought it as Windows 10 ready and so I was part of the Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade scheme but now I guess I'll need to buy the operating system if I install a new hard drive. I have manged to access the disc via my laptop, over home network settings, and rescued as much data as I can but some directories (documents and videos for two) just come up empty - presumably where there are disk errors,
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2016 10:24 PM BST

Redomones and Eye to the Future
Redomones and Eye to the Future
by Alan MacGillivray

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for Everyone, 22 Jan. 2016
Something for Everyone

There’s something for everyone in this collection. I had heartbreak and smiles and chuckles of recognition and sighs of other kinds of recognition as I read it.

‘In Balladia’ was a very interesting exploration of the stories that have come to us from Ballad lore, with interspersed comments in a modern idiom that cannot fail to raise a laugh: “See that Elfin Queen, she was a goer, I can tell you.”

There are: political poems, nature poems, a group centring around the extraordinary figure of Robert Bontine Cunninghame (including a wonderful recreation of when he buried his wife); there’s another set with Spanish and Catalonian connections.

Then there is also a run of ‘in memoriam’ poems. "Anger" was really searing, I couldn't get it out of my head. I have read it more times than any other.

There are poems in Standard English, poems in Scots, concrete poems and sonnets among the smorgasbord on offer.

There’s even a visit to Raymond Chandler land in “Hello My Lovely” which is beautifully observed with lines such as: "the way she crossed her legs/ reminded the lazy frog in my throat/ of its licence to jump."

I think my very favourite poem in the collection is 'Perfect Image'. Every verse in this sad catalogue of the shameful ways in which women are treated was very powerful but one was downright unbearably so. It includes these lines:

Last month I took
The family to see a poor, blind aunt
Who lives alone, since long ago she took
The wrong path. Sad to see how acid can’t
Be gentle as an instrument of honour.

Yet picking favourites never works because so many different emotions are evoked that comparison becomes proverbially odious. Take, for example, the vivid delicacy of “Watershed” which captures a near-ineffable moment in human relationships.
There’s much to do with Scotland throughout, in addition to a separate collection of poems inspired by the referendum on independence. Not many Scots, I would have thought, can do other than nod enthusiastically to the caustic "BBC Weather Map" which reflects on that British corporation’s re-drawing of the British Isles for obvious reasons.

Scottish poetry and education as well as politics are deftly explored. We get to eavesdrop on the poet as he prepares to make a recording in honour of the late Eddie Morgan. This is followed immediately by 'Morganstern' which brings Morgan rushing back into the reader’s minds: ‘footsteps and witnesses’, indeed. Norman MacCaig is also paid tribute to and those of us lucky enough to have met that extraordinary man will recognise how apt the phrase used here, 'jabbing a long sardonic finger', is.

My favourite amongst a whole swathe of topical/political pieces was "Welcome". This needs to be printed as a replacement for the front pages of the likes of The Daily Mail and given as prominent a place in shops and as wide a readership.

You can see I am trying to expand my use of the word ‘favourite’ by applying it to subsections. I should just instead say that there are many other stand-outs. Among these “Creationists Ahoy” very much appeals to me as it firmly nails the dangerously deluded targets of its scorn:

Yet up they rise from know-nothing bogs
raising their banners on high,
proclaiming the old-time religion
with the same old pig-headed cry:

These poems are far from all being polemical, however. There is, as I said, something for everyone, light poems, heavy poems, optimistic poems, sad poems, reflective poems, and illuminating poems. And they come in a dazzling array of styles.

F**k: An Irreverent History of the F-Word
F**k: An Irreverent History of the F-Word
by Rufus Lodge

5.0 out of 5 stars The tone is brilliantly maintained throughout - witty, 23 Dec. 2015
This is a delightful book. The tone is brilliantly maintained throughout - witty, pithy, well researched, genuine lol moments. Just delightful - an effing joy, you might say!

Argon Tableware Black Non Slip Serving Tray - 35x45cm (14x18")
Argon Tableware Black Non Slip Serving Tray - 35x45cm (14x18")
Offered by Rinkit Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly effectve, 18 Oct. 2015
Brilliantly useful. It's great.

Synology DS115j 1 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this, 18 Oct. 2015
Works perfectly, very useful

Foxy Night (3Cd Box)
Foxy Night (3Cd Box)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlike these great discs I am going to sound like a broken ..., 1 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Foxy Night (3Cd Box) (Audio CD)
Unlike these great discs I am going to sound like a broken record here. Every time one of these chunky black boxes with the white writing joins my live Springsteen shelves I feel the same. It's just Bruce at his glorious best. Whichever one you are listening to at the time seems to be the best one as you can't imagine anything else being better.I love 'em all, I love the way they look on my shelves, I love to turn 'em up high and rock the night away.

Page: 1 | 2