Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Content by Kindle Customer

Kindle Customer

Page: 1 | 2
Before I Die Again: The Autobiography of the Founder of the Samaritans (Biography & Memoirs)
by Chad Varah

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good., 12 Jan. 2017
Arrived quickly and was just what I wanted.
I hadn't realised it was quite so thick; it will take me a while to get through. (Some would say "keep me out of mischief".)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 Jan. 2017
This was a present for someone.
It arrived quickly; no complaints.

12 Days of Christmas Wine Glass Charms (Mixed Christmas Colour Beads) with Christmas Organza Gift Bag Handmade by Libby's Market Place
Offered by Libby's Market Place

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 12 Jan. 2017
Ordered 3 sets of these as presents.
They arrived quickly, in a very pretty gauze bag and were quite charming (no pun intended!)

I think the recipients were happy with them.

Hapilife New Heavy Duty Orchestral Sheet Music Stand
Hapilife New Heavy Duty Orchestral Sheet Music Stand
Offered by Funime

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid stand, 12 Jan. 2017
Arrived quickly, very well packaged; looks sturdy and was simple to assemble.

I may use this as a music stand, but the intended purpose is for it to hold puppets, magic tricks ready for when I need them. I have not had reason to use it for this yet, but I don't see any problem in doing so. I love the wide top, which will hold several items.

The Walk of the Spirit - The Walk of Power: The Vital Role of Praying in Tongues

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably good teaching, IF you speak in tongues, 5 Jan. 2016
This book is for Christians who speak in tongues; the author assumes this all the way through. There is an appendix at the end which lists hindrances to receiving this gift - but it is assumed that you bought the book because you already have it, and want to learn more about it.

The first few pages were fine, even quite inspiring. But it wasn't long before I started to have misgivings. (Excuse the list.)
1. The author frequently uses the term "the Holy Ghost". This is really more of an irritation than a misgiving. He refers to "the Holy Spirit" as well, and I assume he believes that they are the same person, although this isn't always clear.
2. As I said, he assumes that the reader speaks in tongues, there is no advice for those who don't have this gift, or have questions about it.
For myself, I can't speak in tongues. I am certain that the gift exists and is for today; I have asked to receive it, and haven't. This used to bother me a lot, and I'm certain the devil was happy with that - he could focus my attention on my disappointment, and hint that I wasn't good enough to receive it. Now, however, I am sometimes glad that I don't have this gift, as I can focus on God and not on a dramatic gift. I believe absolutely that tongues are important, beneficial, may help the believer communicate with God and release his power. But I refute the implication that anyone who does not pray in tongues does not know their gift or calling or is just "playing" at it.
3. I am certain there are more than 9 gifts of the Spirit. Reference is only made to 1 Corinthians 12 and Ephesians 4. What about Romans 12 and 1 Peter 4 ? What about the OT, where the Lord says that he was specifically giving gifts of craftsmanship to people so the ark of the covenant could be built? We are created by God and in his image. Why would an awesome, all sufficient, diverse God limit himself to having only 9 gifts?
4 The devil may well tell us that tongues don't exist or are not for today, but he can also counterfeit this gift. Nothing is said about this.

I tried to stifle these misgivings for a while and read the rest of the book. But I soon came across Roberson's belief that God does not want us to be either sick, or poor, and we should be able to defeat both, and the misgivings became alarm bells - loud ones. I do not agree at all with such a teaching; the implication is that Christians who are either sick, or poor, are not demonstrating true faith or glorifying God. I had enough of that teaching when I was ill with M.E, and some people said I would never be healed with so little faith. Well guess what? God did heal me and I still believe it. What's more, I learned a great deal during those 18 years and wouldn't change them.

There doubtless is some good teaching in this book -about persevering in prayer, for example , but I'm afraid that these issues were enough to make me skim read the rest of it. If I start to speak and pray in tongues, I may get back to it. In the meantime, however, I will probably delete this from my Kindle.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Long Dish Stand
Long Dish Stand
Offered by Bargain Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternative use., 7 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Long Dish Stand (Kitchen & Home)
I didn't buy this to use for plates but for my Godly Play creation plaques. It is a little longer than the recommended stand, but a lot cheaper and does the job just as well.

In the Mood
In the Mood

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 7 Sept. 2015
This review is from: In the Mood (MP3 Download)
I bought this specifically for a gentleman at a day centre where I volunteer. He loves it; it will always cheer him up or calm him down.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we need., 7 Sept. 2015
I have ordered these a couple of times, usually in quantities of 100. They are ideal for our monthly "Messy Church"; the children each get a bag with their name on and take home the things they have made.
Great price, and ideal for the purpose.

WORD PUZZLE for the CHRISTIAN SOUL
WORD PUZZLE for the CHRISTIAN SOUL

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to have fun and learn, 7 Sept. 2015
Very addictive. Great for learning Bible verses, because when you finish all the word puzzles from one book, you can go back, do them all again and try to beat your best time. Only a limited number of books available - or if there are more, I haven't yet found them.

Two things to be aware of; a) American spellings - i.e. Savior instead of Saviour,
b) Usually when you have the correct word it will turn red, briefly, and then white. In a few puzzles however the final word is correct but it doesn't change colour.

SEE YOURSELF
SEE YOURSELF
Offered by crucialmusic

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Anchor., 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: SEE YOURSELF (Audio CD)
This is a short song with a catchy tune and very important words; namely that there is more to a person than their dementia.
The CD is very short. The song is repeated 3 times; once as a solo, once with several voices and an instrumental version.
The singers are staff and residents in Anchor care homes.

Page: 1 | 2