Profile for Mr Edd > Reviews

Mr Edd (Florida USA)

Crocodile Shoes: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Crocodile Shoes: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jimmy Nail

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Collection made a complete anniversary for us, 2 Feb. 2015
Always loved the music on this show, In fact my wife and I regard "The Difference Between a Woman and a Man" is our song and tells our story. We are both in our 70's and we both lost our spouses after nearly 50 years of marriage. My new wife and I met and married and I now live in Florida with my American wife. We had our 3rd anniversary this month and we are blessed with having some very talented singers as friends who regaled us with songs from this album. I am slowly introducing Americans to Jimmy Nail and his brand of country music. Most songs sang at our "21 Dog Years" anniversary party were from this show. Quite a few watched the show with us on DVD and hopefully within the next few weeks I will show them "Aufweisen Pet" when the boys sell a bridge to Indians in Arizona. I am sure the Yanks will enjoy it once they get used to the Geordie accents.

Thanks Jimmy for a very pleasant anniversary all down to the music from this album. And yes a lot of guest were wearing Crocodile Shoes or something similar along with their Stetsons.

The Killing (Danish TV Series, Volume Two) [Import]
The Killing (Danish TV Series, Volume Two) [Import]
Dvd ~ Soren Malling, Sofie Grabol, Bjarne Henriksen, Lars Mikkelsen Jonas Leth Hansen

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 12 Jun. 2011
I too am converted to watching European drama after this and the Wallander and the Dragon Tattoo series.

I belong to a writing group and this show pops up in conversation regularly as a good example of screenplay and plot development, suspense, intrigue, mystery, directing, lighting and acting. It deserves all the plaudits it gets and will adorn my DVD collection for a long time. Even if just for reference purposes only. The standard has been set higher than The Wire with this series.

Can't wait for series 2

Mastering the Nikon D300/D300S
Mastering the Nikon D300/D300S
by Darrell Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good Book, 5 April 2011
Excellent book well populated with images and explanations. I also attended a workshop on this subject organised through Nikonians and it was just as good, This book came in very handy as a companion to the workshop.

I now feel very confident in going into the menus and making adjustment for whatever environment I am shooting in.

Edd

Panasonic BD60EB Blu-ray Disc Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Panasonic BD60EB Blu-ray Disc Player (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the Tin, 5 April 2011
Excellent box. Now enjoying HD programs in my study as well as on the one in my lounge.

Does everything it purports to do.

Occasionally I get pixels and breakup of of image in bad weather but works fine at all other times.

I like the search feature but I think the search gizmo needs a bit of work and it should search for programs longer than 7 days ahead and allow longer words to be put in; but other than that its very good.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Jubbly, 5 April 2011
The best thing since the book spine was invented.

Being an avid reader for what now seems hundreds of years and the old fingers feeling the age. Holding my Kibble and being able to adjust the font to a readable size for my old eyes, is wonderful, I can enjoy my reading once again.

Also finishing a book and then within seconds being able to download and start another is using technology for what it is meant for, making life easier.

The Kibble does it in spades.

I would recommend getting a nice leather cover and a small light that clips on for night time reading. These also makes reading much easier.

I have just received a new book that was on back order and I wish I had got the Kibble version as I am having difficulty holding a heavy hardback book and the font is so small I have to use a magnifying glass that it makes my appreciation of the Kibble that much more.

Well done

Rama II (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Rama II (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Sir Arthur C. Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars No better second time around, 6 Jun. 2010
I first read the series by Gentry Lee when they came out many years ago. At a loose end I thought I would give them another go again and to be honest I was just as disappointed with them as I was the first time around.

I still had them on my bookshelf except for Rama 11 so I had to buy it again. Like everyone else who have reviewed these books my opinion is no different; in fact I think they should never have been written.

The late Mr Clarke was a genius the way he wrote, the suspense and mystery, the presence of Rama and the feeling of the characters being watched by the unknown all added to the believability of the story. But the interaction between the characters and the aliens in this book was clunky and child like.

I am about to start the others yet again after finishing Rama 11 so I guess whatever I say about the Lee books and his influence doesn't matter. Anyone who is embarking on the complete story, including Clarke's first book will be just as impelled to read them all because of Mr Clarkes initial story; lets face it we all want to know what happened next.

But why oh why did we have to have so much detail about who was the father of who and why this person was the way they were because of their abusive childhood is not necessary. It is supposed to be a science fiction book not a Mils and Boon. I skipped so many passages to get to the so called interesting bits only to find that they were very child like in the story telling.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a movie or even a TV series made of Mr Clarke's vision? One day we may come across another intergalactic species and Clarke's book would be a yard stick on how to interact with them.

Thirty Seconds to Impact
Thirty Seconds to Impact
by Peter Burkill

5.0 out of 5 stars As a passenger, 11 April 2010
As a passenger on many long and short haul flights around the world I would like to congratulate Pete and Marie on putting together a book about the truth of flight BA38. I too read the book in one sitting even though the first 30 seconds are dealt with at the beginning, it was the unfolding story of the aftermath that was compelling. My sympathies to you both and the boys.

Very few passengers would realise how much goes on in regard to their safety and comfortable passage to their destination. Pete and his crew are just a sum of all the parts that make a journey. For just one part to fail because the situation hadn't arisen before is an anathema especially when the full story is untold for so long. The one thing that came across was the professionalism of Pete, John, the crew and ground rescue crew as well. But that was only the beginning. BA Should be ashamed of the way they treat their employees and a change of methodology is certainly on the cards. They expect professional conduct from their pilots and should practice what they preach in the way they treat their staff.

Reading both voices as the story unfolds is fascinating. Seeing decisions being made without knowing all the facts and then the consequences really makes this book live.

Remember the flight out of Hawaii (forgotten the flight number) when the cargo door flew off in 1989? I was on the same flight going to Sydney one month later. I was not in the least bit uneasy because of the professionalism of the crew, some years later I was on a flight into Manchester when it had to be aborted just before touch down because there was another plane on the runway. (Shades of Tenerife) The calm way the Captain told us what was happening was very reassuring.

Recognition of professionalism should be on any airline's agenda. If you are a frequent flyer this is a must read, even in flight.

The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD]
The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dominic West
Offered by scaddingk

5.0 out of 5 stars Insight to American Culture, 11 May 2009
This show; the whole 5 series, has set a standard that I think will take a long time to beat.

On the down side; as an amateur writer, I now realise I have a long way to go, but The Wire is inspirational at the same time.

Story and character development are well thought out. It took me a couple of episodes to get into the way the writers were developing the story but it was well worthwhile the wait. Even the baddies come across as real people dealing with real problems and how to resolve them. They are not cardboard cut outs as usually comes across in most cop shows. I was amazed at how I came to care about them too as human beings overcoming adversity in business.

Baltimore and life in America are real winners in this story, but only in that the story has now been told. The legacy of the show will be to see efforts being applied by the new President Obama and the steep uphill climb he has to fix it. I doubt he will in his life time, however I predict he will set into motion policies that at some time in the distant future will start to address the political, police, commercial and educational issues the show highlights.

I have watched all 5 series twice, once to see the story and again with the commentary turned on. There is a far larger back story that only becomes evident with the comments by those involved in bring the most indictable story ever to come out of the US.

Nikon D100 Digital Camera [6.1MP] - Body Only
Nikon D100 Digital Camera [6.1MP] - Body Only

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Cool Nikon, 30 July 2003
I have been a Nikon user for years, so I have accumulated numerous lenses and accessories. I have also been watching the prices of Nikon digital cameras since 1996. When I first enquired about them back then they were in the region of $40,000 Aussie Dollars way beyond my pocket. The specs were probably not up to much either. With D100 I think the wait was worthwhile. I bought mine in May 2003 and have loved every minute of it so far. The bonus was to find that all my lenses and accessories fit the D100 with very little detriment. I still have to get used to the difference in focal length and sometimes in the delay between pressing the button and the shutter firing in certain settings, but I am sure I will learn how to anticipate the action better for this minute delay. I also feel that my lenses have improved with the D100 or it could be that I can manipulate the images so much more, both in the camera and the computer.
The camera feels good and light after years of using my F801 (which I think is still a good camera), even with my long focal lenses and Speedlight 25 and 26 flash’s attached it still feels very comfortable. I particularly like the auto ISO so I don’t have to think about resetting during difficult lighting situations. The auto focus sometimes gets a bit frustrating compared to the F801 but all I have to do is find something with a bit of contrast and it locks in very quickly. I really love the chance to experiment with all the settings and comparing and manipulating the images without the waiting and cost of processing film. I can take a picture of my family and within a few minutes other members of the family in Australia are viewing them. The world is shrinking and it all fits in my D100.
Love it