Profile for Mr. J. SPENCER > Reviews

Transformers: Age of Extinction Steelbook [Blu-ray]
Transformers: Age of Extinction Steelbook [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Nicola Peltz

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and frustrating!, 19 Sept. 2014
It bored the pants off me and I left the cinema pretty angry. It's been a summer full of stinkers. Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men DOFP are pretty much the only ones that were good

Daredevil By Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Omnibus
Daredevil By Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Omnibus
by Frank Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars The writer/artists without fear!, 24 Jun. 2014
This book is amazing! As a massive Frank Miller fan I was eager to get this as I'd only read about his and Klaus Janson's time on the title and small details about the plots etc. I was never a huge fan of Daredevil but since I've started collecting the recent stuff by Mark Waid (which is excellent by the way) I felt I finally needed to get this omnibus and explore what I was told was some of the best stories and art in comics history. After completing it I was completely blown away! It has depth, emotion, a more adult feel and is really engaging. For me this is up there with Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing! Both writers redifined the characters they worked on!

Something that did surprise me was that some elements from the Frank Miller/Klaus Janson run were used in the Daredevil movie from 2003. Those elements though could not save it though because the film sucked. Heavily.

Oh well. I recommend this book to anyone who likes their comic books with more rounded characters and clever, engaging plots!

Superman: The Silver Age Newspaper Dailies Volume 1: 1959-1961 (Superman: the Silver Age Dailies)
by Jerry Siegel

5.0 out of 5 stars Up Up And Away!!! In The Silver Age!, 11 April 2014
This is a brilliant piece of work. I'm a massive fan of Jerry Siegel's writing and Curt Swan's art. There are some really cracking Superman stories in this volume especially the newspaper strip adaption of the 'Superman's return to Krypton' story. Can't wait for the next volume and I hope its as fantastic as this one! I reccomend this highly!

The Two Ronnies Collection [DVD]
The Two Ronnies Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ronnie Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic comedy at its best!, 10 April 2014
Very happy with this. Its my week off so I've had the pleasure of watching the seasons in quick succession. I reccommend this to all fans of classic comedy. Or just comedy!

Batman: The Silver Age Newspaper Comics Volume 1 (1966-1967)
Batman: The Silver Age Newspaper Comics Volume 1 (1966-1967)
by Whitney Ellsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars BAT-TASTIC!!!!, 8 April 2014
So happy when I got this. Already own the 1943-1946 Dailies and 1943-1946 Sunday Classics volumes and enjoyed those lots so I was expecting good things from this collection and I have not been disappointed. This collection is fantastic. Excellent stories, great art and just the fact that it's Batman makes this an essential purchase for any Bat-fan! Enjoy!

Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Ice Warriors [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 16 July 2013
Waited so long for this to be released. I have the story on VHS and absolutely love it. Finally get to see episodes 2 and 3 on screen! In animation obviously but it gives a good idea of what was actually broadcast. Looking forward to it!

Doctor Who Revisitations, Vol. 1 (The Caves of Androzani / The Talons of Weng-Chiang / Doctor Who: The Movie) [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Remastered and re....um...wait...ah forget it!, 9 July 2013
Bought this boxset along with the other two Revisitations box sets and all 'Special Edition' releases that are out at the moment. I think these Special Editions are brilliant. Improved sound, picture quality and new special features which give more background to the stories (plus a few extra light-hearted ones!)I'm looking forward now to the blu-ray release of Spearhead From Space (yes I know its the third release of the same story but it intrigues me and I reckon it will look amazing!) Also The Ice Warriors. The last Pat Troughton story I need to complete his tenure on the show. Already have the soundtracks and DVDs up to date. I'm hoping The Tenth Planet will be good too. Animated last episode and the surviving episodes being cleaned up from their original VHS release. Blimey, this went a bit off tandem. Original point - These are great. Phew!Doctor Who: Revisitations Box Set - Volume 1 (The Caves Of Androzani / The Talons Of Weng-Chiang / Doctor Who - The Movie) [DVD] [1974]

Century 21: Classic Comic Strips from the Worlds of Gerry Anderson: Menace from Space
by Chris Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 4 Nov. 2012
After getting the first four volumes of 'Century 21' I was expecting good things from the next. Had to wait a long time but it seems all the waiting was worth it. This new volume is simply brilliant and the production values from the new publishing company make the book look absolutely wonderful. Can't reccomend this enough!

The Complete Gerry Anderson
The Complete Gerry Anderson
by Chris Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 15 Nov. 2011
This is a brilliant book and very essential because I own the boxsets of Gerry Anderson's productions from 'Four Feather Falls' to 'Terrahawks'. It's handy because it gives very detailed info on all the shows (notes, episode gaffes etc.)which is great because before we only had 'The Complete Book of Thunderbirds' and 'The Complete Book of Captain Scarlet' that gave information for just those 2 series! Enjoyed reading it and using the guide when watching the shows. For example I was watching episodes of Joe 90 earlier and noticing the little details in the episodes that I wouldn't have noticed before!

Okay now to not really a criticism or a disappointment just to a thought that I thought it was going to be the same sort of layout as the previous 'The Complete books of....' Shouldn't really complain though as this book does have some brilliant photographs from behind the scenes of each series. I really enjoyed this book and I am glad that I have bought it!

To sum up: A fantastic compendium of the work of Gerry Anderson!

Peace!

The Secret Service - The Complete Series [DVD]
The Secret Service - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Unwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Lew Grade? Why? A fantastic show in a poppy the casing Matthew please!, 27 May 2011
To explain the title of my review its the incident where Mr. Lew Grade decided (Wrongly) to axe the series after just 13 episodes! The show is a little known classic and a fantastic piece of Gerry Anderson whimsy! If this weren't stopped after 13 episodes I'm sure it would have gone on to be well more brilliant than I think it already is! Very novel ideas injected into this show (Shrinking a man, putting him into a suitcase, live action as well as puppetry etc.) and they all add to the charm of 'The Secret Service'. Even revamp puppets from Captain Scarlet and Joe 90 appear. In one episode they use the colonel white puppet who seems to have used a lot of 'Just for Men' in his hair. He has a moustache too to make him look villainous!

Ah well thats a very jumbled review with maybe some uninteresting points but it sums up my opinion. A CGI revamp? (Nah only kidding). I can see it now 'Gerry Anderson's New The Secret Service'. Father Stanley Unwin voiced by um Tom Baker? Random that one!

Jolly good show!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2012 10:30 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2