Profile for Mags Gorham > Reviews

Content by Mags Gorham

Mags Gorham

Page: 1 | 2
Edge Beanbags Techbed - A Beanbag Tablet Stand Pillow Bean Bag Cushion Holder for all iPad iPad Mini iPad Air Surface eBook readers and other ebook readers - 25cm x 25cm x 31cm bean bag. Made in Wokingham, Berkshire, United Kingdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 19 May 2015
I love everything about my new techbed from the colour, to the lightweight yet durable fabric. It is easy to use, and I can read for hours now without my hands and wrists hurting. It's versatile too, I can use it with ebooks, tree books (especially heavy hardbacks!) but also to hold charts when I'm cross stitching. I recommend a techbed to everyone.

The Blemished Series: Complete Boxed Set
The Blemished Series: Complete Boxed Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable series., 10 Feb. 2015
Enjoyed these books. A good plotline. Mostly well rounded characters. The only downside was the constant use of the Scot's dialect! Not every person in Scotland is from Glasgow, or talks like that. It got pretty wearing. But that was the only 'blemish'!

The Snow Globe
The Snow Globe

3.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet., 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Snow Globe (Kindle Edition)
A bittersweet little Christmas story, beautifully written.

Prada And Prejudice (Dating Mr Darcy Book 1)
Prada And Prejudice (Dating Mr Darcy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars I was quite enjoying this for the silly fluff it ..., 7 Sept. 2014
I was quite enjoying this for the silly fluff it is, until the author transported County Clare from Ireland to Scotland! Was there no research done? There is a world of difference between writing light, romantic nonsense and gettibg basic facts wrong

Second-Hand Jane
Second-Hand Jane

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging read., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Second-Hand Jane (Kindle Edition)
A lovely warm read with rounded characters. Just the ticket for an evening on the couch with the rain lashing outside!

CAULDSTANE
CAULDSTANE

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting!, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
Each of the other reveiwers has written more eloquently than I ever could about the setting, the characters and themes of Cauldstane, so I'll simply tell you how I feel. Heartbroken to leave my friends on the last page. Envious of readers yet to travel Jenny's journey. I find myself turning on my Kindle and hoping to see somehow, magically, more writing on the screen........

The Barrels
The Barrels

1.0 out of 5 stars Woefully bad!, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Barrels (Kindle Edition)
I've never given up on a book, but The Barrels has made me reach for the delete button only six chapters in.
Quite apart from the excessive use, and misuse, of commas and the spelling mistakes, the constant misuse of words drove me crazy! Twice the word impressionable was used instead of impressive. And quite what was meant by 'The mid summer sun seemed to bounce off the calm waters, emanating everything in sight' is beyond me.
The writing is juvenile, as though a ten year old has been given a list of every adverb and adjective known to man and the instruction 'Use every last one!' Sentences are needlessly long as every thing, person and minor happening is described to within an inch of it's life.
I'll never know if the storyline was any good, as it was too bogged down in muddled prose, bad composition and non existant editing and I simply lost heart.

Low Fat Recipes: Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes (Healthy Delights Book 1)
Low Fat Recipes: Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes (Healthy Delights Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Low fat, low price, high praise!, 11 Nov. 2012
I downloaded this for free, but I would have gladly paid for it! It contains simple tasty recipes plus easy to understand nutritional information. I'm not sure what the person who left a 1 star review was looking at, but it wasn't this book! There are more than 10 recipes!
I have yet to try a recipe, but i know that all my family will be happy when I do!

Sleepwalk
Sleepwalk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but........., 29 July 2012
This review is from: Sleepwalk (Kindle Edition)
The idea for this story was good. Ellie sleep walks and has no memory of what she gets up to during the nights she sleepwalks. A series of hit and run deaths seem to point at Ellie being responsible. David is Ellie's estranged husband and father to Ollie who he brings up alone to protect him from Ellie's behaviour. Felicity bumps into David (literally) and a relationship begins. Then someone starts trying to kill Felicity and again, all roads lead to Ellie.
So, a great premise for a thriller. But the book was let down badly by the writing style and the editing (or complate lack of). It read like a teenager had penned it, the dialogue not very sophisticated at all. And sometimes the scene changed completely, so that half way through, with no benefit of a new paragraph, we are taken from one location and one conversation to another with no break. It made for confusing reading sometimes and didn't help with the flow of the story.
This is a promising story, and it won't put me off trying another by this author, but not until she gets a decent editor and her writing evolves from the classroom.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 9:13 AM BST

A Dog Named Slugger
A Dog Named Slugger

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dog Named Slugger., 8 April 2012
I have had this book on my Kindle for a good while now but put off reading it because I knew it would be sad. I was very wrong. Leigh Brill has written a heart-warming, up-lifting and inspirational account of life with cerebral palsy and the journey she embarks on with her service dog Slugger. The hard work of the trainers and the dogs, and the obvious devotion shown by everybody in these amazing organisations is apparent on every page. Even the inevitable sad ending was filled with love and hope and I found myself smiling through my tears.

Page: 1 | 2