Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race
Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it, 22 May 2017
As a computer programmer with graphic design skills, finding myself about to be out of work I decided to give this a go. I was planning to take a year out of fulltime work to be primary childcare parent, so followed the advice and built a few websites.

At the end of the year, I had one site that made me £15 a month and another that made me £50 in one hit every few months. The rest made not a penny, some of which I had put substantially more effort into than the "successful" ones.

This was over four years ago since when I struggled to find a 'real job', the year's attempt to get out of the ratrace was viewed with suspicion by potential employers. My new 'skills' were pretty much worthless and my old skills were no longer relevant. I spent three months unemployed and then got a job as a supermarket assistant to avoid signing on any longer.

Fortunately by chance the owner of a company I had applied to lived near me and there was a past skill on my CV he needed. So I got a part time job with him. This led to a sidestep and another opportunity. Now I'm back in the ratrace and glad to be.

This book is out of date and simplistic in the extreme. It was out of date even 4 years ago when I took it on. You will struggle to make money in affiliate marketing. You will not gain marketable skills building your own websites with second rate tools. You might get lucky and manage to sell some stuff on Ebay but don't bank on it.

Levy's MSSN80-TAN 2 inch Polypropylene Jacquard Weave Navajo Guitar Straps - Tan

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap looks nice and is sturdy, 27 Jan. 2016
Strap looks nice and is sturdy. But that's it, it is too stiff, it slips on the shoulder and the edges friction burned my neck. I binned it, which is a first for me.

Blue Microphones Snowball iCE USB Microphone - White
Blue Microphones Snowball iCE USB Microphone - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as described, 28 April 2012
The microphone I received was not the one described. It did not have the 3 patterns or adjustable stand. It was cardioid only and had a non-adjustable tripod. I'm returning it but now hesitate to buy it elsewhere in case I encounter the same issue. I can't find any reference to there being a cardioid only version of this microphone. I can see at least one other reviewer had the same issue.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2012 11:52 PM BST

Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
by Jenifer Tidwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read, 10 April 2007
I found this book extremely difficult to read. The typeface was not easy on the eye. It's sans serif, slightly wider than standard and not quite black. Coupled with this, the pages are a bit wider than usual so you have to follow the line further. I was looking at the words rather than reading, which proved such hard work that I gave up.

Dipping into the book randomly suggests that it contains pearls of wisdom but I'm amazed that a book on designing user interfaces has been too poorly presented to be easily readable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 10:09 AM GMT