Profile for Mr. A. Welbourn > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Welbourn

Mr. A. Welbourn (Kent, United Kingdom)

Masterplug Indoor Power TMS24-MP 24-Hour Mechanical Segment Timer
Masterplug Indoor Power TMS24-MP 24-Hour Mechanical Segment Timer

1.0 out of 5 stars Fairly annoying.., 26 Dec. 2014
Save your money and avoid this, it worked for 3 days and now doesn't turn off when set to do so. Think I'll try a more expensive digital one as I've had 3 different makes of traditional style timer all fail fairly quickly. Fairly annoying...

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Ltd. Edition Film Cell [Blu-ray] [1977]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars Lucas just can't stop tinkering. More changes for the Blu-ray release, 1 Sept. 2011
Just in case, as I know some people haven't seen Star Wars this warning contains SPOILERS

Like many I grew up with these films, but am confused, disappointed, and angry that Lucas just can't seem to stop himself tinkering where it's not needed.

There are several alterations he's made to specific points in the original trilogy that make absolutely no sense. I accept some fans will just roll with these alterations, others maybe won't even notice, but for everyone who has these 3 movies as such a large part of their childhood, what he's done (specifically to perhaps the most climactic piece of the entire saga) just beggars belief.

Now, I fully agree with him swapping out the awful puppet Yoda in The Phantom Menace for a CGI version who actually looks like Yoda. But I have other issues with the prequels so we'll leave those there.

So what's he done? A couple of things have come to light, firstly when we are first introduced to Obi-Wan in A New Hope. Creating a monstrous howl Obi-Wan scares off the Tusken Raiders attacking Luke. Now though, in a complete change, the sound Obi-Wan makes can at best be described as someone in great pain howling into an echo microphone.

Yeah, it's one sound, but sounds can make or break a scene, and to me, it breaks it horribly.

Skip forward to Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi. On approach to the gate of Jabba's we now find it has grown immensely in size and taken on a distinctly CGI look. R2 and 3PO now appear small in the bottom of frame. I don't remember any complaints about the door looking fake in any of the other versions. Why tinker? There's also a few extra aliens inside.

Again in Jedi, the Ewoks now blink... In itself not the worst change, but they've drawn strange pupils in the centre of the original glass eyes that make them look slightly creepy.

Again, SPOILER...

The worst I've seen so far though happens in the climax of the whole saga, the moment of redemption where Darth Vader turns from the dark side to save his son. With the visuals and music the scene was powerful and perfectly shot. Now, remember the much derided scene at the end of Revenge of the Sith, where Vader is told Padme has died and he wails "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"? Yeah, it was really lame.

Now imagine not one NO! but two! Glancing towards Luke Vader now says "NO!" before picking the Emperor up and shouting "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" as the force lightning hits him.

Seriously!? I have no doubt the picture quality and sound will be the best we've ever seen, just don't expect some of movies to be as good as you remember them.
Comment Comments (29) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2011 9:02 PM BST

Need for Speed Underground Classic (PC)
Need for Speed Underground Classic (PC)
Offered by marxwax

1.0 out of 5 stars Over hyped self indulgent rubbish!, 5 Jan. 2007
Seriously, don't waste you time or money on this tat! I'd read some good reviews so was looking forward to playing this, but abhor this game for several reasons...

1) 4 types of racing that although varied from each other provide virtually the same race again and again. Think of it as a case of "you've done this track, now do it again but in reverse, then again with a left turn here instead of a right etc etc"

2) The upgrades take too long to unlock, you have to get halfway through just to change your headlights, I mean, come on!!! How about a little realism by allowing more upgrades from the start which are only attainable when you have enough money in the bank??

3) The car ergonomics and geometry have been worked out by monkeys. For example a crash at 40mph often sees both cars hurled into the air in a virtual never ending spiral of somersaults while the other competitors disappear over the horizon! You'll laugh the first time it happens, but after that you'll find yourself reaching for the off switch!

4) The other racers you're competing against seem to have pre-cognitive abilities when it comes to avoiding other cars, and seem to rarely crash meaning one or two slip ups on your part and it's all over bar the recovery truck...

Fork out a little more and get NFSU: Carbon, you'll be glad you did!

HP DVD 840I  Writer
HP DVD 840I Writer

1.0 out of 5 stars Only get's 1 star because 0 isn't an option!, 19 Nov. 2006
This review is from: HP DVD 840I Writer (Electronics)
I bought this writer thinking that for the price I couldn't go wrong. Dual layer, lightscribe, fantastic! Wrong!!

The first 840i I bought failed within 5 months, it started taking nearly 35 minutes to burn a single layer dvd at 16x (should take 5 minutes) and the lightscribe function started producing weaker and weaker labelling to the point where I was having to label the same disc 4 or 5 times (at 20+ minutes a go) just to get a faint image on it. It also struggled to recognise store bought dvd's and often locked up with a disc inside needing a full restart to get it out again.

So I returned it for replacement, which from the moment I installed it suffered the same problems. Brand new, never used before but faulty from the off.

I used to trust HP as a brand, but am now avoiding their products like the plague, and I suggest you look at other options and save yourself a lot of time and frustration in the long run!

Pirates of the Caribbean
Pirates of the Caribbean
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars The best film score in YEARS! Shame it's not longer...., 18 Nov. 2003
I agree with many of the points already made about this soundtrack, it's a fantastic score for a brilliant movie (Johnny Depp is the king of eccentric character roles, Jack Sparrow is wickedly funny and completely believable, look out for Orlando Bloom's impression of Jack midway through the movie, spot on!), but it's just too darn short!
Don't get me wrong, this is a must buy, although you will be disappointed the creators of the CD didn't think the paying public deserved more for us to listen to. I have been whistling the main them for weeks (best heard in the short "He's a Pirate"), day in day out, to the point where my fiancee threatened me with pain, it is inspiring and rousing in a way most other CD's (film score OR otherwise) fail to achieve and you certainly won't be disappointed with the quality of the music!
Let's just hope the creators bring out a Special Extended Edition CD. Music this good has a right to be fully appreciated!