Profile for Mr. Steven A. Leigh > Reviews

Content by Mr. Steven A. ...

Mr. Steven A. Leigh "dissident" (Wiltshire, England)

Curtains [Includes Bonus Disc]
Curtains [Includes Bonus Disc]

1.0 out of 5 stars ... ignore the fact that the main vocal persistently sounds like Vic Reeves, 30 Oct. 2014
If you can ignore the fact that the main vocal persistently sounds like Vic Reeves, you may like this album.

Sadly I can't get past Staples 'pub singer' style and whilst I don't mind melancholy songs/albums, this really pushes things past my limit.

If you're not in a dark place when you play this album, you may well be by the time you get to the atonal catastrophe of 'Fast One'.

An album to buy for people acquaintances who you want to drop.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2016 10:07 PM BST

Thrawn
Thrawn
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars King Cresote is King of alternative folk, 3 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Thrawn (Audio CD)
This is a truly great album from a truly gifted and overlooked artist.

If you haven't been introduced to KC let me do it. The man writes great lyrics, melancholy melodies to die for and has a sweet high pitched verse which gets me every time. His albums sit nicely alongside others I won by Elvis Costello, Ron Sexsmith, Nick Drake, Clem Snide, Sparklehorse, Lambchop, James Yorkston and that kinda thing.

Take a chance and buy this and/or another of his lovely lovely albums.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2012 11:27 PM GMT

Mono Cases GS1 Small Guitar Strap - Clay
Mono Cases GS1 Small Guitar Strap - Clay
Offered by Zoundhouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it a strap, is it a belt, no it's a very short thing...., 3 Sept. 2012
I stumbled across this item when I was surfing on a well known auction site, saw some of the other gear that Mono makes and then found the Mono guitar strap on Amazon.

The strap looked to be really good quality, a little bit different from other makes and I wanted something both unique and tasty to go on a new hand made guitar that I'd bought.

I was disappointed in every way. Firstly, whilst the strap looks good quality in photos, it doesn't look as good in real life. Secondly, I feel that it is way over-priced. Finally, but most importantly, it is ridiculously short! If you want to wear the strap as a moustache then this is the item for you. I put the strap on a small bodied acoustic and I could barely 'get inside' it. The guitar became part of my chin and I challenge anyone of any size with any type of guitar to make use of this.

Mono have not done their research here and even 80s players from Level 42 and Haircut 100 would struggle with it.

I have returned mine and was pleased with the Amazon refund process.

Still.....if ever I need a bracelet this might just do the job.....

D'Addario EXP16 with NY Steel Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Coated, Light, 12-53

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable D'Addarios...., 3 Sept. 2012
I'm a semi-professional guitar player/teacher and I've been using D'Addario strings for a few years now.

I play a mixture of fingerstyle, strumming and plucking without a plectrum.

I use these strings on a Bruce Sexauer Companion size O guitar and they sound fantastic.

I also use D'Addario EXP 19s on a Mike Baranik Merdian.

I recommend that you try these strings. I won't claim they're better than every other string out there as I haven't tried them all but for me they're as good as if not better than Elixirs. Strings are a very personal thing as we all hear sounds differently but the EXPs are definitely worth a shot.

D'Addario EXP19 EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass  (.012-.056) Acoustic Guitar Strings
D'Addario EXP19 EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass (.012-.056) Acoustic Guitar Strings

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable D'addario..., 3 Sept. 2012

I play a mixture of fingerstyle, strumming and plucking without a plectrum.

I use these strings on a Mike Baranik Merdian and they sound fantastic.

I also use D'Addario EXP 16s on a Bruce Sexauer Companion size O guitar.

BagNow - 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick - Blue
BagNow - 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars When 1GB is not 1GB !!, 28 Dec. 2009
Let me start by saying that this product is stylish (funky might be the word) works well and was received in a few days. Now I'll deal with what most users of external storgae already know....why is the stated capacity NEVER the actual capacity?

I have a 500GB external hard drive from another store/maker that has an actual capacity of 460GB. This USB stick, even after formatting, has a capacity of 732MB NOT 1GB. In defence of the store I wrote and complained and I received an additional stick free of charge (many thanks for that) but shouldn't we lobby for having the true capacity of such items quoted in any product description.

So....good service but disappointed by inaccuracy.

If you're still reading this, I'm just off to buy a dozen eggs knowing that there'll be 12 in the box not just 9...get my drift?

Steve

Guitar Book
Guitar Book
by P. Bensusan
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars DADGAD HEAVEN, 16 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Guitar Book (Spiral-bound)
This is a quirky and eccentric book, immensely entertaining, informative and a thing of curious beauty.

Where else do you get a book that includes recipes, poetry, complex DADGAD pieces in guitar tab, general players advice such as finger stretching exercises and views on amplification.

I'd have awarded 5 stars had the book been accompanied by a CD of the pieces in the book..after all they are pretty advanced and a player like me needs to hear the pieces to be able to learn them effectively.

The Wonderful World of Albert Kahn: Colour Photographs from a Lost Age
The Wonderful World of Albert Kahn: Colour Photographs from a Lost Age
by David Okuefuna

4.0 out of 5 stars Albert Khan visionary genius, 20 Feb. 2009
The TV series was captivating and this book is a great companion piece!

I find the photographs ethereal, breathtaking and somehow not of this world.

What a great man Khan was and a wonderful example of how money and influence can be used positively and for the greater good. Modern day wealth power and influence is used to buy football clubs not to educate and enthrall...shame really. We need more Albert Khans.

You will not be disappointed by this fabulous book which adds to the treasures you may have discovered in the documentaries.