Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for Savitaa > Reviews

Content by Savitaa

Savitaa (UK)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18
Large Heated Waistcoat (539L) Keep warm this Winter.
Large Heated Waistcoat (539L) Keep warm this Winter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish, 15 Dec. 2011

The seller has only refunded the cost of the ityem and not the postage charge nor my return postage cost. I posted it by First Class Signed for at a cost of £3.13p that I feel should also be refunded. This is the shoddiest product I have ever purchased from Amazon and I consider it not fit for sale. I do not feel that "they do the job" as the seller states since a battery compartment that has to be closed using a screwdriver is incredibly archaic as is the whole design and set-up of this product. It looks as if it was made in the 1950's and not 2011. I am £7.13p out of pocket on this order and am angry that such a ridiculously poorly made product could be offered for sale on Amazon. I am very unlikely to buy anything like this ever again given this poor service and certainly nothing from Amazing Health who I feel should have the good grace to own up to the extremely poor product they are selling and return them to their distributor or manufacturer for refund. I do not feel in does Amazon's otherwise excellent reputation to have such poorly designed and manufactured items sold on Amazon.

After writing this I found that the item has indeed been withdrawn from sale at present so at the moment this review has little purpose other than to warn buyers buying from Amazing Health that if you buy something poorly designed and manufactured (as some prodycts like this from China are) then you could wind up out of pocket. If I get the £7.13p refunded I will update this review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2013 12:56 PM GMT

Medium Heated Waistcoat (539M) Keep warm this winter
Medium Heated Waistcoat (539M) Keep warm this winter

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish, 15 Dec. 2011
It is extremely poorly made with two flimsy battery compartments that have to be screwed shut with a philips screwdriver. One of them is connected by a lead that is taped to the wire it joins to! It looks totally naff and I want to return it for a refund. It did not even come properly packaged and had only a crumpled sheet of instructions with it. I will be sending it off shortly and expect a full refund. i notice it has been withdrawn from sale ... that says it all.

CD & DVD Cleaning Tissues, Compact Disc, Pack of 50
CD & DVD Cleaning Tissues, Compact Disc, Pack of 50
Offered by The LACH Group

5.0 out of 5 stars They play now !, 18 Nov. 2011
Our old Panasonic DVD player is a bit fussy but since we started cleaning the DVDs with these tissues they have so far all played perfectly. It has also worked on a few MP3 CDs that didn't play so well on our kitchen stereo.
You need to wipe them thoroughly with these and then dry them off with a dry cloth. People say different things about how you should do this but I find that a circular motion works okay. Hopefully they'll work for you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What about a remaster then?, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Shamal (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for years and it is my twin favourite Gong album alongside 'You'. I find it staggering that such a brilliant album has not yet been remastered with some decent bonus tracks added. This CD is decent enough but like all unremastered albums from the early seventies it has that vague muddiness about it that a good remaster gets rid of.

As far as the music itself is concerned, if you don't like psychedlia, rock or jazz then probably forget it as all these elements are there along with some rather esoteric lyrics based on spiritual analogies etc. If you like good musicianship then the arrangements are interesting and well-played. Some of the tunes are quirky and combine the wry humour of the English and French composers involved. This is a hard album to review and, as you can see in these reviews, it is one you either love or hate although the one star review here doesn't give much of a reason for the one star other than "I don't like it", which is rather unhelpful as one person has already commented.

I wouldn't buy this as a gift for someone unless I was very sure of their musical taste but if you like music that is a bit different and like to try out things that are way out there far beyond the realms of top of the pops boy girl bands then why not give it a spin?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2016 11:52 AM BST

Life On Mars : Complete BBC Series 1 [2006] [DVD]
Life On Mars : Complete BBC Series 1 [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Simm
Offered by Atronica

1.0 out of 5 stars More holes than swiss cheese, 22 Jun. 2011
Actually I'd rate it two or three stars but I'm puting one star to redress the balance a bit and hopefully help someone from making the mistake I made and being swayed by all these five star reviews. If you want a bit of light entertainment for an hour after a hard day's work then it does that. It is entertaining and the acting is excellent. The music in the first 4 episodes and sixth episode will take you back to 1973 if you are in your fifties but sadly this fizzles out somewhat in episodes 5-7 for some reason. I was very pleased to see 'Head in the Sky' by Atomic Rooster used in one episode and three songs by them used in episode 6 (although it was rather funny that the subtitles say "Save her" when it is "Save me" on Friday 13th). In addition to John DuCann's great composition Head in the Sky there's also his hit composition Devil's Answer so he must be pleased. There was also Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, Sweet and many others from 1973. Sadly episode six is still just as flawed as the rest despite the music from my favourite 70s band.

The problem for my partner and I was the number of ridiculous plot holes that start with the ludicurous over-riding premise and then pop up all the way throught the series. The recreation of 1973 is excellent, the dialogue and acting too but the plots are badly constructed and flawed.

One reviewer who gives 2 stars complains about the writing but then says that one particular writer (Ashley Pharoah) is excellent when this writer is responsible for some of the worst bungles in the series!

It is ambiguous but the basic premise is that he is in a coma and dreaming it all. You learn this early on so it is no spoiler to say this here and I'll do my best to avoid spoilers in case you want to watch it.

In 1973 Sam was a very young child. By his own admission he detests being stuck in 1973 so he never studied it. Where does all the data come from to construct these very realistic adult world dreams? On the other hand, if the writing in a later series takes off into fantasy and sci-fi so he really has time-travelled then the paradoxes are going to take some resolving. I guess it'll be alternate reality time ...

But when a highly trained police officer can't see someone is lying when it is obvious to the viewer and gets trapped so easily with many ways out you do despair. When these same officers allow a villian they have separated from his gun to recover it by running off in the opposite direction allowing him to do so you despair even more. Then there's the daft plot with the football hooligans - that must upset plenty of devoted football fans - which is so far fetched you'd need a space probe to retrieve it. If it was purely a comedy maybe it would work but actually this is a series that has no idea what it is. Certainly there is more comedy in the earlier episodes and more drama later on as the music of 1973 also does a fade out but it never really settles to be comedy, satire or serious drama and falls down somewhere inbetween. There are some long-winded heart-on-sleeve monologues singly or in turn in a small group that would bore even those Americans who love this stuff.

If you have read this and you tend to think about what you are watching and whether the plot makes sense then either give it a miss or only buy series 1 and see what you think. I'm sure that the big fans of this series will hate me for these criticisms but all I'm saying is it wasn't my thing and if I've helped someone else not to waste their time on it then it was worth writing the review even if in the end only 1 out of 85 people found this review useful.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2016 12:49 PM GMT

Yentl [DVD] [1983]
Yentl [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Barbra Streisand
Offered by 101Trading

2.0 out of 5 stars For original fans from 1983 only perhaps ..., 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Yentl [DVD] [1983] (DVD)
We got this film because my partner remembered there being dialogues about faith and religeous texts that she thought we might find interesting. Unfortunately, she had not remembered well and was as disappointed as I was. The philosophical content is minimal.

The plot is somewhat unrealistic and the idea that anyone could think she was a guy is pretty preposterous. Streisand bursts into song at roughly 10 minute intervals all the way through the film so if you don't like musicals then forget it. The only thing good about the singing is that she is a brilliant singer but sadly the songs are not up to the standard of her voice. They are kind of stream-of-consciousness crooner ballads with very few hook lines or memorable melodies. Unless you were enthralled with this way back in 1983 you might find it rather twee, unrealistic and something of a Barbra Streisand ego trip (she directed it, co-scripted it and acted the lead). You could also, given this, be forgiven as seeing the film as a number of music videos strung together by a plot designed only for that purpose.

I'm sure there a lot of people that love this film but we were glad when it was over, just finding it somewhat amusing at the end rather than dramatic or poignant as the intention of the creators may have thought they had designed it to be.

Glorious 39 [DVD] [2010]
Glorious 39 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Romola Garai

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather dull unbelievable conspiracy theory, 21 May 2011
This review is from: Glorious 39 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I wish I'd paid more notice to the negative reviews than the "Brilliant", "Superb" and "Sumptuous". Two stars because it has a brilliant gloriously-wasted-on-this-film caste, glorious settings and my other half liked the glorious dresses. Beyond that there isn't much to make your two hours worthwhile. The conspiracy theory is feeble and probably feels downright insulting to anyone who lived through this era. The historical accuracy is very debatable but what makes it so very poor is how superficial it all is.

Don't expect anything profound in the plot and the emotional content that is supposed to keep you thrilled misses the mark too. I have no idea why reviewers have said that the plot is convuluted or difficult to follow as it seemed simple to the point of being almost puerile in places. The ending is so cliched it is unbelievable anyone had the gall to trot it out once again. We were very disappointed as there are so many actors we like in this film and it is a shame to see their talents wasted on such poor material.

Plot hole spoiler below(you have been warned - stop reading now if you've not seen the film and don't want to know!)

You do not kill someone and leave them in an unlocked shed for anyone to walk into unless you are dafter than this film is. On top of that you don't leave the corpse upside-down in a bodybag with their head conveniently showing no matter how much of a rush you are in.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I've heard for ages!, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Stadtaffe (Audio CD)
Yes, it is all in German and if you are one of those who turn their nose up at anything not in English you might as well stop reading now but you'll be missing out on an amazing album. A crazy mix of rap, jazz, classical, funk and soul for want of a better description of this unique sound. You can find translations of the lyrics on the web if you're German isn't that good and unless you are very fluent you'll need it for all the slang terms. Actually there is a bit of English on the album because of the Neudeutsch that is trendy nowadays (using English words in German phrases or even whole English phrases). Apart from enjoying an amazing album I'm using it to improve my German and it is a very enjoyable way to do that. I do the same thing with another band called Unheilig. I don't find them quite as original as Peter Fox but they are pretty good too.

The great thing about Peter Fox is the wry, tongue in cheek humour that seems to look on without taking anything too seriously but also has an undercurrent of satire and social comment. There isn't a dull track on the album and they are all really different. Some are lively and upbeat whilst others are slower. Some have bizarre orchestration and others not. One song particularly is so surreal it is literally mindblowing (that was a kind of bad joke!). It will be very sad if once again a highly creative composer and performer fails to become famous outside of his native land just because he isn't singing in English.

If you're not sure about this album then check out his videos on youtube as they are quite amazing too.

Memorex M00286 CD-R 52x 100 Pack Cakebox
Memorex M00286 CD-R 52x 100 Pack Cakebox

1.0 out of 5 stars The absolute pits!!!, 19 April 2011
I've used many, many CDs and usually with no problem but these are completely useless. The first audio CD I copied for the car had a strange rumbling in the background on the bass (played indoors, not in the car!)and then when I burnt a stack of MP3 CDs they wouldn't play at all, just blipped and jumped. I bought some new CDs of another brand and they played MP3 perfectly. I recommend that you do not buy these useless cheap CDs. If only I could rate them zero since they are getting chucked out. I really wish I could return them for a refund but I doubt that is possible when I've started using them. I might ask though.

Weather Station Diva Weatherboy Blackline
Weather Station Diva Weatherboy Blackline
Offered by Wetterladen - Freizeit- und Sportartikel

4.0 out of 5 stars Once we worked out why the sensor was failing it was great., 16 Feb. 2011
I bought this as a gift for my other half but it started malfunctioning by losing contact with the external sensor (which also seems to provide the link with the clock). I found that the battery was loose in the sensor. Here's the fix. Prod out the battery connectors in the sensor if needs be due to them getting loose if the unit has been used vertically to get a better connection to the batteries. Lay the external sensor flat rather than having it vertical in the supplied bracket. When vertical, the weight of the battery on the contact causes it to lose contact at the top and the sensor behaves erratically and eventually stops. When it is laying flat this won't happen. Poor design but this fix worked for us. The "Weather Boy" is a bit of a joke but overall it is a useful gadget.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18