Profile for Laurie B. Stokes > Reviews

Content by Laurie B. Stokes

Laurie B. Stokes (London, England)

Live at the Main Point, 1975
Live at the Main Point, 1975

5.0 out of 5 stars STOP READING THIS AND BUY IT, 17 May 2011
I think all the positives of this remarkable gem have already been discussed in previous reviews already so I will not go over the same ground. However, I'm sure I am not the only one wondering what else exists that we are not being given access to, and by that I mean Bruces's own record label. There must be loads of unreleased live material (as well as studio) that would be snapped up by the fans. Surely a second live box set would be possible
if not full shows, I,m sure we would all prefer this to "Working on a Dream"!....any way... stop reading and go order your copy now.

Working On a Dream (Special Edition)
Working On a Dream (Special Edition)
Offered by westworld-

2.0 out of 5 stars FOR BRUCE FANS ONLY, 2 Sept. 2009
All I can say about this album really is that I hope Bruce never does another like it again...ever.
This album is like an old-style collection of single B-sides that we would occasionally see cobbled together in years past.
Yes, it has a few decent tracks...2 actually, that will be on my ipod playlist but that's about it.

Looking at some of the other reviews here I cannot figure out what type of listener would give this 5 stars, surely not a true Springsteen fan as you would be putting this in the same league as Born To Run, Darkness etc which it is not!

Hopefully Bruce will return to his roots and concentrate on quality rather than quantity in future.

Best Of British: The Red Arrows [DVD]
Best Of British: The Red Arrows [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars GIVE THIS ONE A MISS, 2 Sept. 2009
This has to be the worst Documentary style production I have ever viewed - as it is a 2009 release I was expecting the production of this title to be up to date and accurate...it is neither.
What the production company here has done is cobble together a selection of semi-professional and amateurish video many of it shot in the late 80's and early 90's to try to represent the Red Arrows of today.
The editing is appaling...there is no flow or progression to the programme, it just skips about all over the place.
The background music is like something you would expect to hear from a production from 2 decades ago
and the narrative is mostly boring, uninformative or inaccurate.
This DVD does not do the Red Arrows the justice they rightly deserve.
I will be contacting Amazon and asking if a refund would be possible....it really is that bad!

Closing Night
Closing Night
Offered by EliteDigital UK

1.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER FTD DISAPPOINTMENT, 27 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Closing Night (Audio CD)
Firstly, we once again have a soundboard recording-poor quality, flat & lifeless, pretty much the norm from FTD these days.
Now the controversial bit.
This concert is absoloutly terrible-Elvis sounds tired & as though he really can't be bothered. The changing of words & messing with lyrics is OK for the first few songs but the novelty wears off after a while & gets quite annoying as it isn't even funny most of the time.
I can't help but feel for anyone for who this may have been their once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see Elvis live & witnessed a show where Elvis messes with virtually every song-even American Trilogy. I wished I had never bought this CD as for me it shows a side of Elvis that I did not think existed.
As for FTD, this really does go to show that they have scraped the bottom of the barrel now & I really can't see there being much hope of the release of any decent material from now on, especially when it should be considered we are paying a premium price for this rubbish.

Impossible Dream
Impossible Dream

1.0 out of 5 stars IMPOSSIBLE TO LISTEN TO TWICE, 1 May 2004
This review is from: Impossible Dream (Audio CD)
Although this album consists of a selection of song titles that have been available on other releases several times over for many years it is always hopeful that we will be given something new in the way the songs are delivered, arranged or something
entertaining or of interest on the recording.
Not so here!
This release fails to deliver anything we have not heard before,
although from a 1971 show, Elvis hurrys nearly every song missing words or complete lines & cutting them short, he comes across has being totally uninterested in doing this show, not what you would expect from Elvis so early into his return to live performances.
To make things worse the sound quality is terrible...at times it makes you skip to the next track hoping things will be better
but never are.
The one thing I cannot understand is why FTD would release such a poor CD...I believe Elvis fans deserve to be treated in a much better way than to be sold what is a very poor package.
If this is the best they can offer perhaps they are running out of decent material to release...either way FTD, nothing like this again please, if you don't have anything decent to offer us please don't rip us off.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2010 3:54 PM GMT

Too Much Monkey Business
Too Much Monkey Business

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Monkey Business, 21 Feb. 2004
The title would be an accurate way to describe the way some of Elvis' best recordings have been remixed in such a way that left this Elvis fan wishing that he had never heard them!
For anyone to say that any of these remixes are better than the originals would suggest that they have not played the original recordings for some time, some of these coming from the Memphis recording sessions of 1969. Regarded by many to be Elvis' finest studio sessions, giving us probably his two best Albums, From Elvis in Memphis & Back in Memphis. I would say that the main problem with these remixes is the terrible use of a "twangy"
sounding country style Guitar, & even worse ...Electric, synthesised drums used at almost every opportunity giving some of the tracks the feel that they could have been mixed by any of the '80s "Electric" groups using these type of instruments.
In short, stay away from this album & remember the way these great recordings were intended to be heard, by the original producer....& Elvis.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 1:41 PM BST