Profile for JJ > Reviews

Content by JJ

JJ

Blood Fire Love
Blood Fire Love

5.0 out of 5 stars All the original album tracks are here starting with the glorious sounding Resurrection Mutha and tearing through to the final c, 12 April 2016
This review is from: Blood Fire Love (Audio CD)
Couldn't contain my excitement on finding this again! I had the album on vinyl and played it to death (the record deck died) and have been searching for it for ages.
All the original album tracks are here starting with the glorious sounding Resurrection Mutha and tearing through to the final cut of New Love Sensation. First albums simply do not come any better than this!!! Nostalgia rules the listening to this album, taking me back to the first time I ever heard it in school.
The second disk is the live version of the album Blood, Fire & Live. To hear just how punishing this band were live this has to be a must hear. For me, its up there with KISS Alive for being one of the best live albums ever recorded. The band weave their way through the album blending tracks seamlessly and finishing with a cover of Bachmann Turner Overdrive's "You Aint Seen Nuthin' Yet". All in all, a very satisfying.
Disk 3 contains some rare tracks, alternate versions and acoustic versions of some of the album tracks.
Overall, if you liked the album originally, you'll probably going to want to get this!

VonHaus Black Universal Tablet Mount Clamp for Music / Microphone Stand Suitable for 8.9" - 10.4" tablets + Ipad 1/2/3/4/Air Free 2 Year Warranty
Offered by DOMU UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Even holds the pad in the case which saves me time was I don't have to waste time taking the pad out and putting it back ..., 12 April 2016
Does exactly what it needs to! Even holds the pad in the case which saves me time was I don't have to waste time taking the pad out and putting it back in again.

Hydra
Hydra

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting? Oh YES!!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Hydra (Audio CD)
Prior to this I'd only heard The Unforgiving album and quite enjoyed it. This album for me was an improvement and I found that the collaborations were not just well done but really, really wells done.

Professional Quality Headphone Adaptor ~ 3.5mm Jack Socket to 6.35mm Plug with 24K Gold Plated Contacts by electrosmart®
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best!, 22 May 2014
I use these adaptors for my V-drums jack inputs and headphones and have found them the most consistent and reliable jacks I've ever used.

Heroes
Heroes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just WOW!!!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Heroes (MP3 Download)
After seeing Sabaton live at Bloodstock last year and being completely blown away by their both their stage presence and the songs I thought I'd get this album to see if it was as good as Carrolus Rex. It isn't. IT"S MUCH BETTER!!!

There were a few niggles with it, when it arrived (later than it should've & without the bonus tracks) the CD case was impossible to open! The only way I could open it was to break the case! (Thanks Nuclear Blast)

However, once I got the album in the player, I listened to it again and again. The songs are well crafted, lyrically memorable as well as containing more than a few crowd pleasing chants and choruses.

The band themselves have stated that they sound like many bands, but no one sounds like them and this is so true. There are elements of many bands sound within the Sabaton sound but the way these elements are combined are unique.

If you only buy one Sabaton album, make it this one. You will NOT be disappointed!!

Mystery of Time (Limited Edition)
Mystery of Time (Limited Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow....Just WOW!, 13 Sept. 2013
I was fortunate enough to see Avantasia at Bloodstock 2013 and was blown away by both the music and the line up of guest vocalists!

I had checked them out very briefly on YouTube before going but nothing prepared me for the sheer power and ability of the performers and their performance for me was one of the best I witnessed at the Festival. When we got back, I brought this album and have been playing it pretty much non stop.

The songs are immaculately put together, and the narrative as a whole is moved along exquisitely well as the story unfolds. It's so difficult for me to choose a favourite track as they seamlessly blend together. The addition of guest singers is normally done as a way of selling more copies but here with Avantasia, it lifts the project to incredible heights. Michael Kiske's voice sounds as good as I remember it from Keeper of the Seven Keys pt 2, Joe Lynn Turner I hadn't heard since his Malmsteen days, whilst Pretty Maids frontman Ronnie Atkins was someone who I'd not heard before but will certainly be looking out for in the future. Bob Catley and Biff Byford need no introduction and are both in excellent form throughout the entire album. All of these vocalists work perfectly for their allotted roles within the project, never overstating their parts whilst providing excellent support for Tobias Sammet who helms the project with a perfect touch.

If you only buy one album this year, make it this one!

Giving The Game Away
Giving The Game Away
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Fabulous Album!, 10 April 2006
This review is from: Giving The Game Away (Audio CD)
Ok, I'll admit it, I LOVED this album as soon as I heard it. Thunder have been one of the most under-rated Rock acts that this country has ever produced. Having seen them live countless times, I was blown away by this album.
There is everything on this album that people love about Thunder: Great Lyrics, Great Music, and the token Cover Version. And even a cheeky message from the band at the end of the cd. Love it!
But to the tracks themselves. Starting with the superbly crafted Just Another Suicide's scathing look at the celebrity obsessed culture through to the heartfelt ballad of It Could Be Tonight the album produces the goods on each and every track. Standout tracks though are Numb and 'Til It Shines which is possibly the best song ever written if only for the line "...You Want To Take A Hammer To Your Next Door Neighbours Car...". Priceless!
If you want an album to introduce you to a fantastic group, buy this one.....and then buy all the others!

Operation: Mindcrime II
Operation: Mindcrime II
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Wait, 10 April 2006
This review is from: Operation: Mindcrime II (Audio CD)
While most people expected a poor re-hash of the first album because of the absence of Chris DeGarmo, Queensryche have managed to provide a truly listenable and great album that has so far spawned two singles stateside (I'm American and The Hands).
There are some rather cool thematic links musically between the two albums (listen out for the keyborad chord progression played by the guitar in the opening bars of The Hands from Anarchy-X)and have also managed to update their sound without losing any of the punch of the lyrics which is no mean feat in itself. Geoff Tate's observations on both the political and social landscape of America is as biting and accurate as ever, but this time tempered with more sympathetic musical backing. My one critisism of the album is that some of the songs are just too short! I found myself willing the riff on Fear City Slide to just go on and on rather than fade into the story.
Do expect to listen to a fantastic album that works as both a sequel and an standalone album.

Holding The Zero
Holding The Zero
by Gerald Seymour

5.0 out of 5 stars Zero Option, 25 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Holding The Zero (Paperback)
A marvelous story, intricatly detailed bearing all of Seymour's thrilling hallmarks. This is such a good read you will NOT put it down until the bitter end. Unlike some of his books, the end of the story was both a delight and surprise. If you enjoyed other books such as At Close Quarters, then do not miss this little gem.