Profile for martinpick > Reviews

Portable and Digital Hand - 61 Keys Soft Roll up Electronic Piano Keyboard
Portable and Digital Hand - 61 Keys Soft Roll up Electronic Piano Keyboard
Offered by Ven Huang

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting product, but not what I wanted, 1 Sept. 2013
I'm an amateur pianist and ordered this to have something to practice on when I'm away from home.
From this point of view, I didn't find it suitable.
The first problem is that it's not properly polyphonic. It's fine if you press two notes simultaneously. If you press three though, it adds in a fourth. For example you might press E, G and C and it will add in an E flat. It does this every time, it's not an intermittent problem. It doesn't do it for every combination of notes, but enough to be a problem.
The second problem is that the notes have a border round them that you can feel. This is good, but you then have to press the note in the middle - the edges don't work. If you press a black key by its corner or edge, there is no sound. The same is true of white keys, but it's more of a problem with black keys. It's as though the black key is surrounded by a fixed border, and you need to press inside this border to get a sound.
For these reasons I decided to return it (which went smoothly).
It's a real shame - it's such a good idea, and so close to being excellent.
Others may not be concerned by these things - you may find it suitable for other purposes (inputting a melody into a computer, for example). I don't want to diss the product unduly, I just expected too much.

Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and works fine, 21 Jun. 2011
Works fine, nothing much to say apart from the USB connector, which is not the modern connector found on the Kindle or Nokia N900, but an older design which my camera uses. It would be nice if things all used the same connector.
It is good, works well, silently and is good value.

Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Player - All Black
Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Player - All Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music player, 8 Mar. 2009
This is my third squeezebox, but my first boom. It is great, very neat and gives an excellent sound. Note that it doesn't work with of slimserver, it requires squeezecenter 7.2 or higher. This is a problem for me because I'm using a ported version of slimserver on my WD MyBook NAS box.
I would also welcome a larger display.
I still love it though.

Traffic: Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us)
Traffic: Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us)
by Tom Vanderbilt

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 4 Feb. 2009
Who would have thought that the bane of our lives could be so interesting? But traffic is mass human behaviour, and watching it (from the outside!) gives real insight.
"Traffic" is well written and has changed the way I drive, hopefully for the better.