Profile for Karen Thurman > Reviews

Content by Karen Thurman

Karen Thurman "amazon geek" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Canwelum Smart Step-on Digital Bathroom Scale, Precision Digital Body Weight Scale with Blue Backlight LCD Display - CE, RoHS Certified
Offered by Canwelum Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bathroom scale, 13 Aug. 2017
This bathroom scale does exactly what it should. It weighs reliably as long as you follow the instructions and keep it on a level surface (common sense, really). Its slim, the display is very readable and the instructions are perfectly understandable. Shipping was fast and the item was well packaged.

Bosch TAT3A011GB Village Collection Toaster, Two Slice - White
Bosch TAT3A011GB Village Collection Toaster, Two Slice - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 3 Aug. 2017
A great toaster but a little on the small size. Doesn't fit a slice of Warbutons bread.

Stanley 0.47Litre Classic One Handed Vacuum Mug, Navy Blue
Stanley 0.47Litre Classic One Handed Vacuum Mug, Navy Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, good size and just works, 3 Aug. 2017
Fab, fab, fab. We travel a lot and there's nothing better than a hot cup of tea after a long drive or a good hike. This flask keeps water hot enough for tea for at least 8 hours, and cold drinks cold for even longer. Robust and the right size for the cup holder in the car.

Phytopet Travel, 30 ml
Phytopet Travel, 30 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Phytopet Travel, 30 ml (Misc.)
I use this daily with our dog who gets really carsick - and it really helps.

Fitbit Charge 2 Screen Protector, [6-Pack] Degbit® [NO-Peeling off] [Full Coverage] HD Clarity/Anti-Scratch/Anti-bubbles Installation Film Cover, Screen Protector for Fitbit Charge 2 -Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Degbit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 3 Aug. 2017
Comes with everything you need for a clean, bubble-free application, easy to put on and fits perfectly. Comes with 6 in a pack so good value for money. Can you ask for more?

Honest Earth All Natural Creamy Mash 8 Sachets 1 x 1088gm
Honest Earth All Natural Creamy Mash 8 Sachets 1 x 1088gm
Offered by Webbasket

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, smooth mash, 16 Nov. 2015
I''m not normally one for instant foods but this mash is a lifesaver when I need to pull a meal together quickly. Lovely, smooth and well seasoned, it takes me 2 minutes to make. Add water, butter, milk and one sachet, stir, and hey, presto! it's done.

Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus - Multi-Colour, 9 Piece
Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus - Multi-Colour, 9 Piece

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 15 July 2013
Love the convenience of having everything nested, specially since we use this for camping and it doesn't take up much space. Each of the items is a sensible size, is easy to clean and I love the colours. The only reason it got 4 stars was the outer 3-4 items don't lock into each other very well (unlike the inner ones which clip in well)

Bon Fire Folding Dustbin with A Pole including Transport Bag
Bon Fire Folding Dustbin with A Pole including Transport Bag
Offered by Garden Secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for camping, 15 July 2013
Folds flat; lid closes solidly and easily (important for keeping the tent bug free): is a great size (one bag lasted us for a 5-day trip); solid and stable; strong material; comes with a pole if you want to keep it outside the tent

The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression (Photographic Arts Editions)
by Bruce Barnbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars So many "aha" moments in this book, 15 July 2013
I bought this book on a recommendation from Ken Rockwell, and I will be forever grateful that I did. This book is comprehensive, highly readable, and inclusive with something for everyone:
- from those of us still shooting B&W film to those who are fully digital
- from beginners to experienced photographers
- from those interested in landscapes to architectural, portrait etc.

The book covers the full photography "lifecycle" from visualising/shooting the photo to developing the negative/digital image to printing. It covers:
- visualising the end product
- composition
- lighting
- colour
- use of filters
- Ansel Adams' Zone system for film and digital (in language that I could understand, for a change)
- negative development
- printing your works of art
- preserving them for posterity
- understanding/developing your own style

So far, this sounds a bit like dozens of other photography books out there. What makes this one different is:
- the vast coverage of topics and details
- his sharing of a large number of techniques which, if followed, will make you a better photographer/artist
- the excellent use of photos to demonstrate the principles Bruce writes about
- the ability to illustrate the integration of the photography process from the moment something catches your eye up to the moment you have the finished print
- its great readability. He is able to take otherwise complex ideas and turn them into perfectly understandable ones

This book does not talk about gear, so if you're looking for information on cameras, lenses and other tools you won't find it here.

I learned a lot from this book, even though I considered myself a reasonably experienced photographer. I've had so many "ooohhh, now I see" moments. I am happy to say that this is the best photography book I have ever owned. I am about to embark on my second reading, having just finished my first reading of it.

Badger Balm Organic Sore Muscle Rub Original Balm 56g
Badger Balm Organic Sore Muscle Rub Original Balm 56g

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic in a tin, 27 July 2012
I get really tight muscles in my shoulders and back. They end up very sore and give me a headache. I rub this magical treat into the muscles and the combination of the balm and the massage really does relieve the pain. It even works when my fingers get stiff from a day on the computer. I always have a tin with me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2016 8:08 PM BST