Profile for 10101012 > Reviews

Content by 10101012

10101012 (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The History of Rasselas: History of Rasselas: Prince of Abyssinia (Wordsworth Classics)
by Samuel Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom., 10 Jun. 2007
This is easily one of the most relevant 18th century stories I have ever read. Johnson has mastered the English language and his style is direct and thoughtful. The lesson this book teaches makes it invaluable to anyone - it is one of those books you have to read, whether you end up liking it or not.

The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

4.0 out of 5 stars Great effort., 2 Mar. 2007
This film wasn't perfect but I thought it had enough style to appeal to a wide audience. I found it sharp, fresh and funny (not to mention quite embarrassing at times, but in a good way). Streep's performance alone makes this worth watching, unless of course you're of a testosterone-addled disposition.

I Choose Noise
I Choose Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolly good., 9 Feb. 2007
This review is from: I Choose Noise (Audio CD)
Having read a few of the reviews before I decided to buy this was difficult, as people's opinions clashed like battleaxes. I don't buy a lot of CDs, and write even less reviews over this internet thing, but... goodness. Wow.

I'm aghast to hear that people considered an album which has "Falling Down" (my favourite track) to be a disappointment but to each their own, I suppose. In fact, after hearing "Last Man Standing" (another favourite) I found it really difficult to not buy this CD. Impossible, rather.

If the opinion of someone who isn't bound to genre/style of music is worth something to you then buy this CD. If you like electronic music there really isn't much else I can recommend as highly.

Unearthed [Us Import]
Unearthed [Us Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational..., 28 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Unearthed [Us Import] (Audio CD)
E.S. Posthumus have created a cinematic masterpiece and their music is actually very well known. You might have heard their most popular tracks - Nara or Pompeii - on a number of American TV shows/movies (e.g. Spider-man).

I bought this by accident and still cannot believe how wonderful it is to listen to. Each track will take you on your own personal journey and will leave you feeling satisfied - until you listen to the last track. Then, you'll have a sudden impulse to listen to it again, and again.

Some songs are upbeat, some are relaxed but whatever is playing will hypnotise and make you feel empowered. I cannot actually describe the music on this CD well enough - it's something you'll have to listen to for yourself. All I can say is that you might not believe what you're hearing - it really is music that touches the soul.

The Power of One
The Power of One
by Bryce Courtenay

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate distraction., 26 Sept. 2006
This review is from: The Power of One (Paperback)
I also read this book when I was around the age of 11. It was the first time I felt any sort of emotional connection with the characters in a book and suffice to say, it brought a tear or two to my eye.

Though I have other favourites, no other book has moved me like this one.

Screamer 2 - Jewel
Screamer 2 - Jewel
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Old classic., 26 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Screamer 2 - Jewel (Video Game)
I've already rated this game (the boxed version) but I'll just explain that this is a DOS game, released in 1995. If you are looking for modern graphics, you will not find them here.

If you decide to play it now, the gameplay, in my opinion, will not dissapoint.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves For Children: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference
Eats, Shoots & Leaves For Children: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference
by Lynne Truss

5.0 out of 5 stars Junior necessity? I'll say..., 25 Sept. 2006
Having owned and read the adult version of this book, I must say, its younger brother is probably essential for children!

Although I do not currently own it, I've managed to obtain a preview. Thus, I can NOW state that I SHALL be buying it for my younger familiars.

*Dark laugh*

In all seriousness, it's a must for kids and can even prove helpful for adults (such as myself) who are tearfully struggling to dominate the pedantic world of punctuation.

I hope Lynne didn't hear me say that and if she did, 'twas but a joke!

V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006]
V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Natalie Portman

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 25 Sept. 2006
This review is from: V for Vendetta [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I was going to give this film a 1. Maybe even a 2.

Then I realised I might be imprisoned, so enough of the lies - it's a straight 5!

Wow, that rhymes.

This film was an unexpected treasure to find as I knew nothing about it. I made a random decision to watch it, and mainly because of boredom *gasp*. It started off very mysteriously and before I knew it, I found myself unable to blink.

The language, the notions and the action meshed together like a Beethoven piece. The on-screen harmony was a privilege to see and its ability to move me in a way few films have in the last 5 or so years was nothing short of brilliant.

I think it'd be unfair for me to divulge any more details; so all I'll say is whether you have background knowledge of the film or not, I'd be hard pressed to find anybody of sound mind to find it anything less than astonishing.

Screamer 2 - Box
Screamer 2 - Box
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars For the select few., 25 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Screamer 2 - Box (Video Game)
I played the demo and fell in love with this game. I think that's the best anyone can do - download the demo first. You will either love or hate this from the people I've spoken to and the reviews I've read.

This is my favourite racing game, ever. It's quite unfortunate that after more than a decade after its release, nothing comes close.

The music is largely Techno based - but all work when you actually race. After 8 years, one of the songs is still a firm favourite (for the England track) and I am even listening to it now as I write this.

As for a challenge, this is what this game is all about - skill. You cannot use only speed to win as you can with other titles. It will take some time to beat your opponents but it has never, in my opinion, been more enjoyable. There are obvious treats as you finally beat the professional drivers. ;P

Oh dear. If I sound like a show off right now, read the stuff in brackets (it took me AGES to beat this game but oh boy, WAS IT WORTH IT. There, no longer do I look like a pompous cad.).

Playing is believing, so that's as much as I can say.

- Don't expect 'recent' graphics (such as Need For Speed Carbon) because THIS IS A VERY OLD CLASSIC. -

__________________

If you are serious about getting this game to work, read below...

It runs in DOS. For the modern computer with Windows XP, installation instructions are below:

1. Install the game under Windows XP Home/Professional.

2. When it's finished installing, it will run SETUP and crash (this is OK).

3. Make/use a Windows 95 or 98 floppy boot disk.

4. Reboot into DOS, run SETUP from the installation folder (e.g. C:\S2\SETUP.EXE) and SAVE.

5. Restart computer and remove floppy to start Windows XP again.

If it asks for the game CD, even though the CD is in the drive, do the following:

6. Use Google to find SAPUCDEX. Download this program and open it.

7. EXTRACT SAPUCDEX.EXE into the game folder (e.g. C:\S2).

8. In the game folder, use your right mouse button to click on S2 (or S2.bat) and EDIT. Notepad will open.

9. At the top, add this line: "SAPUCDEX.EXE" (without the quotation marks) and SAVE.

10. It should then look like this:

SAPUCDEX.EXE

S2_3DFX.EXE (This line may have another name, such as - STARTH.EXE, STARTL.EXE, START65L.EXE or START65H.EXE - any one of these is fine).

11. Close Notepad and double click on S2 (or S2.bat) to play.

________________

This works for me but the game crashes from time to time because my computer is too fast. You can still avoid this problem, but you will have to look for instructions similar to what I've written below (if you don't understand it, try using Google).

*Advanced players without Voodoo-based graphic cards can check out glide wrappers and run the game in 3DFX mode, which hardly crashes (modern PCs lack stability in a 65K DOS environment, so I had to use dgvoodoo). You will need a video card with at least 8MB video RAM, though.

Good God, I've written a blooming thesis. :-S

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Burton

4.0 out of 5 stars Yikes!, 25 Sept. 2006
I've browsed through several reviews and I agree with the "great visuals, poor storyline" argument.

I am also a fan but found myself becoming frustrated with the awkwardness of the plot and the... 'acting'. As far as eye candy goes, this WILL deliver but those (both fans and newcomers alike) looking for something deeper will most probably be disappointed.

It received much hype and the trailers brought a rush of exitement no artificial drug could induce. Only real fans experienced this though, so it was quite sad to see such what was once a powerful concept crumble so effortlessly.

I've given it 4 because I am a hardcore fan, trying to hold onto the last threads of desirability. As for the wider audience, the film only reaches average heights.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3