Profile for Laurie M > Reviews

Content by Laurie M

Laurie M

Page: 1 | 2
Echo Burning: (Jack Reacher 5)
Echo Burning: (Jack Reacher 5)
by Lee Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining story; Usual excellent writing style from Lee Child., 3 May 2016
I have thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I've only read four or five of the Jack Reacher books so far, in no particular order, and it's good that they can be read as stand-alone stories regardless of their place in the series.

However, I'm now beginning to absorb enough of the background to want to start at the beginning nd read them in order. I've followed a similar process with Stephen Leather's 'Spider Shepherd', and with Zoe Sharp's 'Charlie Fox' series, and found I get a lot more enjoyment from each book if I've slowly built up my knowledge of the main characters.

I like Lee Child's writing style; I also like the idea of each book being an independent story (doesn't matter if I break off to read something else in between his books) and I like the added depth of a series.

Looking forward to a long, very rewarding read.

The Child Taker & Slow Burn (Special Edition 'Unputdownable'): 2 Nail Biting Thrillers

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste!, 3 May 2016
Started reading 'The Child Taker', but felt so uncomfortable with it that I gave up after about an hour. Can't legitimately comment any further, having read so little, and it's probably unfair to the author, but I have to say it's not to my taste at all. Might have a look at 'Slow burn' one day, but can't promise. If I do, then I'll maybe review it, but only if I've read enough to give it a fair review.

Black + Decker KS890ECN Scorpion Saw
Black + Decker KS890ECN Scorpion Saw

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, really can't recommend it: First Amazon purchase I've really regretted., 4 April 2016
Not my best Amazon purchase by a long way.

I'm fitting a set of 6 internal doors, each requiring trimming at top and/or bottom, and I struggle a bit using a hand-saw after heart surgery. My circular saw is a bit too coarse, and my jig-saw tends to wander a bit on thick material, so this looked ideal.

Unfortunately, the scorpion wanders more than any other saw I've ever used. The blade isn't firmly held in place, and it's impossible to control with any sort of accuracy. I thought it might be useful as a garden saw, but my little 'cheapie' electric chainsaw is so much quicker to cut through branches!

Sorry, really can't recommend it. Haven't yet found any job it can competently handle

Front & Rear Rifle / Gun Bench Rest Bag Hunting Target Shooting Gun - Black (Front & Rear)
Offered by Savage Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, good price, what more could you ask?, 4 April 2016
I bought these bags for two reasons:

First of all, I had bought an air rifle a while ago, and had been making do with a wheelie bin topped with a rolled-up blanket as an improvised bench-rest.

Secondly, I recently received one of the new Sig Sauer P226 air pistols as a present, and felt it deserved better than a rubbish-bin and blanket.

As I had also received some Amazon gift cards, I decided to buy proper bench-rests, and chose these bags.

They seem well-made, and after being filled with cat-litter are a fair weight, steady enough to support the heavy Sig (front bag only) or the rifle (both bags).

They've proved ideal for zeroing the sights on both guns, and my grouping has improved beyond belief.

Only worry is keeping the cat off them!

Braun Series 3 3040 Men's Electric Foil Shaver Wet and Dry Rechargeable and Cordless Razor

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanks to "Daily Deal", a whole new shaver for the price of just new foils, 3 Nov. 2015
I bought this as a replacement for my old shaver: a nearly five-year-old early 3-series, which has given years of reliable service.

It was due for another set of foils (they last for about 18 months to 2 years before needing replacement at a cost of about £30 a set), so when the new 340S came up as deal-of-the day for £33 it seemed a sensible way to spend a birthday gift voucher.

There are a few differences between the two models:

The new foils seem a little thinner than the old ones, which probably explains the slightly smoother shave that the new one gives, and its better performance when coping with anything from a two to five day growth: the old one used to pull quite painfully after I'd missed shaving for a few days, unless I went over the worst bits with the built-in trimmer first.

The battery seems good for over a week's daily shaving between charges - a couple of days better than the old one (but bear in mind its age).

The 340S is apparently safe for use in the shower, although I've not tried that, and don't want to. However, there's a safety feature which prevents the shaver being switched on whilst charging. Annoying, because on holiday I used to plug the shaver in and let it charge while I shaved. Not really a problem, as it only needs a five-minute charge to build up enough charge for a normal shave.

No problems so far; I'm very pleased with the shaver (regardless of price).

Only reason for 4 rather than 5 stars is that, like my first 3-series, it comes without a carrying pouch. For my first one, someone suggested a pencil case. I took the shaver into House of Fraser, and found a really good "Paper Chase" brand pencil case that's a perfect fit. Looks great in a woven Cordura - style black nylon, with a full-length pocket along each side, one zipped and one velcroed. Cost me about £3 (about 5 years ago) and still looks as new, so I'm now using it for the new shaver. I haven't checked, but suspect Amazon could do a better deal on that or a similar case.

Blackspur BB-BD342 HD Ratchet Tie Down Set
Blackspur BB-BD342 HD Ratchet Tie Down Set
Offered by Bid Buy Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars High spec at low price: very pleased., 16 May 2015
Ordered these tie-down straps as a safety feature to use whilst working on my Harley.

I've a heavy-duty jack which slips under the lower frame-rails to raise one or other of the wheels clear of the ground, but the narrow width of the frame means the bike can easily be accidentally toppled sideways. The suppliers of the jack acknowledge the risk, and suggest using tie-downs.

I looked in local DIY shops and car-parts suppliers, and was not impressed with either quality or prices, so looked on Amazon and found these Blackspur straps with a specification easily exceeding my requirements, at a fraction of the prices being asked locally.

When they arrived I was very impressed: Quality seemed much better than anything available locally, regardless of price. I've only used them a couple of times yet, but they work perfectly. Obviously don't know how they would stand up to heavy use day-in day-out, but that's not how mine will be used, and in any case they appear to be made of reasonable-quality webbing: Time will tell!.

So far, very pleased with these straps.

25mm x 5 meters, BLACK DOUBLE SIDED FOAM TAPE - AUTOMOTIVE GRADE & WATERPROOF
25mm x 5 meters, BLACK DOUBLE SIDED FOAM TAPE - AUTOMOTIVE GRADE & WATERPROOF
Offered by Capital Wholesale Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job!, 24 April 2015
Seems perfect for the job (re-attaching the reflector to my motorcycle's rear mudguard after repainting).
Thickness is approx. 1 mm (measuring in situ on the roll, 17 thicknesses measure 16mm).
Too early yet to comment on durability or waterproof qualities, but no reason to doubt them. ( I'll edit this review if and when necessary.)
Can't see how they can do this at the price, especially with free delivery (and not even the usual £10 minimum order).

Edited 24th. June 2016: 14 months on, reflector is still rock-solid; no sign of problems with either durability or waterproofing. Happy to stand by my original 5-star rating.

Panasonic Remote Control For DVD DMR-EX773EBK, DMR-EX83EB-K, N2QAYB000462
Panasonic Remote Control For DVD DMR-EX773EBK, DMR-EX83EB-K, N2QAYB000462
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Apparently genuine part, works perfectly., 24 April 2015
Seems to be the real thing (i.e. genuine Panasonic part).
Works perfectly once the correct TV code is entered (see original recorder manual for codes and set-up instructions).
Delivery very quick, adequately packaged.
No manufacturer's box or instructions, but Amazon box was sufficient protection.

Q Garden QGGR Garden Roller - Green
Q Garden QGGR Garden Roller - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, all in all very pleased with it., 15 April 2015
Works as it should, and for what I want is an ideal weight when filled with water.

It would be heavier if sand-filled, but too heavy to easily lift in and out of shed. Also, if I need to move it by car, water is easier to drain and refill.

Needed it initially to roll soil prior to laying turf, and it did a reasonable job bearing in mind it was only water-filled.

Next job was to roll the turf once laid, and the weight was ideal for that.

On-going job is to stripe the lawn after mowing (we've just replaced our heavy petrol mower with a much lighter electric rotary which has no roller, therefore no stripe.

One thing which worried me when reading reviews of this and similar rollers was the number of reviews referring to bad welds causing water leaks. I'm pleased to say there's no sign of water leaks so far.

There are signs of scratched paint around the drum, but that's to be expected as our soil has more than its fair share of flints. Obviously this will result in rusting, but it shouldn't be a huge job to sand and paint the drum at the end of the season, and it seems to be made of thick enough steel to stand a bit of surface rust. In any case the flints were only a problem prior to laying the turf, so future use, rolling the grass, should cause less scratching.

All in all, very pleased, especially at this price!

Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit - Black
Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compromise between light weight and good stability., 17 April 2014
Apologies for delaying the writing of this review: I felt I needed to use the tripod for a while before commenting on it.

Before ordering it, I read all the reviews I could find, looking for a light tripod to replace my old Manfrotto, an 055C with a 115 head, which has given almost twenty years' service (and looks set to give another twenty!), generally supporting my Mamiya RZ67 or a (back-up) Bronica. Now retired, and having received a Nikon D3200 as a birthday present, I was aware that I needed a light tripod, being too lazy to carry the old heavyweight around. The MKC3-H01 seemed to satisfy most of my requirements, with a reasonable balance of lightness and rigidity. Plenty of 'Pros' in the reviews, and very few significant 'Cons', so I placed the order.

Now: I am pleasantly surprised by the new tripod's rigidity.
Not rock-solid like my old one, but its weight is a fraction of the 055C's, so an ideal compromise. As many other reviewers have suggested, use a remote release or the self timer to avoid vibrations, and avoid using the lower leg extensions and the centre column if possible. One other reviewer suggested that by removing the rubber cap from the bottom of the centre-column, you expose a hole enabling you to use an 'S'-hook to hang your camera-bag as a stabilising weight.

Only down-side I've found is that I'm still not sure about the dual-purpose head. I would have preferred one or the other: a simple pan-and-tilt, or a ball-and-socket, but it's fair to say that the more I use it, the more comfortable I am with it.

Not sure what star-rating to award. For rigidity, in relation to portability, it justifies 5 stars. However, that head just doesn't feel right to me, so I'm dropping it to 4 stars. It has to be said, though, that it's largely personal preference, and also, of course, Manfrotto offer such a range of options that I could almost certainly have found one with exactly the right head to suit me.

Really, it's a quality product at an incredible price, and no-one could reasonably expect better rigidity/stability without lugging a lot more weight around.

Page: 1 | 2