Profile for Angela Large > Reviews

Content by Angela Large

Angela Large (Hoxton, London United Kingdom)

Baby Wisdom: The World's Best-kept Secrets for the First Year of Parenting
Baby Wisdom: The World's Best-kept Secrets for the First Year of Parenting
by Deborah Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby Wisdom, 6 July 2002
Deborah Jackson has been the most influential author for me as a mother since having my son four years ago, when I saw this book in the bookshop I automatically bought and it does not disappoint. As usual, Jackson has produced a book which encourages and celebrates a mother's instinct when caring for her baby and small child. The amazing variety of baby care practices from around the world are presented clearly and serve to encourage western mothers and fathers to examine the "wisdom" of some current baby care advice. I was struck by the way in which babies are viewed by the different cultures around the world, most seeing babies as normal, necessary participants in a family's/society's life, mothers and babies are generally not separated either from each other or from the society within which they live. I think we have a lot to learn in the west, where separation from all that is familiar and reassuring is the experience of many new mothers, it is no wonder that "routine, parent-directed baby care advice" has found such a ready market here.
If you want to re-examine western attitudes to babies, mothers and their care, read this book, it will help to set you free to be the mother/father that you instinctively want to be.
I am expecting our second child in October and this book has strengthened my resolve to do it "my way". With a back up of millions of other mothers around the world!