Profile for Lee Holton > Reviews

Content by Lee Holton

Lee Holton "Paola" (Highlands, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Test of Wills: The First Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery
A Test of Wills: The First Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars I also thought the plot twist was really good and for the most part it was an enjoyable ..., 19 May 2016
The central character Ian Rutledge is very appealing - a shell-shocked war veteran. I also thought the plot twist was really good and for the most part it was an enjoyable if long-winded read. I felt that a less verbose writer could have used the same plot to make a much more taut page-turner. Although it's set in a cosy English village in the 1920s, the spelling is American and the characters much much too modern. Everyone is quite happy to unburden themselves about relationships and love affairs which I just don't believe of that era. Once I discovered that the series is written by two authors a lot of the repetition and wordiness made sense - I kept getting the feeling I had read pages before whereas in fact the authors just seem to go over the same ground again and again. Not sure if I want to read another.

Clix No Bark Collar, Large
Clix No Bark Collar, Large

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 19 May 2016
This review is from: Clix No Bark Collar, Large (Misc.)
It did not work for us.

5 year undated leathergrain A5 diary - black
5 year undated leathergrain A5 diary - black

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels like a lot of space to write even though I ..., 19 May 2016
Feels like a lot of space to write even though I don't think it actually is. A handsome book and I was very pleased with it.

Out of the Deep I Cry: Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne 3
Out of the Deep I Cry: Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne 3

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this very much and the growing intimacy between the ..., 19 May 2016
It's rewarding to read through a series of books and watch relationships and characters develop and unfold. I enjoyed this very much and the growing intimacy between the two main characters is very well written. I'm somewhat bored with the action sequences of these books however - helicopters last time, another near-death experience here. It doesn't ring true - too much of the "with one bound they were free" comic-book feel to their miraculous escapes. The plot and the denouement are, again, well done and I will probably read another in the series although generally I feel that after 4 books most series tend to start going stale or getting repetitive.

A Fountain Filled With Blood: Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne 2
A Fountain Filled With Blood: Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne 2

4.0 out of 5 stars I did find this tiresome and unbelievable but it's fun in a sort of ..., 4 May 2016
The 2nd of the Fergusson/Van Alstyne series, and it was the relationship between this unlikely pair, an Episcopalian minister and a police chief with an invisible wife, that drew me back to this author. I would categorise them as "cosy" thrillers although the author does nod to more serious issues, such as homophobia. Have to confess I skipped the longer "action" passages, such as those when our ordained minister performs a daring helicopter rescue and then saves everyone after a crash. I did find this tiresome and unbelievable but it's fun in a sort of Boys' Own way. Overall, though, I enjoyed the book, though it's not in the category of great crime writing, and will read another to find out how the relationship progresses.

Tartan Tragedy: A Jemima Shore Mystery
Tartan Tragedy: A Jemima Shore Mystery

2.0 out of 5 stars Antonia Fraser may be a fine historian but this is a rather silly detective story ..., 4 May 2016
Antonia Fraser may be a fine historian but this is a rather silly detective story that patronises the Scottish Highland setting and shows all the insight and perception of someone who occasionally drops by on holiday. I kept reading because I know the area she writes about very well indeed, but I found the characters one-dimensional and the storyline, with its melange of Jacobite resurgence and murder and love story, a bit daft. A book you will want to read when you have terrible toothache and the pain keeps you from concentrating on anything else.

In the Bleak Midwinter: Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne 1
In the Bleak Midwinter: Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Much to like about this series and it's obvious from the beginning ..., 4 May 2016
Much to like about this series and it's obvious from the beginning that the intriguing relationship between the Episcopalian minister Clare and the married police chief is going to drive the plot and keep the reader wondering. This is well written and the wintry setting in Maine is appealingly drawn. I liked i enough to go on and read further books in the series.

Cat Among the Pigeons (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 32)
Cat Among the Pigeons (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 32)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 May 2016
Excellently plotted, a masterclass in the construction of a detective story.

Murder in Mesopotamia (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 14)
Murder in Mesopotamia (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 14)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 May 2016
Vintage Christie, from her Golden Age.

Agatha Christie: An English Mystery
Agatha Christie: An English Mystery
by Laura Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Laura Thompson writes excellent biographies and I recommend her other book, 3 May 2016
Laura Thompson writes excellent biographies and I recommend her other book, on the Lucan mystery, wholeheartedly. This is very good, too, as it is a portrait of an age and a time lost to us now. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I had an image of Christie as a rather cosy old lady churning out cosy mysteries set in theme-park English villages. Thompson's book revealed a complex and interesting woman and several chapters are dedicated to the story of Christie's first marriage and her own mysterious "disappearance" in the 1920s, which brought Christie so much unfavourable publicity. Thompson is also good at setting Christie's books in their context, and in fact I stopped reading the biography about two-thirds of the way through to go back and re-read at least six of the novels themselves! Laura Thompson is a very polished and thorough writer, with a style easy to warm to, and I very much enjoyed this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3