Profile for William Stuart > Reviews

Content by William Stuart

William Stuart (UK)

Songmics Office Chair with 76 cm High Back Large Seat and Tilt Function Executive Swivel Computer Chair PU Black OBG24B
Offered by Songmics

5.0 out of 5 stars I have had this for a few months now and am very happy with it, 2 Aug. 2017
How do you review a chair? Well, I have had this for a few months now and am very happy with it. I'm a home worker so it gets 8 hours use 5 days a week at a minimum. I'm a larger chap (6'3" and about 240lbs) and find this chair extremely comfortable even after an extended period of time. Too soon yet to tell how it will stand up to long term use but it seems very solidly made and I don't have any causes for concern. I'm glad I bought it and have no hesitation recommending it.

JasGood Nylon Canvas Breathable Quick-Drying Military Tactical Style Adjustable Waist Web Men Belt With Plastic Buckle JA015_Black
Offered by JasGood

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 2 Aug. 2017
Great value for money. Very secure fully adjustable buckle and I don't need to take it off going through airport security. Impressed enough with the first one that I've bought a second one.If it helps others with sizing, I wear 36" waist trousers and I have about 7.5" of spare belt end.

Anker 2200mAh Li-ion Battery for Samsung Galaxy S3 S III, I9300, I9305 LTE, Galaxy S3 Neo, fits EB-L1G6LLU, with NFC/Google Wallet Compatibility
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars In the bin after a year of light use - but resolved by customer services., 1 Aug. 2017
Update: Within a day of posting the review below I received a very nice email from Anker asking for the serial number of the unit, apologising for my poor experience and offering to send out a free replacement. Absolutely brilliant customer service and I am upgrading my scoring to 4 stars.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I bought this on the back of having had good experiences with a number of Anker power banks so had confidence in the brand. Sadly, this battery did not hold up over time. Just over a year old and I've had to bin it because it refuses to charge over 48%. I'm a very light user and there was no physical damage that could have accounted for the battery's demise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2017 2:32 AM BST

Polco Kwiklok Tiedowns 2.5m Pair
Polco Kwiklok Tiedowns 2.5m Pair

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 8 Jun. 2016
It may only be a strap but, depending on your use, quality can be extremely important. I use tiedowns to secure sea kayaks to my roof bars and, given the risks associated with a 30kg 18 foot long object coming loose on the road, I need straps I can depend on. On inspection, I can say these are the most robust I have seen out of the dozen or so different makes I have bought over the past few years. The most common reason for me replacing straps is the buckle deteriorating, usually with the spring being the first part to go. The buckles on these straps are excellent and the spring is of a gauge and quality that I expect it to last considerably longer than I normally get. The strap material and stitching is of equally high quality. I'll be buying more.

Rii i8BT Bluetooth Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse Built-in Rechargeable Battery
Offered by Uxpressbuying

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought specifically to use with a FireTV box and KODI., 15 Mar. 2016
Whilst the FireTV remote control is fine for most tasks, typing with the on-screen keyboard can be a real PITA. For the price, this little unit easily met, or more accurately exceeded, all my expectations. It connected via bluetooth without any issue and the range is great. Ergonomically it fits in my hands very naturally and despite having fingers like bananas I can type on it quickly and accurately. It did take me a few minutes to figure out what keys to use for certain FireTV or KODI functions but that is not an issue with the device itself. Very pleased with the purchase and plan to buy another one for the bedroom as testing proved no issues with the FireTV Stick I use there either.

Thermos Ultimate Stainless Steel Flask - 800 ml, Graphite
Thermos Ultimate Stainless Steel Flask - 800 ml, Graphite

1.0 out of 5 stars Virtually unbreakable? Try again Thermos., 20 April 2011
When I first got this flask I was absolutely over the moon as it was the first 'unbreakable' flask I've ever owned that managed to keep its contents warm for more that a few hours. Indeed, I've left boiling water in it for a full day and still got a piping hot drink out of it so the 24hr claim is a fair one.

Unfortunately, the "virtually unbreakable" part is a load of nonsense, at least in my experience. I've used the flask maybe a couple of dozen times and at no point has it been subjected to anything close to rough treatment - no drops, knocks or bangs that caused me to raise a concerned eybrow. Granted, I don't wrap it up in cotton wool but given that such a flask is clearly aimed at the outdoor pursuits market, I don't expect to.

So, last outing I found that my coffee was barely luke warm when I went for my first drink a few hours after filling. On filling it again when I got home it was clear the vacuum had bean breached as the heat instantly leached through to the external wall of the flask. Close inspection shows no signs of the sort of dings or dents that might indicate any significant trauma, only a few extremely minor scratches that are barely visible to the naked eye.

Who knows why it's failed but it has. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad one but given the price, and the pedigree of the manufacturer, I expect better.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2016 3:48 PM GMT

Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
by Dan Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars Reinforce the edge of your seat before reading!, 4 April 2009
An absolutely stunning first-hand account of what must surely be one of the British Army's "finest hours". Shame on the self-serving, spineless politicians for playing down the truly outstanding resolve and professionalism demonstarted by our troops during the seige of Al Amarah.

Great book. Thrilling. Inspiring. Humbling. A must-read.

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know: The Autobiography
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know: The Autobiography
by Ranulph Fiennes

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite do a great man the justice he deserves, 9 Mar. 2009
It might seem strange that I only rate this book a 3-star and yet would heartily recommend it nonetheless. Ranulph Fiennes is well and truly a legend in his own lifetime and a personal hero of mine. That said, I found the book just didn't pull me in the way I hoped it would and I actually found it a bit of a chore to read at times.

I don't regret buying or reading this book, I just wish it had lived up to my expectations more than it ultimately did. Perhaps it's too much to expect someone to be a god amongst men and a literary genius to boot.

I should add that one of my friends who is far less familiar with Ranulph's exploits than I am found the book absolutely enthralling so please don't let my slightly downbeat review put you off.

Sod That for a Game of Soldiers
Sod That for a Game of Soldiers
by Mark Eyles-Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 9 Mar. 2009
With so many positive reviews there should be little reason for anyone to doubt this book is essential reading. Mark's story is compelling and I'm not ashamed to admit it moved me to tears on more than one occasion.

In response to some of the less positive comments, the point has to be made that the author makes it quite clear in the preface that he is telling it exactly as he lived it, because to dress his experiences in a sugary coating would be a gross disservice to those friends he left behind. The constant disparaging references to "hats" may seem offensive to some readers but don't be so quick to judge. For generations, the British army has used regimental pride as a key motivator to great effect. The author simply bought into the Paras particularly enthusiastic implementation of that system and if he still feels so passionately 25 years later then he's earned that right, in my opinion.

For me the book was riddled with insight and was very thought provoking. In some cases the author makes quite clear the point he is trying to get across but much of the time he simply presents his evidence and relies on the reader to actually think about what was going on. The opening paragraphs are a very good example of that. One reviewer has described them as "pretty dull" and yet for me they are essential to the story as they expose the factors that contributed to Mark's decision to enlist at the earliest opportunity. There was nothing all that remarkable or extraordinary about his upbringing. No abuse, deprivation or malicious neglect. Like so many kids, he quietly suffered the adverse effects of parental separation and a father incapable of forging a proper emotional bond with his son. It's little wonder that he saw in the Regiment a much needed sense of belonging and self-worth that had previously been missing from his life. I think, sadly, too many parents would have to admit there but for the grace of God go mine.

The main section of the book, centred around the fight for Mount Longdon, is a truly harrowing account of the grim realities of war. We are left in no doubt as to the effects such an experience had on the author, only seventeen years old at the time. As a father with sons around that age I can't begin to imagine them having to deal with such stress and trauma, yet who am I to hope my children might stand aside whilst others step up to the mark? It raises very serious questions about minimum combat age and I have to admit I had not given that particular issue enough consideration, until now.

Questions also have to be asked about many of the strategic and tactical decisions that were made by those in charge. The multi-day forced march in near arctic conditions, one of several, was a staggering achievement and became the stuff of legend overnight, introducing words like tab and yomping into the common vocabulary. But was it wise, or necessary, to force those men to undertake such a daunting challenge without the benefit of their sleep systems or even a change of clothing? Why weren't the enemy positions on Longdon subjected to a sustained artillery barrage prior to the attack? Was the hope that the paras could somehow take the enemy by surprise based on sound military judgment or just misplaced officer ego? What about the decision to attack a heavily entrenched position, complete with heavy machine guns, using tactics "not dissimilar to those seen in the battles of the first world war?"

Even after the war had ended there are many questions to be answered. Not least where was the support for those men who had given so much of themselves? Where was the support for the families of those who were killed or injured? These men were heroes and deserved so much better.

One would like to think lessons have been learned and things have improved but with constant reports of kit shortages and of charities battling to fill gaps in the inadequate support systems provided by HMG & MOD it seems, sadly, very little has.

I apologise if this review was overly long but, as I said earlier, this is an extremely thought provoking book. Buy it. Read it.

One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
by Pen Farthing

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly inspirational read, 2 Mar. 2009
I generally judge a book by the number of sessions it takes me to complete it. By that measure alone One Dog At A Time fully deserves 5 stars as I was unable to put it down from the moment I opened it. Every emotion was tweaked along the way - anger, despair, hope, disappointment, frustration, sadness, relief, joy - they all came at me in an unpredictable and sometimes overwhelming onslaught. This is partially an inevitable consequence of the subject matter but a great deal of credit must also go to the author who did a truly excellent job of telling the story.

The plight of the dogs is obviously the focus of the book but you also get a very personal insight into what life is really like for our troops serving on the frontline in Afghanistan. You also get a fair and honest view of what life is really like for the local population, the challenges they face and why it's essential we give our forces the support they need to see this job through. It's very humbling and inspiring to know that we have men like Pen and his mates who have the professionalism to serve in such an inhospitable and culturally backward environment without ever losing touch of their own humanity.