Profile for Theis Egeberg > Reviews

Wahl Five Star Balding Clipper
Wahl Five Star Balding Clipper
Offered by HEALTHY ROOTS NURSERY,LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best things I've ever bought, 17 Sept. 2012
I went from cutting my hair once a month to once a week because it's just so pleasurable to use this thing. It DOESN'T cut your head in any way, if it does it's because the clippers are set wrong, it shows you how to set them in the manual. It does exactly what it promises, and just feels right. Also there are some assorted "mouth pieces" and they are perfect for trimming a short beard. I have recommended this to every bald-by-choice friend I've got.

Essays In Love
Essays In Love
by Alain de Botton

1.0 out of 5 stars Eloquence and intelligence serving a poor perspective, 4 May 2009
This review is from: Essays In Love (Paperback)
The intelligence of Alain De Botton (ADB hereafter) is unquestionable, after reading most of his other books I picked this one up while writing a book on the subject of love myself. I don't know if the relationship ADB describes is fictional, but I hope so. Describing love through an immature and deeply dysfunctional relationship is like reasoning the nature of religion through a punk-rock suicide cult. It describes nothing about the nature of love, simply how deeply sociopathic people tend to be because they do not understand love. ADBs only win in this book is that he does not give any answer as to what love is, and in this he hits one true note in that love is likely to be very subjective. But at this it fails to ask any of the questions that we should ask ourselves about love, and thus completely fails to do anything but reassure us that immaturity is natural and probably unavoidable. I think this is a deeply disturbing and paralyzing message to send, and even if the book is well written I give it one star because I see it as one of the biggest blunders in attempts to write about love.

It might be argued that ADB tries to tell us what love isn't in this book, but then it should offer alternatives or at least questions that lead us to make our reach our own ideas. There is no genious in painting an ugly picture, hanging it on the wall and then expecting that people will replace it with a beautiful one. And the painter should definately not be deluded enough to believe that s/he can take credit for the replacement.

Also it could be argued that it is inspiring in its own right, but I found myself downright despairing while reading it. And this is probably the best reason for not picking it up - while other books by ADB are very uplifting this is a trip down a pointless painful path. The few pieces of wisdom hidden in this rather short book can easily by found in other much greater books on the subject (and in other of ADBs books). "The art of loving" by Fromm and "Love and loneliness" by Krishnamurti are more contemporary alternatives on the subject of love. Also one could dig into the philosophy of Kant, while not writing about love he writes about moral, which is quite easy to apply to love and relationships. Why ADB who has clearly read both Kant and Sartre chooses to write this book I cannot fathom, I simply hope to have dissuaded anyone from reading it.

Again I want to make it clear that I have great respect for ADB and his other works, and especially The art of travel and Status anxiety are shining gems, then the consolations of philosophy also bulk of insightful, witty and intelligent points. Do not refrain from reading his other books, even if you started with this one.

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High
Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High
by Kerry Patterson

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly brilliant - sometimes boring, 31 Dec. 2007
The best part of it is that it really helps, it doesn't read like your classic self-help book either. The analysis comes off as scientific and intelligent, not your average "I think it's like this" book. The downside is that it also gets a bit boring and lengthy at points - once you've gotten the point it often continues five more pages. Some points in the book I found hard to apply, but around 80% of the advice is directly applicable. It is full of examples - but they are served exactly the same way everytime : short and heavy handed. I'd rather see some more real-life examples with all the subleties we use in our language.

The Definitive Book of Body Language: How to Read Others' Attitudes by Their Gestures
by Allan Pease

4.0 out of 5 stars To the point, 31 Dec. 2007
It dives straight into it - and it sticks to it all the way through. It contains a vast amount of practical advice and it is all well-served and easily applicable in everyday life. If you only read one book on body language let this be the one - it covers the subjects you really want mapped out by a book about body language. Also the tone is light and motivating.

The Magus (Vintage Classics)
The Magus (Vintage Classics)
by John Fowles

5.0 out of 5 stars The best work of fiction I've come across yet.., 30 Dec. 2007
This is a psychological maze, written for the arrogant young intellectual, and every piece as relevant now as it was when written. It defies any description - and any clue as to what it's about would simply be like painting a swan in flight and claiming it is the same as the actual swan. A word of advice, do not let anyone tell you anything about the storyline of the book - part of the experience is to be surprised and go "You're kidding!" when you can't let the book down and know you should really be sleeping.

Bad Thoughts: A Guide to Clear Thinking
Bad Thoughts: A Guide to Clear Thinking
by Jamie Whyte

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick witty read, 30 Dec. 2007
It's witty and well written. It is not a rulebook for logics, or even anything close. It doesn't try to be either. What it gives you are some simple ways of spotting the most common fallacies in logic as they present themselves in media and even worse when they are uttered by friends who we all know - should know better. It's not a toolbox either - you won't learn to pick the arguements to counter your friends follies, but you will spot them. It leaves alot of work to you - but then... at 150 pages, what do you expect? - I would recommend it to any teenager planning on a career in politics or media.

Stumbling on Happiness (P.S.)
Stumbling on Happiness (P.S.)
by Daniel Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincing... but then... you might have different preferences, 30 Dec. 2007
The book puts forward a very convincing and persuading argument. The problem is though, I don't think it applies to everyone. And since it speaks about what you would want for your future and how you'll really feel about it - the generalizations are a bit harsh. For me, it was an eye-opener. I feel like I might actually fit into the group of people who the book touches upon, but I doubt everyone - from every culture would follow this schema. If you take that into account, and do not gulp down every persuasive argument therein, it does hold alot of useful information that will help you make the right choices. It reminds me of the tipping point and the paradox of choice in writing style.

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (20th anniversary edition with a new preface by the author)
by Douglas R Hofstadter

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and mind bending, 30 Dec. 2007
Even though it is old, it still holds all its qualities intact. To me it is the bible of everything that begins with "meta". It hovers elegantly around so many subjects and still ties them together into self-reference and I doubt anyone can help but be charmed. The challenges are put forward in such a playful manner that only the crankiest stick in the stickiest mud could not help but swaying their way. But be warned - it does take an effort - and all other books will feel both easy, shallow and... well... literally light by comparison.

Magic in Theory: An Introduction to the Theoretical and Psychological Elements of Conjuring
by Peter Lamont

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very academic and rarely interesting, 30 Dec. 2007
It is a very academic attempt at writing a framework for describing magic. I doubt it will ever be used as it isn't intuitive or very rich in terminology. The book might do well in some circles but among magicians I think it will fail. The thing that gives it two stars is its very concise and elegant description of misdirection, that chapter I will read over and over again... thinking about it I might as well tear those pages out and throw away the rest of the book.

Acting: The First Six Lessons (Theatre Arts Book)
Acting: The First Six Lessons (Theatre Arts Book)
by Richard Boleslavsky

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and entertaining, 30 Dec. 2007
I found it very accessible to the layman, and I picked up a few ideas from it. It doesn't contain ALOT of knowledge - but is presented in a very entertaining way. It is a quick read, but it demands alot from the reader to actually put the ideas into practice. I would not hesitate to give it to people not involved in theatre. Even the most minute interest warrants reading this book.

Page: 1 | 2