Profile for bob street > Reviews

Content by bob street

bob street "bobstr"

Page: 1 | 2
Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire Book 3)
Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition font salad., 21 Jan. 2016
The Kindle edition at least -- possibly the paper edition, too; I wouldn't know -- simply uses too many fonts.

By page 65, I'd encountered 3. The 'now' thread is fine -- it uses your chosen Kindle font, as you'd expect. The 'five years ago' thread uses a fixed-width font something like Courier but with jarringly sans-serif lower-case "m". Then we reach Chella's story, which uses a sans-serif font. Helvetica, I think.

There's a reason most books are printed using a proportionally-spaced serif font -- it's because they're readable. The other two are not.

I can't review the writing, since I had to give up. I admit to a little morbid curiosity as to what other fonts might be lurking in the rest of the book -- maybe there's a chapter or two presented in Comic Sans? -- but I'm not curious enough to carry on reading.

Ajax for Dummies
Ajax for Dummies

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ebook formatting, 3 May 2015
This review is from: Ajax for Dummies (Kindle Edition)
This is a review of the kindle edition.

The formatting of this ebook is absolutely terrible. All the bits are present, but not necessarily in the right order, the right size, the right color, or the right font.

It seems that the software which converts the original to kindle format gets confused by drop-caps, figures, tables, and source code.

It further appears that no human -- or at least none with any sense of pride -- bothered to check the conversion.

Having seen the sample, I thought that I would be able to tolerate the formatting, especially for the bargain price of £3.77, but a quarter of the way through the book, I found myself totally frustrated.

I returned it for a refund, since to do otherwise would simply encourage these half-baked conversions.

Synthetic Leather Sleeve for Kindle Fire HD 8.9/HDX 8.9" (2013 & 2014 versions), and Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 by Dockem; Slim, Simple, and Professional Executive Case - Soft Microfiber Felt Lined Dark Brown Basic Synthetic Leather Protective Tablet Pouch Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect fit for my Nexus 9, 27 April 2015
A perfect fit for my Nexus 9.

I prefer a slip case to those things that permanently contain your device -- when I spend money on sleek electronics, sleek electronics is what I want to touch and feel! -- and this does the job perfectly.

SanDisk SDCZ55-016G-B35Z 16 GB Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 Drive - Black
SanDisk SDCZ55-016G-B35Z 16 GB Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 Drive - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile., 3 Dec. 2014
Over the years, I've owned many USB flash drives.

This has been the least reliable and shortest lived of all of them.

I've been carrying it on a keyring (using the convenient keyring hole that you see in the image -- so it's not an unreasonable usage scenario) for about six months, and it's just fallen apart into five separate pieces, the most important of which is currently missing in action somewhere.

Even back when it was in one piece, several different PCs would all insist that it was unformatted about 10% of the time, requiring me to remove it and reinsert it.

Single Page Web Applications: JavaScript end-to-end
Single Page Web Applications: JavaScript end-to-end
by Michael Mikowski

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for inexperienced JS developers, 15 July 2014
This book concentrates heavily on how to do Javascript *right* (or at least *right* in the opinion of the author).

If, like me, you're not an experienced web + Javascript developer, then this rather obscures the teaching of how to do it *at all*; unless you've actually encountered the unexpected-interaction and maintainability issues that the author's framework is intended to solve, there's little motivation to work through the heavy boilerplate code that this book advocates, little understanding of why this is necessary, and no basis to judge whether or not it's totally overdone.

On the plus side, it's very very nice to see the author present Javascript as it is (a prototype-based language with more in common with Lisp than Java, despite the Java-esque syntax), rather than how he thinks it should be -- all too many Javascript books inform us that Javascript is a prototype based language, without classes, then launch into descriptions of how to emulate a class-based paradigm, then blithely refer to 'classes' throughout the rest of the book; an approach which makes as much sense as preparing someone to live in France by teaching them to speak German and giving them a French/German dictionary.

The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air [DVD]
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air [DVD]
Dvd ~ Janet Varney

2.0 out of 5 stars Different..., 17 Feb. 2014
It's certainly beautiful. Really, really beautiful.

And you've got to admire the creators for trying something different rather than just rehashing the same story.

But I'm afraid it did nothing for me. I just couldn't connect with the steampunk-1930s-Chicago setting, the Triad & Henry Ford bad guys, or the Welcome-to-Gladiators "Pro-bending" sport.

Compared to what came before, I found it charmless, humorless, and uninvolving.

Arsehole Jamboree 2014: The Daily Mash Annual
Arsehole Jamboree 2014: The Daily Mash Annual
by The Daily Mash

5.0 out of 5 stars Udder tripe, 20 Jan. 2014
If your a fan of the Daily Mash, then you really should be able to tell the difference between "you're" and "your". It's not really very difficult.

I haven't read this book, but I won't let my lack of knowledge get in the way of my opinion. Wait. Oh. Apparently I will.

The Killables
The Killables

3.0 out of 5 stars Stock YA Dystopia, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Killables (Kindle Edition)
Well written, as always from Gemma Malley. There are never any problems there -- she's clearly very competent and very well practiced. I wasn't even overly disconcerted by her repeated use of 'amygdalas' rather than 'amygdalae' as the plural of 'amygdala'.

But this is beneath her skills. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, and I even quite enjoyed it, but it lacks originality, or any spark that makes me want to read on. It's all been done before. It was constantly reminding me of other books. Wild Jack, The Frozen City, The Guardians, and Outside, were the most obvious to me, but there are likely others.

Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

2.0 out of 5 stars Paper Grey, 26 Oct. 2012
The appeal of this product for me was the "paperwhite" display.

Unfortunately, it's no more paper-white than my old Kindle unless it's grossly over-lit, at which point I don't really see what advantage it has over using the Kindle app on a smart phone or a tablet.

At least on a phone/tablet the light is generally of constant intensity over the whole area of the screen.

NETGEAR DGN1000-100UKS N150 Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections
Offered by NETWORK LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars A brick., 4 July 2012
If this device were just a bit heavier, a little more sturdy, and not quite so ugly, then it would make a perfectly servicable doorstop.

Good points: Easy to set up (DSL username and password entered and it connects to the internet no trouble), and it works fine when wired.

Bad points: Wireless just Does Not Work. I've checked that it's got the latest firmware, updated the drivers on all my client devices, tried every possible encryption setting, tried using various fixed channels rather than the 'auto' setting, tried limiting it to 802.11b/g, all to no avail. It simply will not work for more than about an hour at a time.

It's going to be returned.

I bought Netgear because of their reputation and previous positive experience. I won't be doing so again in a hurry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2012 9:44 AM BST