Profile for Mrs. K. A. Wheatley > Reviews

Content by Mrs. K. A. Whe...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 402

Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Billy Button, Telegram Boy (Little Gems)
Billy Button, Telegram Boy (Little Gems)
by Sally Nicholls

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Charming, 25 July 2016
This is a really charming little book by Sally Nicholls for the brilliant independent publisher, Barrington Stoke. This is one of their Little Gem books, perfect for small hands to hold. Billy Button's dad runs the post office, and when the normal telegram delivery boy is sick, Billy is drafted in to do his job. Billy has to help the path of true love run smoothly and in doing so he learns how to break a few rules for the greater good. Sweet, with wonderful illustrations by Sheena Dempsey this is a lovely story for children aged 5-7 to read alone, and to share with younger children.

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove
by Fredrik Backman

3.0 out of 5 stars A good example of its genre, 25 July 2016
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Paperback)
This is in much the same vein as The Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out of the window and the myriad other similar books it has spawned. Having said that, if you like the genre, you will like this book. Ove is an interesting character who you warm to as the book progresses. I found the flashback stuff a bit dull at times, and had guessed at some of the things that shaped Ove's life before they were revealed, which made it easy to put down in places. Having said that, the book really picked up for me in the last quarter and I did enjoy the end intensely.

Replica
Replica
by Lauren Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Stuff, 22 July 2016
This review is from: Replica (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a fantastic read. Thought provoking dystopian fiction that grabbed me from the first page. You get two view points in the book, from the two different protagonists, who, it turns out, have a lot more in common than it first seems. The writing is crisp, the pace is brisk and the book absolutely absorbs you. I read it in a day. It felt like although the narrative finished satisfactorily, there was the potential for more of this story. I really hope I'm right.

Mister Memory
Mister Memory
by Marcus Sedgwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Suitably Gothic, 14 July 2016
This review is from: Mister Memory (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Marcus Sedgwick is an author who never fails to impress. His novels are varied in theme and ideas but there is always an underlying surge of darkness there, something that makes you uneasy, that makes you think, that nags away at you. Mister Memory is his first novel for adults that I've read, and I loved it. It's clever and thought provoking and macabre. I was never entirely sure where he was going with the plot and it kept me turning the pages. I was hooked. Fantastic stuff.

Northanger Abbey
Northanger Abbey
by Val McDermid

3.0 out of 5 stars It was Alright, 10 July 2016
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Paperback)
Northanger Abbey is my least favourite of all the Austen books, and I really wasn't thrilled by McDermid's reworking of it. It brought it up to date where it could, but there are preposterously old fashioned bits which refused to be dragged into the 21st Century and seemed odd in the updated narrative. It was readable but not gripping, and the update didn't add any charm, which the book needed then and still needs now. It was a diverting way to pass the time, but nothing more than that.

At the Edge of the Orchard
At the Edge of the Orchard
by Tracy Chevalier

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing Historical Drama, 8 July 2016
Tracy Chevalier never disappoints. All her books are fascinating, and so different from each other. She is also infinitely readable. In this book, she looks at the world of trees and seed collecting against the backdrop of settlers across America trying to find their home and future. We follow two generations of the same family as they struggle for survival, and it is a struggle. Heart rending at times, but always page turning. I loved this.

Upstairs at the Party
Upstairs at the Party
by Linda Grant

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 July 2016
This review is from: Upstairs at the Party (Paperback)
An incredibly well written book, sharp, neatly plotted, thoughtful, but for me, a difficult read. I think partly it was that I just didn't warm to any of the characters and particularly the narrator, Adele. I know Adele is meant to be hard to like, hard to reach, it is what the other characters in the book find her to be after all, but it affected my ability to empathise with her to any great degree, and I found the book really hard to click with because of it. I just didn't like any of the people in it enough to really buy into what happens to them.

Nina is Not OK
Nina is Not OK
by Shappi Khorsandi

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Stuff, 6 July 2016
This review is from: Nina is Not OK (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read Shappi Khorsandi's A Beginner's Guide to Acting English a few years ago and loved it. She writes so beautifully, and I have been hoping ever since that she might put pen to paper again. Nina is Not OK is her first novel, A Beginner's Guide was a memoir. I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but I was really impressed. Nina is a young woman with quite a lot of problems, and she solves all of them with alcohol. Alcohol isn't a problem though, everyone her age likes to go out and tie one on now and again, except that Nina does it every day, and finds her situation getting worse and worse, putting herself in danger repeatedly, and alienating her friends and family. This is the story of a young woman's struggle with alcoholism, and Khorsandi writes incredibly well about it. I lived with an alcoholic myself for years, and this book is a fair reflection of what I know this type of life to be like. It's raw, uncomfortable and pretty unflinching. I thought it was excellent.

Orangeboy
Orangeboy
by Patrice Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gripping, 5 July 2016
This review is from: Orangeboy (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wasn't sure if I was going to like this. But I read it all in less than 24 hours and absolutely ate it up. It's gritty but compassionate, fierce and uncompromising and absolutely reels you in. The characters are so well drawn, and Marlon, in particular is amazing. I have absolutely no idea whether what Lawrence depicts is close to the reality of the situation at all, but she made me feel that it was. I loved it.

Half of the Human Race
Half of the Human Race

5.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Burn but Absolutely Gripped, 3 July 2016
I absolutely loved this. I found it a bit of a slow burner, but it was increasingly absorbing and by the half way mark I could not put this down. I thought Connie was a particularly brilliant character, her commitment to suffrage was only outshone by her commitment to being true to herself, regardless of how much danger she put herself in. Will, as her romantic lead, is a good foil for her, and their story is perfectly pitched against the uproar of the suffrage movement and the horror of World War One.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20