Profile for annoushkadomynique > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Scoring Wilder
Scoring Wilder

4.0 out of 5 stars Scorching hot and perfect for the summer!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Scoring Wilder (Kindle Edition)
If Scoring Wilder hasn’t made its way to your summer reading list yet then what are you playing at? C’mon people, step it up already! This is a fast paced, fun read that is scorching hot and will have you squirming in your seat.

There’s no denying the fact that I love a good college/high school themed book. I could read this genre (is that what you’d call it?) all day, everyday, so if you have any recommendations then you know where to comment. I was slightly wary of this one as its main focus is soccer—or football as us Brits call it—and I’m not particularly interested in the sport. However my doubts vanished once I’d gotten into the book and I actually found myself enjoying that aspect of the story.

Scoring Wilder opens up with our heroine—Kinsley Bryant—catching her boyfriend Josh, at it with a complete bimbo. This is nothing new for Kinsley as her previous boyfriend also cheated on her. She sure knows how to pick them! As she takes in the scene she keeps her exterior cool, calm and collected while her inner monologue is making snide comments that had me crying so hard from laughter. Fast-forward two weeks, Kinsley’s arrived at college and is on her way to becoming a soccer superstar. All is going well…that is until she meets the tenacious Liam Wilder at an LA Stars party. Immediately sparks are flying and Kinsley can think of nothing more than getting to know his tattoos on a more personal level. Things aren’t always what they seem though and soon Liam lets it slip that he’ll be coaching her at ULA. Uh-oh!

While reading forbidden romances I’ve often felt discouraged, as a lot of the time they’ve turned out to be quite cheesy and over exaggerated. But when done right they can make for an excellent read. I feel that R.S. Grey has nailed it perfectly with this book. She has created swoon worthy characters that are realistic, loveable and downright hilarious. But don’t get me wrong; there are a couple of characters that made me want to rip my hair out. I wont be naming these particular characters or why they did this, as you should read the book to find out for yourself. The authors writing flows beautifully throughout the novel, there’s never a dull moment and you’ll find yourself staying up till all hours to complete it.

I’d like to point out that this is a New Adult novel so I’d recommend it to those of you that are 17+. The book contains mature content that younger teenagers parents may be uncomfortable with their child reading,

I hope that this review is enough to encourage you to give this gem of a book a go; believe me when I say it’s definitely worth the read. You’ll be left in a delirious state of mind as you ache for more Liam Wilder action. I also think that it’ll open your eyes to independently published authors. We as readers don’t give them enough credit and often go for overhyped books by well-known, big-name authors. This isn’t always a bad thing but its great to show some support every once in a while! I cant wait to see what else this author has to offer as her storytelling is superb and I don’t think I’ll be able to find much else better this summer.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
by Holly Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Who said paranormal was dead?, 18 May 2014
You know when you go to a concert and the band leaves the stage because its “over” but the crowd knows that there will be an encore, so everyone starts chanting “WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE!” over and over until they come back on. Well, that’s all I can hear in my head while writing this review. Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book I cant help but feel a little let down with the ending. This is a standalone novel but could easily be part of a duology or even a series. Has Holly Black purposefully left this open ended or is that really it?

This book had been on my radar for quite some time prior to this review. Having not read anything by Holly Black before I thought it was time to give her a go. Believe me, it certainly won’t be the last time I read a book of hers. Although this had its flaws, I was able to look past them and enjoy the book for what it is.

Admittedly I'm always sceptic to read paranormal fiction as it has become annoyingly tiresome since twilight. I mean, what vampire sparkles in the sun and is a vegetarian? I'm sorry Edward but you just aren't cutting it for me. I want malicious, natural born hunters. I want vampires who kill with no remorse and take everything they can get. I’m not looking for a love story. I’m looking for straight up badassery! You’ll be glad to know that this book has it all, everything that I mentioned above and more is included is this brilliantly crafted novel.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was a refreshing read as it is the polar opposite of Twilight. Right from the offset I knew that I was going to enjoy this book, the premise was exciting and Holly Blacks writing was incredible. I didn’t think that I’d get so caught up in this world that Black has created but I crave more of it. No, I don’t crave it…I need it.

I don’t want to spoil you too much; instead I urge y’all to give this book a chance because if you’re anything like me then you’ll love it. This is an unforgettable book that I know I will enjoy rereading over and over again. I can’t help but think that paranormal fiction is finally redeeming itself; with authors such as Holly Black, Julie Kagawa and Jennifer L Armentrout around I have hope for the genre.

The Bronze Horseman
The Bronze Horseman
by Paullina Simons

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book so far this year..., 18 May 2014
This review is from: The Bronze Horseman (Paperback)
My heart of stone has been shattered into a thousand pieces. It feels like a pickaxe has been taken to it and damn, it hurts. The Bronze Horseman is like no other book I’ve read before, so many authors have tried and failed to bring me down but Paullina Simons rose to the challenge and crushed me like a bug. I may never be the same again.

This will probably be one of the hardest reviews I’ve ever written, I can’t seem to put my thoughts coherently into sentences; I’m still reeling from all the emotion! The Bronze Horseman is a tale of suffering, survival and above all what it means to be in love.

“Love is,” she repeated slowly, looking only at Dasha, “when he is hungry and you feed him. Love is knowing when he is hungry”

Although this isn’t the type of book I’d normally go for I decided to pick it up anyway. I’m going to be honest here and say that it intimidated me. First of all, it’s a chunk of a book and I didn’t think I’d actually manage to read it all. And secondly, its historical fiction, so to say that it’s out of my comfort zone is an understatement. Historical fiction hasn’t ever been one of my go to genres let alone historical fiction with a boatload of romance!

Time ceased to exist while reading this, I was so invested in Tatiana and Alexanders story that I simply couldn’t put the book down. Whenever I didn’t have the book to hand my thoughts were with it. I was desperate to find out what horrors Tatia and Shura would have to face next in this hell bent society. I found myself ignoring family and friends so I could fully immerse myself in their story. Who has time to do anything else while reading such an epic book? What is food? What is this thing called the outside world that people rave about? Who needs a social life when there is fiction? Let me tell you now, my ignorance was worth it as this book has taken me on an emotion fuelled journey.

Paullina Simons writing is not only heart achingly beautiful but also incredibly descriptive. I felt like I had been transported to Russia and was in the midst of it all surrounded by these characters I’d grown to know and love so well. With her writing being so descriptive you can imagine how sexually explicit it got; yeah… this isn’t for younger readers.

"Why did we spend two days fighting when we could have been doing this?"
"That wasn't fighting, Tatiana. That was foreplay.”

Never have I cried so much while reading a book, my heart feels weak from all the damage its taken and yet I still want more. I know for certain that this will always have a place in my heart and will be a re-read time and time again. I can only hope that I’ve convinced some of you to give it a chance, as I’d love to be able to discuss it further.

After reading The Bronze Horseman I knew I had to buy the next two instalments in the trilogy. I was meant to be buying holiday clothes but instead have chosen fiction; my order from Amazon should be coming tomorrow. My mum thinks that I’m ridiculously sad for desperately wanting the next two books but she just doesn’t understand. I’m slightly nervous to continue reading, as with the way this one ended I’m not sure I can handle any more heartbreak. I guess we’ll have to wait and see!

Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy Book 3)
Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Sensual and Downright Epic!, 18 May 2014
My bittersweet heart feels nothing but euphoric joy. Sweet Reckoning—which should be renamed to Sweet Feels…okay so maybe that sounds like an uber cheesy erotic novel but yeah, feels—has given me everything from intense sadness too immense happiness. I don’t think my heavy heart can take all of the emotion.

As the saying goes, everything comes at a price and it really does fit in with this series. Throughout the books we’ve seen our main protagonist overcome many problems but it doesn’t always end well. In this epic finale Anna has to decide whom she’s fighting for and what she’s willing to give up in the process. I’ve really enjoyed watching Anna blossom from the weak, timid little girl we first met into a hardcore all singing, all dancing badass!

Because this is the finale book in the trilogy I don’t want to give too much away by rattling on. However, can we just take a moment to discuss the ever so sexy and endearing Kaiden Rowe? Like Anna, he has taken on many challenges throughout the trilogy. We’ve seen him question his purpose and deny himself of what is natural to him in order to save the people he loves. As far as character development goes I think Wendy nailed this one perfectly.

Truth be told, I never thought we’d see the day that Kaiden and Anna have the chance to be happy together but it seems that Ms Higgins ships them just as much as we do. Enough so she’d give us what we all want and damn, I’m not one to read and tell but… it was mighty fine! How can something be so sensual yet so sweet at the same time?

In this action packed, mind blowing conclusion we see Anna do everything she can to not only save the Nephilim but also mankind from the terrible demons that prowl the earth and revel in all things evil. The book isn’t always serious though, we get some heartwarming and humorous scenes that’ll either have you giggling like a schoolgirl or shedding a tear or two. Sweet Reckoning sees the return of many favourite characters as they join together in order to help Anna rid the world of all things horrendous. This trilogy is so much more than your average paranormal/fantasy novel and I think that the finale was definitely worth the wait as it was everything I could’ve hoped for.

The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, Book 3)
The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that is how you write a book!, 15 April 2014
The Forever Song is the eagerly awaited finale to Julie Kagawa’s riveting Blood of Eden series. Your pulse will be pounding, your heart will be cracking and at the end of it you’ll be left with one serious book hangover. You might have thought the worst had happened in The Eternity Cure, but trust me, you haven’t seen nothing yet. So sit back and please do try to relax as you are in for one hell of a ride!

As we have seen in its predecessors The Forever Song is full of life. Which is kind of ironic, wouldn’t you agree? True to form, Julie Kagawa cleverly provides us with laugh out loud moments to mask the true pain you should be feeling. Don’t worry though; it will hit you hard like a 10 tonne truck. This woman is the master of trickery; even in the darkest of times we are lead to believe that there is hope only for it to then be smashed when things go to s*** two minutes later. I wouldn’t give up hoping though as there is always a silver lining.

Kagawa is in a class of her own, one thing that I enjoy about her writing is her ability to sculpt a terrifying yet believable world. She has an incredible attention to detail and with that I was able to picture everything from minute abandoned houses to the vast vampire cities. I particularly like how we took a trip down memory lane and returned to Old Chicago, the raider city in which we first met the loveable—maybe that’s an overstatement, so shall I say… barely tolerable? —Jackal.

I’m just kidding with you guys by the way; Jackal is hands down my favourite character of the series. He didn’t start off in my good books but as the series progressed we have seen him blossom into a hero like figure. Of course his personality hasn’t changed though. Which I’m more than happy about because he just wouldn’t be the same if he became… nice? Jackal brings a certain twinge of humour during the most inappropriate of times. They could be in the goriest of fights and he would still find away to lighten up the mood. Albeit his sadistic sense of humour does go unappreciated by his travelling companions (Allie and Kanin)

This final installment is an example to all authors of how a series should be wrapped up. However I can’t help but feel that Julie has purposefully left it quite open ended, maybe she has something in the works? I hope she does as I cant imagine a life without my favourite characters.

This book has twists and turns at all points and you’ll sure as hell be shocked with the choices that the characters make along the way. I know for a fact that this series will be at the top of my favourites for a long time and I cannot wait for the rest of you to experience the epic journey that is The Forever Song.

One last thing before I go, if you’re anything like me then you may need some tissues as this is definitely full of heart shattering moments. Cue ugly crying.

Days of Blood and Starlight: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 2
Days of Blood and Starlight: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 2
by Laini Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Laini Taylors writing is awe inspiring, 5 April 2014
Can we please take a minute to appreciate the goddess that is Laini Taylor? I adore this woman and her mesmerizing writing. If you haven’t read anything by her yet then you need to reevaluate your life choices. Okay, so maybe that was slightly harsh but seriously, I urge everyone to go and pick up this series!

After learning that Akiva was at the center of the Chimaera massacre, the soul reason for the death of her family, we see Karou turn her back on him for good and venture into Eretz with an unlikely companion. Here she makes a shocking discovery that everything she once knew and loved is gone. Or so she thought… Fast-forward to Days of Blood and Starlight where riddles aren’t always what they seem.

Who said romance is dead? Well…Laini Taylor did. Days of Blood and Starlight steers away from the romantic aspect of things and focuses on the nitty gritty. This may be disappointing for some of you but believe me when I say it makes the book better. I loved the storytelling in this installment; in the first book we’re given only a glimpse of Eretz and its history, it focuses more on Karou and the burning question of who she is. Whereas in this Laini Taylor paints the bigger picture, we’re shown the repercussions of war and the effects that it’s had on not only the Chimaera but also the Seraphim.

There are several new characters and storylines introduced to us in this; I can only hope that Laini will carry on with them in the final book. I’d like to know what happened to the two sisters and whether Karou will resurrect the Dashnag boy. I thoroughly enjoyed that this book didn’t solely revolve around Karou as we’re able to see things from multiple perspectives. My new favourite has to be Ziri as he is such a loveable character; I couldn’t say anything bad about him! I know I haven’t mentioned any of the old characters, but have no fear; most of them make an appearance at some time or another.

Although I’m slightly annoyed with myself for waiting so long to read it, I’m glad I did, as now I wont have to wait as long for the finale. I can’t wait to see how Laini progresses the story in order to get the ending that this series deserves. I know that this review probably doesn’t do the book justice but I’d like to think that it’s pushed y’all to read it already. Go on, I know you want to!

World After: Penryn and the End of Days Book Two: 2
World After: Penryn and the End of Days Book Two: 2
by Susan Ee

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 3 April 2014
World After explodes (maybe that’s a bit of an overstatement) onto the scenes right where Angel Fall left off. If this were real life it’d only have been 5 minutes since the last event in Angel Fall had happened. I highly doubt you guy’s care about that though! I know it’s early in the year to be saying this but I reckon this series will be up there with my favourites this year. This book is the perfect example of a thrilling novel; it has the right amount of action fueled by heartbreaking discoveries. Susan Ee has won me over once again. 4.5 stars for World After!

I’ve been seeing many complaints about the pace of this book on Goodreads. I advise you to ignore them. So the books a bit slower than Angel Fall but who cares? The plot building only added to the epicness that is this book.

When Penryn isn’t caught up in family drama or being held hostage we are treated to some interesting interaction between Raffes sword and her. Sounds weird right? Funnily enough it actually worked! Believe me I’m as surprised as everyone else. At first I was slightly skeptical of these scenes but as the book progressed I found myself loving them. However, what got me the most was how Penryn appropriately named the sword Pooky Bear! I was absolutely howling when Raffe found out his swords new name.

The banter ball was in full swing throughout World After. Raffe and Penryns ever-growing friendship was once again a highlight for me and I can only dream whether it’ll turn into anything more than that. But for now I’m happy with the comedy gold they provide.

If you thought the angels couldn’t get any more diabolical then you were wrong, in World After they gave the term “too far” a whole new meaning. I didn’t know where Susan Ee would go with the whole scorpion breading thing but man did she floor me with shock. If you’ve had your doubts about carrying on with this series you should brush them aside and just pick this up!

Daughter of Smoke and Bone: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 1
Daughter of Smoke and Bone: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 1
by Laini Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars? Psht more like infinite stars!, 3 April 2014
It’s been a long time since I read this book but a review is better late than never! I'm planning on reading the second book soon so I thought it’d be the perfect time to write this. So, first things first, this book was fricken epic. And when I say epic I mean EPIC. Yeah I do realise how many times I've said the word epic in the last few sentences but it really is the perfect word to describe this book.

My review probably won’t do this book any justice. I mean I can’t even put my thoughts coherently together at this point and it’s been a year since I read it! It just goes to show how much this book blew my mind. If you haven’t read it yet then please just go and buy it. Read it, Live it and Love it.

This book is a rare find, it’s not very often you come across a book which is so utterly perfect. Laini Taylor has created something to be proud of. Her words are ones of fine craftsmanship. She isn't just good at writing; she’s a master of writing. With the flow of a smooth symphony, this book may seem slow but it enables the reader to appreciate it a lot more.

I picked this book up with no clue to what it was about or who Laini Taylor was. I’d seen a few reviews on YouTube and thought that it sounded right up my street. I wasn't wrong. It captured my heart right from the start and the fact that its set in Prague just heightened my love for it even more. Prague is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. So while reading this I was reminded of the mystical atmosphere that surrounds this city with its Gothic churches and the creepy gargoyles that swarm them.

I adored everything about this book. With its eye catching cover and wonderfully sculpted characters, I was hooked. I really enjoyed how as readers we were in the same position as Karou. We didn't really know much about her or where she came from and even if she was human or not! But in a fateful moment her world comes crashing down around her. The secrets of her past are handed to us on a silver platter. The truths out and we’re finally able to come to terms with what’s happening in this mysterious world and why it all started in the first place.

I'm glad that I went into this story blind as it added mystery to the book. But this book is more than a mystery. I can’t even begin to explain what it is. However, it is definitely something, something that not even words can do justice. It’s definitely a 5 star read that deserves a place on everyone’s shelf.

Unravel Me
Unravel Me
by Tahereh Mafi

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Tahereh you're a wonderful woman, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Unravel Me (Paperback)
Tahereh Mafi’s writing style is so utterly captivating you can’t help but find yourself drawn to it. She could be writing about the most horrific thing in the world and still find a way to make it seem beautiful. Okay so maybe her world building isn’t up to scratch but that doesn’t matter. The writing is that good you wont care!

If you’ve read my review for Shatter Me you will know how much I loved that book, I don’t think I’ve ever gushed so much in my life. Unravel Me was no different. Heck I’m still finding it hard to put my thoughts into sentences and I finished reading this nearly 6 days ago now.

I think everyone who’s read this book will agree that Juliette was very irritating during the first few chapters. I found Juliette to be quite whiny, bitchy and downright rude. I understand that she was going through a lot but at times I thought shed gone too far. Alas the wonderful Kenji was there to pull her head out of her ass and bring Juliette back to reality. Needless to say Kenji was my favourite character throughout the whole of this series. Everything about him is so likeable and it’s a joy to read the scenes with him in.

I’m so glad that Juliette pulled herself together as we really got to see her character grow throughout this book. She finally comes to terms with the fact that she’ll never be a “normal” teenager and embraces the powers that she’s been graced with. It was interesting to see her learn to not only utilise them but also control them, especially as it didn’t come easily to her. This resulted in some amusing scenes between Juliette and Kenji as she was stressing out.

At the end of Shatter Me we see Adam and Juliette arrive at Omega Point, I wasn’t too sure how I felt about this, as it seemed wrong. I thought that they were stupid for trusting a bunch of people that they didn’t even know. I’m glad they decided to stay there as we learn that Juliette isn’t the only one with powers. In Unravel Me Tahereh spoils us with an array of new characters that have some supercool powers. This only got me even more excited to see what would come of the war between The Reestablishment and mankind.

Adam or Warner? A no brainer for me but a mind-boggling question for Juliette. Let me put this out there; I have been on team Warner since day one. I don’t know what it is about him but wow. He gets me hot and bothered, you will know what I mean when you read Chapter 62, holy smokes that chapter was incredible. I almost feel like a pervert for saying that. Note to self: He’s a fictional character but so damn gorgeous. You know what I like about this love triangle? It could go anywhere. As a reader you don’t know who will end up together and at times it can be frustrating but you still want more! Juliettes feelings towards both males are so conflicted, I almost feel sorry for the girl, she just doesn’t know what she wants! Throughout a lot of this book I found myself sitting with a smug smile plastered on my face. Lets just say Adam lets his cool slip and in comes King of the douchebags.

So if you thought Shatter Me was good then believe me, you haven’t seen nothing yet. While reading this book I was constantly updating my status on Goodreads and reading back on some of my reactions is quite amusing. This series has well and truly grabbed my heart; I’m looking forward to seeing more from Mafi in the future, as she really is a poetic author. I ended up marathoning Unravel Me and Ignite Me so stayed tuned for my review on the final book; it really was a terrific ending to an enchanting series.

Attachments
Attachments
by Rainbow Rowell

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, quirky and utterly unique!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
What I love most about Rainbow Rowell is that she manages to turn even the coldest of people—also known as me—to complete mush. She takes the most cliché of romances and turns them into something good, something that even I enjoy reading.

I was skeptical when I first started reading Attachments, as Lincoln didn’t stand out to me as the most interesting of guys. We’re introduced to this 29 year old who has a plethora of university degrees under his belt, a run of the mill job that he absolutely hates and he also enjoys spending his Saturday evenings playing Dungeons & Dragons. I nearly forgot to mention that he still lives at home with his mother and that’s the way he likes it. And to top all of that off he seemed reluctant to change. I really wasn’t looking to 300 odd pages of his crap. But boy oh boy I was proved wrong! Lincoln turned out to be an absolute sweetheart; I was rooting for him to get his happy ending.

I really enjoyed the email aspect of the book; I thought that this was a unique way to get to know Jennifer and Beth without having to meet them so early on in the story. As much as I loved Lincoln I think that the two girls were my favourite characters. Beth has an incredibly dry sense of humor and her love for movies is inspiring. I need a friend like her! Jennifer is slightly more grounded than Beth but that doesn’t mean she isn’t quirky. They both seemed so down to earth and you could see why they were best friends. As the story progresses we start to see more depth to their emails but through all the crap they still managed to stay amusing.

Attachments is unlike any romance novel I’ve ever read before. I liked how it didn’t revolve entirely around one character. Instead we get to see the lives of multiple people and how they inevitably come together at some point or another. This was a highly enjoyable book and I urge everyone to pick it up. It might not end up being your favourite book by Rainbow but I'm certain it'll entertain you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3