Profile for Robert Kinchin > Reviews

Robert Kinchin

NEWLink Dual IDE HDD NAS Drive with Print Server Function
NEWLink Dual IDE HDD NAS Drive with Print Server Function

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 29 Sept. 2011
I bought this device in order to be able to backup all our family photos, videos etc. Given that I had a number of reasonably large hard drives taken from retired PCs, I was able to put two 120GB drives into this NAS in a mirrored RAID configuration - giving protection against either of the drives failing.

I've simply plugged this into the wireless router provided by our broadband provider (I set it to a static IP so we could access it easily) and we can access it from all the computers/laptops etc in our house. As we use it for backup we tend to only switch it on when we want to store or retrieve something so it isn't running 24/7. The fan on it does make a noticeable noise (we originally had it plugged in near the TV in the living room and it was a bit of a pain).

Sure, it only supports IDE hard drives rather than the newer SATA drives but given the number of old computers in the world, it should be fairly straight forward to pick these up cheaply or free.

I've never tested the Print Server functionality on our device but everything I've used on it has just worked.

Eric Sink on the Business of Software (Expert's Voice)
Eric Sink on the Business of Software (Expert's Voice)
by Eric Sink

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 29 Sept. 2011
This book is based on posts which can be found on Eric's blog. Having read all of Eric's posts on this topic I still found it incredibly useful to have them all together in book form.

The style is informative and friendly (check out his blog for examples of his style).

I would definitely recommend this book as an introduction on the topic of building a software company together with Bob Walsh's book on the subject: Micro-ISV: From Vision to Reality.

Smiling Faces Pirates Candles
Smiling Faces Pirates Candles
Offered by The Fairy Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our little boy's birthday, 26 Sept. 2011
My wife made a cake in the shape of a pirate ship (with skewer masts and paper sails) and this miniature pirates and treasure chests really looked great on it.

We lit them, he blew them out, nothing burnt down (that's about all I'm asking for from candles really).

Gelert Cupboard/Wardrobe - Castle Rock / Charcoal
Gelert Cupboard/Wardrobe - Castle Rock / Charcoal

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made with lots of different storage opportunities, 26 Sept. 2011
We bought this after looking at numerous camping wardrobes in various stores (Amazon had the best price and could guarantee delivery).

It is well constructed, easy to put together and the pockets down the sides really add to the useful space.

I went to work one week from the campsite and it kept all my work clothes in an ironed condition.

The first week we took it away we forgot to take any hangers which rendered the hanging space a bit useless but we now keep a stack of hangers in the bag with the wardrobe.

A great buy!