Profile for Bookish Mama > Reviews

Content by Bookish Mama

Bookish Mama (Israel)

How Does a Czar Eat Potatoes? (Picture Grasshopper Books)
How Does a Czar Eat Potatoes? (Picture Grasshopper Books)
by Anne Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope this is back in print somewhere, 27 Oct. 2007
What a shame to see that this book is out of print, I thought it was something of a classic tale. Thankfully I've saved my childhood copy to read to my own child. If you can track down a copy get it to read to your son or daughter, this book is a gem!

My mother read this book to me when I was a toddler, well before I could really understand the deeper meaning of the story. I remember enjoying the vivid illustrations and fantastic descriptions of the czar as seen through the eyes of the peasant's son. The contrast between the simple life of the impoverished peasant (whose illustrations are black and white) and the over the top lifestyle of the czar (illustrated in brilliant colour) captured my imagination, and when I was a slightly older child, taught important lessons too.

I Like This Poem: A Collection of Best-loved Poems Chosen by Children for Other Children in Aid of the International Year of the Child (Puffin Books)
by Kaye Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood favourite, 5 Aug. 2007
A wonderful anthology which serves as a great introduction to the world of poetry.

I too received this poem as a present when I was about 6, and it has been a firm favourite ever since. I read my original copy so much that it fell apart by the time I was in my teens, and now my replacement copy is in tatters from being read each night to my little daughter, who adores it just as much as I did.

Though graded by age, from 6-7 year-olds, up to 14-year-olds, I started reading this to my little girl when she was just a baby, at first picking out just the cute, short, funny verse, then gradually introducing longer and more sophisticated poems.

This volume includes classic poems by Shakespeare, WH Auden, Robert Louis Stevenson, Lewis Carroll, Walter De La Mere, Tolkein, Robert Frost, A.A.Milne and many, many more. It does a great job of mixing the funny, serious, ridicuous and achingly beautiful.