Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for TomKenward > Reviews

Content by TomKenward

TomKenward (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Embodiment Journal - Volume 1: Somatics and Embodiment for Health, Leadership and Life
by Francis Briers

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful, gritty and courageous offering, 25 Mar. 2015
Congratulations to Francis and all the contributors for getting this off the ground. It's great to see this coherent, heartfelt and thoughtful effort to bring together some of the many disciplines of embodiment work under one umbrella. I enjoyed reading the stories, the methods and the models in these rich articles, seeing both the difference and commonality amongst all these powerful and important contributions to the field of embodiment. The insightful, gritty, courageous writing of the contributors gives me a very strong sense of some of the many truths I see in what this work is, why it is and how it is. Thanks again for what you have put out into the world!

Pause for Breath: Bringing the Practices of Mindfulness and Dialogue to Leadership Conversations
by Amanda Ridings

5.0 out of 5 stars This develops my own thoughts and practice in bringing together the power of embodiment and dialogue work - I'm so glad you are, 10 Mar. 2015
A real goldmine of both fresh thinking and pulling together a vast array of relevant methods and ideas from other thinkers, practitioners and leaders. This develops my own thoughts and practice in bringing together the power of embodiment and dialogue work - I'm so glad you are some way down this path already Amanda - thank you for your wisdom! Tom Kenward

Embodied Leadership: The Somatic Approach to Developing Your Leadership
Embodied Leadership: The Somatic Approach to Developing Your Leadership
by Pete Hamill

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with fresh energy, deep insight and practial guidance, 10 Mar. 2015
Pete's contribution to the field through this book is just as I experience him in the flesh - fresh, sharp, full of energy for this work and eminently useful! Pete's careful, balanced study of assumptions about 'standard' ways of thinking about leadership and leadership development lay a solid foundation upon which to then set out some powerful and still relatively unknown different perspectives on leadership and how to develop leaders. Some of these ideas and methods challenge previous perspectives to their core, in my view, and I find this both refreshing and useful. The second half of the book grounds these ideas in very clear, real examples, leaving me both with a very clear impression of how and why somatic work actually works and the energy to delve even deeper into this powerful discipline. Thank you Pete.

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
by Patrick M. Lencioni

5.0 out of 5 stars No better model on teams, 28 Oct. 2013
I find myself returning to Lencioni's teams model regularly - it's a simple and, I find, highly practical model that takes no time to introduce and is then very easy to work with in groups of varying sizes to help them move quickly towards signficant insights about their own team dynamics.

Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
by Patrick Lencioni

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, insightful and useful, 28 Oct. 2013
As with all Lencioni's books, I've found this a simple and highly accessible path into what I find to be one of the most common issues in work today. It's given me a handy reference for people I coach or consult to and some easy, memorable ways of thinking about the underlying causes and some neat ways to begin to address them.

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy
by Harvard Business Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Good range of thinking, albeit all in the traditional stable, 28 Oct. 2013
A good range of stuff from some of the key thinkers, in fairly brief form.
It does however stay mainly in the more traditional territory of planned, rational strategising models. You may want to go elsewhere if you want some stronger challenge and critique of this worldview, but it's all good stuff..

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not silicone - leaves things smelling and tasting of plastic, 28 Oct. 2013
I bought these for freezing food for small children. These do not appear to be silicone - silicone is odourless and inert and does not migrate into foods. As soon as i opened the packaging there was a waft of very strong plastic smells. After thoroughly washing them I then froze some water in them - the ice cubes tasted of plastic. If I'd spent more I'd seek a refund.

Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead With Emotional Intelligence
Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead With Emotional Intelligence
by Daniel Goleman

4.0 out of 5 stars A deeper look at EQ, 23 Oct. 2011
If you've come across Goleman's work on emotional intelligence (EQ) and want a deeper understanding of how it might be applied in the professional setting and to leadership in particular, then this book is worth a look. It offers an analysis of how the EQ disciplines relate to Goleman's six identified leadership styles (coercive, authoritative, affiliative, democratic, coaching and pacesetter). Following on from that, there is a thorough treatment of how to go about actually developing your leadership skills in relation to the EQ framework. If anything there was more detail than i needed on the 'how', but better to have it than not - i will go back to it.

Living Leadership: A Practical Guide for Ordinary Heroes (Financial Times Series)
by George Binney

5.0 out of 5 stars True to its title, 8 July 2011
I was hoping for a lot from this after a friend referred me to its down-to-earth insights about what leadership is on a day to day basis. I've not been disappointed.

The book has a clear well worked through structure and it's regular use of concrete, gritty examples greatly helps to bring what are already practical ideas and principles to life even more.

For me, this book is powerful and useful because it is grounded in real coalface research, working alongside leaders in consulting contexts, but rather than offering off-the-shelf abstract models, they pay attention to context, individual character and the needs arising in the situation.

If you're bored of reading cogent books on leadership that are packed full of what seem like great insights, only to find you can never translate them to your context in practical ways, you may just find this is a bit different.

Strategy without Design: The Silent Efficacy of Indirect Action
Strategy without Design: The Silent Efficacy of Indirect Action
by Robert C. H. Chia

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoughtful challenge to our stuck thinking, 17 April 2011
Having been trawling for material that challenges our dominant discourse on management and leadership, particularly around strategy making and delivery, I found this book stimulating. With examples and reasoning, it pulls apart our assumption that our present day strategising moves us any closer to our intended goals. It argues instead that such deliberate strategies can undo our strategic intentions and that we may find more successful paths by relying on no intended strategy. There are examples of deliberate strategy having gone wrong in various realms and in contrast, amongst others, an account of Google's 'wayfinding' approach; the latter being the authors' preferred outlook. This oversimplifies their argument but this is the crux I think.

For me it could go further in two areas.

Firstly, in challenging the dominant management paradigm, any efficacy in our conscious intentional activity is ditched. The authors seem so set on decimating the western, empirical, positivist outlook (don't get me wrong, i too struggle with it), that they dismiss the value of tacit knowledge and our human abilities to envision futures. Don't these and other capacities suggest that good strategising could be a hybrid of conscious intentional activity, combined with and contained by a more humble, organic mindset that embraces the motto of 'know as we go' more than 'know before we go'? Instead this book swings to another extreme.

Secondly, I had been hoping for more of a practical insight into how I might begin to act differently in response to their challenge. Their critique resonates with my professional frustrations of the abstract irrelevances of strategy, but knowing how to respond in a skillful way is the hard part and the authors give little on this, suggesting that strategy without design, by its very nature, can only be sought through mysterious means. They introduce teasingly subtle and clever interpretations on practices such as metis, but don't quite ground this in action. Perhaps this is just my lack of imagination!

Overall this book has moved my thinking on, even if not quite into my action.

Page: 1 | 2