Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 114

SBno1
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oxford Dictionary of English with Audio
Oxford Dictionary of English with Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dictionary, but cheaper less polished free ones are around, 26 Feb. 2015
Works on a Samsung Galaxy S5 without issue. It is a heavy app, so you may need a phone with a bit of speed and power.

This is ideal to have a complete dictionary in your pocket, but you will need to be connected to the Internet for certain features to work. Alternatively you can download the additional data (I think it was around 100MB).

The spoken work is handy if you are unsure of a pronunciation. I rarely use it unless I am struggling for a word and so far it has found the ones I am looking for. A nicely polished app.

I didn't pay for mine as I had a freebie voucher. I wouldn't shell out the current asking price of £8 - it is good value for money, but I just think there are cheaper dictionaries around if you are just looking for the odd word here and there - or the Internet!

Remington D3010 Hair Dryer - 2000 W
Remington D3010 Hair Dryer - 2000 W

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 26 Feb. 2015
This does exactly what is expected of it and what I want it to do and that is dry my hair relatively quickly without burning my scalp.

The build quality is reasonable good. The switch slides easily into the desired positions. It is comfortable to hold and not overly heavy. For £12 I wasn't expecting much, but it turns out to be better than others I have paid twice as much for. In terms of value for money, this hits the nail on the head.

Igenix IG3001 2 Slice Toaster in White with Six Position Variable Control, 750 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for smaller square loaves, not so good for larger slices, 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The negatives: Well I don't think I can say there are any really, but that depends on the dimensions of what you are putting into the slot. If you have a slice of bread that exceeds 4.5 inches then you are going to have to do a mid way flip, which is OK, but can lead to uneven browning. The slot itself will take a wedge of bread or crumpet up to an inch thick. There are clamps in place so that any thinner slices are kept flat and straight.

There are the usual browning controls, defrost, re-heat and safety pop up if the power fails. A easy to remove crumb tray keeps the bottom debris free. The whole unit is well constructed and has a good quality feel to it. The limitation of bread size can be a bit of a nuisance if you like to buy big loaves, but it is a cheap and cheerful toaster that does a good job.

I think that this would be ideal for a caravan where you don't want to take up a lot of workspace or don't want to leave an expensive item behind when the caravan is not in use. My one has been donated to some students sharing a house (another ideal candidate for this toaster). They are really pleased with it (though less fussy about toast than I am) and they are more than happy that it perfectly toasts what they want - which from what I have seen is limited to pop-tarts! They have given it quite a bashing and it's still happily toasting away.

4 stars because of the bread limitation, otherwise I would easily give it 5

Russell Hobbs 20581 Smartglide Pro Steam Generator Iron - 2800 Watt
Russell Hobbs 20581 Smartglide Pro Steam Generator Iron - 2800 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic machine, but there is an ongoing hidden cost, 21 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let me get 2 things out of the way in terms of the description and images currently being advertised on the Amazon page for this iron.
The details say that it comes with a measuring jug - mine didn't, but you really don't need one.
The pictures give the impression of steam coming out of the whole of the sole plate. This is misleading as the steam holes are only in the nose of the sole plate. These are minor errors and have not influenced my review.

So far I have been using a Morphy Richards Steam Generator 42223 and I am using this as the benchmark for any irons that I evaluate. So far none have beaten this, but is this Russell Hobbs 20581 is a contender?

The physical unit:
The Russell Hobs (RH) wins the point here. The RH is a little less bulky than the Morphy Richards (MR) and therefore also weighs a little less. Weight isn't a major issue, but I do find that the heavier MR upsets the balance of my ironing board and makes it less stable. Whilst the RH is lighter, you will still need to be careful with the balance of the board. Both irons are comfortable to hold and both sit firmly on their base units. The MR sits on its heel better than the RH, but from a safety point of view, you shouldn't do this as neither are particularly stable on padded boards. On that note, you will need an ironing board that is compatible with steam generator irons (they tend to have large wide plates where the base sits).

Filling and de-scaling:
The point winner here is MR. Both Irons are a piece of cake to fill up, just pull out the water tank (even when the iron is hot), fill it under a tap and away you go. The RH has a smaller tank, but it isn't a bad thing as it reduces weight and is so quick and easy to fill. On the MR the de-scaling had to be done on a regular basis by removing a plug in the base, rinsing the plug which catches the scale and swilling out the base. No major drama, but a bit of a pain when I have to do it every 2 weeks. The RH has an anti-scale cartridge built into the water tank which needs to be replaced when it loses its effectiveness. How long this lasts depends on your use and hardness of water but it could be between 2-6 weeks (you still need to de-scale the boiler tank every 1000 minutes whereupon the indicator lights up). At this time I can't find a cartridge to say how much these are to replace, but I think you are looking at around £5-£10. So you are either looking at washing your machine out every few weeks or having to purchase replacement cartridges - see my bottom line below.

Steam ironing:
Both are winners here. The RH has a higher wattage, but both irons warm up and are ready to use in similar times. Whilst the RH only has steam vents in the nose it still does a remarkable job of punching through creases. Both have 3 steam settings and both cope with stubborn creases very well. When doing bed sheets that have been folded over, both can easily penetrate the steam through 4 layers, but will need a quick finishing off on the flip side. Having used both to do ironing marathons, I can't make up my mind which is better or faster.
When I first started using steam generators it annoyed me that you had to keep pulling the trigger to release the steam. The RH is the same, but it does have a thumb switch to lock the steam on. However, having gotten used to the trigger concept, I found that I preferred this manual control over the steam than the permanent on option. That being said, it is there as an option should you wish to use it.
Both irons pump out a lot of steam, so you will need a well ventilated room or risk mould and mildew growth on the colder walls where the steam condenses.

General Observations:
Again, neither iron really beats the other here. All Steam Generators I have used have been noisy. They periodically grind away to fill up the boiler tank and the steam blasts are louder than conventional steam irons - upsetting my TV viewing! As the RH has a slightly higher steam pressure going through less holes than the MR I found the steam venting to be slightly louder. If you have never had a steam generator iron, you will need to have some additional storage space as these are not little things. With a conventional iron they were ideal if you just want to quickly iron 1 garment, it's a little more bother with a steam generator. Also with children you need to put the iron up out of the way - easy with a small steam iron, not so easy with a steam generator iron.

Bottom Line:
So which one do I prefer? Well this is an easy 5 star product and it is as good as my MR iron. The only thing I don't like about the RH iron is that I need to keep replacing the anti-scale cartridge. If I you are living in a hard water are then in one year this could cost you more than the price of a new iron. It might be cheaper letting the iron scale up and then buy a new one. It for this and this alone that I am giving it 4 stars and saying that at this time, I will stick with my Morphy Richards 42223 iron for now. If the descaling was just a matter of tank rinsing as it is with MR, then I would just be favouring the Russell Hobbs

LEPOWER® Bright LED Wireless Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light,Outdoor Solar Energy Welcome Light[2nd Generation]
Offered by Prodigy3

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent improvement over the 1st generation light., 17 Feb. 2015
Length:: 0:46 Mins

I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this is identical to the retail item.

Ref Video: Note that Amazon drop the quality of video to reduce file size storage. The video is a bit dark, but there is a lot more light to see by than the camera really shows.

Having tried and been suitably impressed with the first generation of this light I didn't think there was much more that could be done to improve it. I was wrong!

The light is in a slightly smaller housing, but packs a bigger punch. Firstly this is even easier to put up than the predecessor. Simply put the light up to the surface where you intend to mount it and mark the single drill hole (fittings supplied). I was fortunate enough that this was being mounted on a wooden panel, so I had it up and running in less time than it took me to find a screwdriver. To activate the light there is a small pin (supplied) that is pushed gently through a small hole and this fires it up. There is some film scratch protectors over the light and solar panel that need to be removed.

You will need to have the solar panel facing a southerly direction (if in the northern hemisphere), that way you catch the sun for most of the day. OK admittedly in the UK we don't get many sunny days, but be optimistic. This will keep the internal batteries charged up and ready to go. There is a low level light that stays lit and when the sensor is triggered a light boost comes into play whereby the 8 LEDs reach full brightness. This is a much brighter light that the first generation lamp. You must keep this away from strong lights as they may trick the light into thinking it is daytime. The same goes if you have a few of these lights, you will need to space them out a bit. The sensor has a good range and easily picked me up at around 2 car lengths on a direct line and the advertised arc of 120 degrees is about right.

This isn't something you can use to floodlight your garden and it isn't designed to be. What it will do is light up those dingy corners and steps where there is an absence of any light and you really don't want to be messing around with mains powered lights. I have this mounted behind my garage where I have a few slabs for my wheelie bins. At night there is plenty of light given off to see where I am going and what I am doing. Just perfect. It has quite happily shrugged off the rain and I have no doubt that like the one before, it will stand up to the rigors of the UK weather.

I recommended the first generation light, I am recommending this one even more.

Kirkland Jelly Belly Bean Bulk Jar 1.8kg 45 flavours Sweets
Kirkland Jelly Belly Bean Bulk Jar 1.8kg 45 flavours Sweets
Offered by PremiumBrands-4-Less

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, 17 Feb. 2015
These are the real deal. I was a bit concerned at first that these might be seconds or some cheap knock off, so I contacted Jelly Belly UK. They responded to tell me that Kirkland buy the beans in bulk in the USA and then ship them out internationally (I'll copy the email in the comments field).

The Jar I had was marked 49 flavours - not that I am counting. I haven't had these for about 6 years and It is only when I started eating that I am reminded that how much better they are than "The Jelly Bean Factory". With the JBF beans I can detect the bolder ones like coconut and apple, but many just taste sweet and fruity with no discernible flavours. With Jelly Belly each bean has a distinct and full flavour and you will just want to savour each one rather than shove a handful in your mouth. I actually don't mind the cinnamon ones with JB, but detest the JBF cinnamon.

I am not sure about natural flavours and colourings, but I do note that these may not be suitable for those with a nut allergy, there is also a warning that there may be traces of milk, eggs, soy-beans and wheat. So those with certain dietary requirements may need to avoid these.

A 40g serving is shown as 37g of Carbohydrates of which 28g are sugar, so you do need to limit your intake. I need to buy a dispenser for these to limit how many I eat in one sitting otherwise I really will end up with a Jelly Belly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 8:32 PM GMT

Advanced Task Killer Free
Advanced Task Killer Free

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so good on Samsung S5, better on other droid devices., 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Advanced Task Killer Free (App)
Not sure if this is fully functioning on a Samsung Galaxy S5. I have had this app before on a different device and there was more functionality than what I am getting. All it does is list running tasks with an option to kill them. The problem with my android is that 2 minutes later the task fires back u again. I am pretty sure there should be an option to keep killing certain tasks as they appear. I am only getting one screen.

It's OK on the S5, but there are better apps available. If you can get the full functionality out of this, it is a good app. I am not going to mark it down because my phone doesn't run it properly because I know from past experience it is a good app

Victorinox Access Screwdriver.
Victorinox Access Screwdriver.
Offered by Knives Master

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't look to be genuine, but good enough, 13 Feb. 2015
I bought mine from the supplier " UK Outdoor Store ". As there are several suppliers on this page I can't say that every one of these will be the same.

I have 3 Victorinox knives, but one was shipped without a screwdriver in the corkscrew, so I thought I would get one to complete it. I am not so sure that the one I bought was a genuine Victorinox screw driver as advertised. The one sent has flattened sides and doesn't have the "pat" marking that my other 2 screwdrivers have. My others also have softer spiral edging than this one.

That being said, it was cheap enough and it looks and feels sturdy. It fits perfectly into the cork screw so I am happy enough with it. Other suppliers may provide a genuine product or worse, I think you will be taking a bit of a gamble depending who you buy it off.

Bellissi Murano Venezia Large Genuine Murano Red Glass Heart Pendant with Brown Glass Swirl with Sterling Silver Chain of Length 46cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gift idea, 10 Feb. 2015
A lovely necklace that I bought to go with the necklace from the same maker Red Glass Heart Drop Earrings

It is a perfect match and the person I bought them for was really pleased with it.

It is well made, with parts strongly fixed. The glass swirl really sets off the heart stone. I didn't think this was too big, but that may depend on the wearer and clothing. There is a Small Red Glass Heart Pendant. I am glad I got the bigger stone as you can easily see it is a heart shape. The smaller one looks a little more rounded.

Bellissi Murano Venezia Small Genuine Murano Red Glass Heart Drop Earrings
Bellissi Murano Venezia Small Genuine Murano Red Glass Heart Drop Earrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gift idea, 10 Feb. 2015
A lovely pair of earrings that I bought to go with the necklace from the same maker: Red Glass Heart Pendant

They were a perfect match and the person I bought them for was really pleased with them.

They are well made, with parts strongly fixed. The glass swirl really sets off the heart stone. They are a decent size too - not too small, not too big.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20