Profile for Proudmomofagayson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Real Deal
Real Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS The Real Deal!!!!!!!!!, 14 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Real Deal (Audio CD)
This album came out in the mid-90's and by then I thought I had heard everything I could regarding the Blues but boy was I wrong? This CD is the closest you will get to being in a smoky, Chicago blues club. John's guitar work is as authentic as you can get and when he plays slide guitar, it is strongly reminiscent of the late great Muddy Waters, which when you think of it is a perfectly natural thing to say when you consider that John was actually a member of MW's backing band in the latter years!
Then we come to the excellent band themselves and first mention must go to the bass player Johnny B. Gayden who you may recall from Albert Collins' band. His work here is minus the funk from that band but full of grit and honesty. Then we have the harmonica work of Billy Branch which is as good as anything I have heard until now. His playing is lyrical, generous but never overshadows the proceedings. The piano player is none other than David Maxwell who worked in the 70's with Freddie King. He solos on a couple of tracks and shows himself to be at the top of his game where solid two-handed playing is concerned. Then we have the drummer Earl Howell who lays down some great beats and fills, you really will love this guy. To finish we have Jake Dawson on second guitar and he provides a good solid backing to John while he steps forward and solos. On top of all of that, legendary producer Mike Vernon is on hand to round out the sound.
This is a MUST HAVE Blues album!!!!!!!!

Rush - In Rio [DVD] [2008]
Rush - In Rio [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Rush
Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Very poor audio but great through headphones...., 1 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Rush - In Rio [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
If the audio mix had been better, this would definitely have been a 5 star DVD. I bought it knowing that there had been mixed reviews about the sound and what a disappointment it was when I finally got to play it - I couldn't hear the singing at all and the guitar parts seemed to just disappear into the mix. The presentation of the concert was breathtaking and I especially loved the dragon with beating wings at the Tracklist page, so I was expecting a lot better than what I got. Still, I persevered and used headphones and this really helped, 5.1 stereo through headphones is the best way to hear this amazing concert but still I shouldn't have to listen to a state-of-the-art DVD concert through 'phones, I should be able to just put it on and enjoy it. Criticisms aside, this is a masterful concert by 3 of the most talented and underrated musicians, who more than show the world what they can give. Neil Peart's drum solo is unbelievably brilliant. Alex Lifeson is an incendiary guitarist with technical prowess to match any guitarist I have seen to date and Geddy Lee's bass playing is stupendous as always and even more so, when he admits on the documentary disc, that he is having trouble with his "angry b*stard" finger that he normally plays with. All in all, this is a wonderful reminder of just how great Rush are, I only wish I could play it for family and friends when they come round. Shame.

AKA Grafitti Man
AKA Grafitti Man
Offered by Disco100

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this album!!!!!!, 18 Jun. 2004
This review is from: AKA Grafitti Man (Audio CD)
I am not going to give a list of reasons why to buy this album, other than just to say I have over 1000 albums in my collection and this is the one that means the most to me. It is lyrical, beautifully performed, affecting, spiritual, thought-provoking and a plaintive cry towards the excesses and disturbances of the world as we know it today. He emotively talk-sings his way through and the musical accompaniment is first-rate and highly evocative. This is an album that will awaken your senses and bring you back to your emotional centre. I love it and if you let it in to work its magic, I believe you will too. Wonderful!

The Living Proof
The Living Proof

5.0 out of 5 stars A first-class live album!!!!!, 18 Jun. 2004
This review is from: The Living Proof (Audio CD)
Having first seen and heard Wishbone Ash from a live 1989 concert at Bristol Colston Hall on ITV late one night, I was instantly hooked and especially loved the interplay between lead guitarists Ted Turner and Andy Powell. I subsequently bought a live video with Laurie Wisefield from the Marquee in '83 and although it was excellent, there was something about the other two that struck me and so we come to this live album.
What can I say? Well, buy it for one. It really is excellent, there is not one weak track on it and the solo that Andy pulls out on Throw Down The Sword has to be heard to be believed, not since the guitar solo on Comfortably Numb on the Pink Floyd Pulse release, have I heard a guitar played so beautifully ... it really is THAT good. The catchiest track is Why Don't We and shows Ted in fine vocal and musical form with a brilliant solo towards the end and another storming one by Andy midway through. the chemistry between all band members is first-rate, Andy Pyle moonlighting here from the Gary Moore blues band and Ray Weston laying down some solid drumming, which allows the two guitarists to showcase their respective talents.
If you like honest-to-goodness, feelgood melodic rock with strong songwriting and exceptional musicianship than Living Proof - Live in Chicago is definitely for you and the twin lead guitar approach is novel and always imaginative. You can actually hear where early Iron Maiden got some of their sounds from in several of the tracks. Wishbone Ash show here that even in 1992 (some 20 odd years after they began) that they can still pack a punch. Buy this album and enjoy, it really is a corker but be prepared to jump around playing wild air guitar on Blowing Free, where Ted and Andy exchange some great fretwork and although Ted is more economical whereas Andy burns away, you see how they compliment each other brilliantly.

Outside Looking In
Outside Looking In
Offered by Disco100

5.0 out of 5 stars This is stinging, sliding, incendiary BLUES!!!!!!!, 24 May 2004
This review is from: Outside Looking In (Audio CD)
I have never heard anyone play like Dave Hole. His music makes me laugh with sheer joy, makes me cry from the overwrought emotion contained within it. I have healed to the music of Dave Hole, I feel better for listening to it. I am inspired by it and it has added to my life positively. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Dave Hole is a string-sliding genius!!!!!!
This album contains some of the most incendiary, stinging slide guitar you will EVER hear!!!!! It's a blistering and awe-inspiring gift to the senses. The album's opener Jenny Lee is just about the most powerful song of its type I have ever heard, the solos he pulls out are jaw-droppingly fine. All of the songs are of the highest quality but a special mention must go to the track Out Of My Reach which has an absolute peach of a guitar solo that reaches in and tugs at your heart strings, it really is beautifully worked and reminds me a little of the solo on Planet Cannonball by Sonny Landreth.
IF YOU LIKE RED-HOT, SEARING BLUES A LA WALTER TROUT & JOHNNY WINTER, THEN BUY THIS ALBUM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

Falling Into Infinity
Falling Into Infinity
Offered by RAREWAVES

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good melodic prog-rock album, 19 May 2004
This review is from: Falling Into Infinity (Audio CD)
This is not your usual DT album and I think, is all the better for it. DT are an awesome band but sometimes I feel the infinite time changes actually serve to detract from the music and this album, delivers a very warm and real slice of melodic albeit slightly watered-down prog rock. There seem to be more signs of DT's influences on this album than any previous or subsequent release and I can actually hear stuff like While My Guitar Gently Weeps in one of the solos as well as touches of Pink Floyd and even Queen in some of the extended instrumental sections.
The songs also seem to have more of an emotional resonance within them, especially tracks like Anna Lee and Take Away My Pain, the latter having one of the strongest hooks of any DT song I have heard until now. I love this album. It may not be to everyone's tastes and it's not as advanced sonically as Awake for instance but it's an uplifting and dare I say it, spiritually informed piece and it's been in my CD player for quite a while now. Check it out!

Jesus The Man: New Interpretation from the Dead Sea Scrolls
Jesus The Man: New Interpretation from the Dead Sea Scrolls
by B. E. Thiering

5.0 out of 5 stars A myth-busting book. Essential for Freethinkers!, 27 April 2004
The only people who seemed to have taken offence at this exceptional bookare Christians, whose very belief is wrapped up in the myth of theResurrection. Therefore anything that might point to Jesus not dying onthe Cross but instead living out his life, must be debunked at all costs,which is a shame.
This is a brave depiction of the life and times of Jesus and I feel isessential reading for anyone who has an iota of freethought, especially asirrational thoughts and beliefs have reached an all time high.
Free your minds of the superstitious mumbo-jumbo of your upbringing andinstead appreciate this volume for what it is, an honest and movingdocument of a remarkable man and the religious and political machine thattwisted his life and death into something a lot more sinister.

Dream Harder
Dream Harder

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuff the critics - I love this album!!!!!!, 30 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Dream Harder (Audio CD)
What can I say about this album? Well, I LOVE IT for starters. There is not a duff track on it and I echo the previous sentiments about this release being criminally underappreciated. Right from the off, the upbeat The New Life, we have an album of superbly crafted New Age pop-rock songs. There is a very deep sense of an underlying spirituality, a place where Paganism and Christianity not only meet but happily co-exist. The lyrics themselves offer up glimpses of magical places and faraway lands. The guitar playing of Mr Scott is exemplary, being both electrifying and steeped in feeling. His vocals (though nasal in places) do the material justice. I can't imagine anyone else performing these numbers. The pomp and ceremony of The Return of Jimi Hendrix has to be heard to be believed, Jim Keltner's drumming launches itself into the stratosphere with Mike's guitar doodlings weaving in, around and through the proceedings perfectly. This is a great album. This is a magical album. This is Mike Scott at his creative best IMO. Buy it.

Liquid Skin
Liquid Skin
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the real mccoy!!!!!!, 28 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Liquid Skin (Audio CD)
Having been quite scathing of UK bands and particularly of the 'music of today' I came to this album with some reservation and trepidation but boy was I wrong? These guys are the real deal, the real mccoy. Embrace are often talked about in almost hushed reverential tones as the purveyors of Britpop and I can see why. This is not Britpop. This is Southern-fried, gently flowing, ambient Blues a la early-Little Feat. That is no exaggeration. I can actually hear Lowell George in this chap's vocal delivery. Blimey, this is England for bodsakes!!! What's going on? Can music be this good? Yes it can. At no point do I feel they are robbing from this great music, they are adding to it and enhancing it.
Imagine it's the late-60's and California's bands had somehow sheared off and gone in a slightly different direction, gaining hindsight of what was to follow and then creating their own way of doing things, you would be close to what Gomez are doing with Liquid Skin. I love this album. It's dreamy, wonderfully presented, faithful to the influences but forward-thinking enough that people in 30 years will look back with fondness at what they are doing. Forget the rip-off that Paul Weller is and listen to this band. A classic!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2012 2:58 PM BST

Kind Of Blue
Kind Of Blue
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars You're no heretic frank_fan, just missing the point somewhat, 25 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Kind Of Blue (Audio CD)
There are swathes of jazz listeners who only seem to rank a piece of work if it has a kazillion notes, all played frenetically and showing extraordinary technique yet wouldn't know a beautiful album if it hit them in the face, frank_fan is obviously one of these. Not an heretic, just a tad misguided I feel.
I was chatting with a friend recently and he is of the opinion that if someone plays very little or is economical with the amount of notes being played, that they are wasting their musical talent. I have one word to say to that:- Bullsh*t. Sometimes, it pays to strip back the playing to define the overall sound, Kind of Blue being one of those occasions. The playing is sublime, each musician contributing a little conversation and the others only chipping in when they have something to say.
This is arguably the most popular jazz album in the world EVER and it's not hard to see why. It has everything. The arrangements allow each player to breathe, to reflect on what's being said. There is no clutter, no wasted notes. It's as if something great is at work here, as if each musician is a channel for the music to flow through. It's a moving, gently evolving document that thankfully has been preserved for all time.
Whether you like jazz or hate it, give Kind of Blue a listen. You will either warm to it or be left cold but it's an album that has to be heard at least once, after all greatness only comes along occasionally. Catch this slow train to musical Heaven. Wonderful. Classy. Unsurpassed. This is Kind of Blue.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5