Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Learn more Fitbit Learn more
Profile for SLW > Reviews

Content by SLW

SLW

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Crenova 12MP 1080P HD Infrared Game&Trail Camera 42 Pcs IR LEDs 120°Wide Angle Night Vision 2.4" LCD Display Waterproof Hunting Scouting Camera Digital Surveillance Camera
Offered by Crenova Official

4.0 out of 5 stars Failed Unit to be Replaced, Though It's Well Out of Warranty..., 5 July 2017
Sixteen months it lasted, and only very light usage at that. I expected better. I wouldn't recommend buying one of these; fine to start with, then occasional problems became permanent ones, and now it goes in the bin.

STOP PRESS! Crenova have been in touch and say they are sending a replacement. I didn't expect that, and I am impressed. I shall be watching for the postman...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2017 3:03 PM BST

EasyCover Silicone Armour Skin for Canon Digital SLR EOS 1DX MKII Cameras - Black Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than I Expected, 14 Jan. 2017
This is a great product. I assumed it would be pretty good, but it was even better than I expected.

Last week I fell over with my Canon 1DX Mk II, and gave myself, and the camera, some quite hard knocks. I repair myself automatically :-), the camera doesn't :-(. Fortunately they're pretty tough cameras, and the damage was mostly cosmetic, though the hot shoe was slightly bent - easily straightened though. I wish I'd had this skin at the time! It was that event that prompted me to buy it.

Fitting it isn't too bad. I found it best to remove the strap completely. And any lens of course - put the plastic cover over the mounting ring to avoid any possibility of damaging the camera's internal parts. The camera goes up into the shell from the bottom, and you carefully work the shell down over the camera. It's a snug fit, which is just what you want.

Most controls are exposed, as is the battery. Those that aren't exposed have buttons molded into the skin. As long as you know where they are you should have few problems.

A couple of transparent screen protectors come with it.

Instructions and the screen protectors are cunningly hidden in the packaging.

A great product. If you've spent that much on the camera, you'd be crazy not to buy one.

Filter Removal Wrench - Remover For 67mm - 77mm Filters
Filter Removal Wrench - Remover For 67mm - 77mm Filters

5.0 out of 5 stars Corking Bit of Kit!, 17 April 2015
I have a 70mm Polaroid polarizing filter for my Canon 24-105mm STM lens, and when I attached it to the lens it went on easily. It wouldn't come off, though, until I took a stillson wrench to it (I know, sledgehammer to crack a walnut). I thought perhaps I'd cross threaded it, so, VERY CAREFULLY, I screwed it back on and... it stuck. Out with the stillson again.
I bought these simple plastic devices, and, not without some trepidation, and having made sure the stillson wasn't far away, I screwed the filter back on. True to form, it stuck.
I used one of these chaps to unscrew it, no problems at all!
So for me they did everything I could want them to do. I won't be going out without one ever again...

SUN-SNIPER SNIPER-STRAP THE PRO-II Strap with Steel Bearing Screw and Wire - Black Single unit

2.0 out of 5 stars BE VERY CAREFUL, 17 Jun. 2014
I bought one of these, and I took great care to check that it was rated to take the weight of my camera and lens. 5kg is what it's supposed to take - my kit comes out at 4.7kg.
That was last July. Less than a year later the wire loop that fits into the ball bearing section came off as I was out walking. Had I fully trusted the strap, several thousand pounds worth of equipment would have hit the ground hard.
Fortunately (and no thanks to this manufacturer) I had a back-up, with a short strap and carabiner.
I contacted the supplier and after much too-and-froing they said that the manufacturer insisted that the whole thing be returned before anything could be done. It's the unit that screws into the camera that needs replacing, and to return the whole lot would be most inconvenient. All I wanted was a replacemnt part. Now, I've decided to cut my losses.
So, quite a lot of money for an item that lasted less than a year.
If you buy one of these, then either use it for equipment you can afford to lose, or back up the strap like I did.

The  Wonderful and Surprising History of Sweeney Todd: The Life and Times of an Urban Legend
The Wonderful and Surprising History of Sweeney Todd: The Life and Times of an Urban Legend
by Robert L Mack

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather Disappointed, 13 Jun. 2014
Robert Mack has clearly spent a lot of time on this, for which he is to be applauded.

I have to say though that I believe he goes to far in looking for significance in the events and characters in the tale of Sweeney Todd. For example, "Thornhill's name itself suggests the gratuitously imposed pain and martyrdom ('thorn') and altered eminence ('hill') of this sacrificial victim's particularly commercial and pedestrian Calvary..."

I scarcely think that the original author nor the readership of what was a serial in a popular magazine thought along these lines; to them, this was a sensational tale of gorey and horrible crime, without any deeper significance.

There is quite a lot of this sort of thing, which makes this quite a difficult book to read. Sorting the facts from Mr Mack's views isn't always easy.

Sorry to have to say this, because I really wanted to like this book. I don't, though.

Opteka GH1 Pro Heavy Duty Gimbal Head (Supports up to 13.6 kg)
Opteka GH1 Pro Heavy Duty Gimbal Head (Supports up to 13.6 kg)
Offered by 47th Street Photo

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, 13 May 2014
I bought this to replace a Calumet gimbal head, which cost twice as much and is a good deal heavier. It lasted less than two years, which was disappointing.
So far, I'm very happy with this new one. I use a 500mm F4 lens on a Canon 5D MkIII, often with a 1.4x extender, which is quite a heavy combination. As long as this head continues to take the weight, I'm quite happy with it. The difference in weight between the two is enough to be significant when you're walking any distance.
So, fingers crossed. I'm very hopeful though.

Play Time!: A Simon's Cat Book
Play Time!: A Simon's Cat Book
by Simon Tofield

2.0 out of 5 stars Repeat, 17 Nov. 2013
Some of the cartoons in this - and at least one of other Simon's Cat books - are recycled from other books. If it weren't for the fact that there are some new ones, I'd rate it even lower. I don't know why publishers do this; it's not fair on readers. It leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. (Actually I DO know why they do it - it's greed. I emailed the Simon's Cat website about it, but they ignored me).

Spikes Delicious Dry, 2.5 Kg
Spikes Delicious Dry, 2.5 Kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Hedgehogs are NOT ALONE, 17 Nov. 2013
...in liking this dried food. My cat likes it too. I put out a trail camera to check. The hedgehogs got half the food, the cat the other half. A Dunnock cleared up any scraps. I have to wonder whether or not dried cat food might be just as good. But there; the hedgehogs enjoyed it, the cat enjoyed it, and I enjoyed watching the clips from the trail camera. Everyone's happy.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 - Flame Red Gloss
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 - Flame Red Gloss

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy Cheap Mice!, 6 Nov. 2013
Buy one of these instead. I've bought cheap ones - Daffodil spring to mind - that were awful. This one is really super. Best Mouse I've ever had.

Blithe Spirit [DVD]
Blithe Spirit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joyce Carey

5.0 out of 5 stars As Long as You Can Suspend Logical Thought..., 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Blithe Spirit [DVD] (DVD)
...then this is a great film. It's a product of its time, and has a good deal of charm. I didn't expect to like it; but I did, a great deal. I'm looking forward to forgetting enough of it to watch it again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3