Profile for Wim Durang > Reviews

Content by Wim Durang

Wim Durang "openminded listener, poet" (Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2
Close Enough for Love
Close Enough for Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning sublime simplicity!, 27 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Close Enough for Love (Audio CD)
Shirley Horn is such a classy artist (I refuse to talk in the past, I know she's deceased in 2005, but artists like her never really die)!

In a way it is the most relaxed, and, on the other hand, the most intense romantic/sensuous vocal jazz there is to hear. Her piano playing accompanies her distinctive singing style in a way that became legendary.

The first song I heard from her, which instantly made me a lifelong fan, was: ONCE I LOVED, one of many Jobim standards. She seems to embody the song.

In my opinion, Shirley Horn made an amazing lot of definite versions of great jazz standards, especially ballads. At least three of them I find on this album, (which is why I will always cherish this album just a bit more than her many other magnifiscent albums), the standouts :

2. I Got Lost In His Arms

8. Once I Loved

9. But Beautiful

In her ballads, Shirley Horn stops the time and the world - especially in "BUT BEAUTIFUL".

"Get Out Of Town" is a very nice example of her swinging talent, and another excellent choice of song material.

Shirley Horn sings right into the heart. She makes each song her own :the signature of the greatest.

I needed to own this album in my CD collection, like billionaires need a real Picasso at their wall. Yet I feel richer, whenever I listen to "my" Shirley Horn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Singing as an art; making magic with songs, 27 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Voadeira (Audio CD)
Brilliant!!! Monica Salmaso is an incredible singer, very beautiful voice, excellent timing. She really gives (known) songs a (new) meaning, a (new) life, a (new) breath!

I had the priviledge and pleasure to hear her singing live and it was magical, I have all her albums now. I am happy that she appeared very kind and modest too.

This is music of first-class level!

Certainly not all this music is easy in the beginning, but it grows on you and before you know it, you are addicted.

Salmaso's version of Chico Buarque's "Valsinha" is de-li-cious, "Canto Em Qualquer Canto" is utterly beautiful and her "Ave Maria No Morro" is indeed haunting!

I can never get enough of this true artist, thank you so much, obrigada, Monica!

Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars I can never get enough!, 18 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Voadeira (Audio CD)
Brilliant!!! Monica Salmaso is an incredible singer, very beautiful voice, excellent timing, marvellous technique. She really gives (known) songs a (new) meaning, a (new) life, a (new) breath!

Salmaso was chosen in a national contest in Brazil as the best singer among 1200 contestants!

This music is maybe not always easy in the beginning, but it grows on you and before you know it, you are addicted. Salmaso's version of Buarque's "Valsinha" is delicious, "Canto Em Qualquer Canto" is utterly beautiful and her "Ave Maria No Morro" is indeed haunting! I can never get enough, thank you so much, obrigada, Monica!

Tiempo De Amar
Tiempo De Amar

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful latin love songs sublimely sung with sensitive subtlety, 18 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Tiempo De Amar (Audio CD)
As a trained flamenco singer, Mayte Martín has an amazing vocal technique AND she knows all about passion. Add her sensitivity and love for beautiful love songs, and you have a perfect singer for this album of latin-american boleros.

In fact, she did this already some years earlier, a piece of art, accompanied only by the legendary piano of Tete Montoliu. I guess the qualities of that album "Free boleros" won her a lot of respect. Therefor, on this album, none less than the Grand Lady of the Cuban Buena Vista Social Club, Omara Portuondo, sings TWO duets with her!

Still quite simple instrumentated, with a latin-jazzy class, Mayte Martin's voice gets all space on this collection.
Beautiful beautiful timeless melodies, delicately sung with love.

I have really just TOO many favourites on this album to name just a few. Though "Hecha A La Medida" will always have a personal preference as an ultimate love declaration.
Special mentioning deserve the delightful interpretations of Armando Manzanero's (rather pop) songs "Te extraño" (I miss you) and "Me vuelves loco" (You drive me crazy).

The title says it all : it's time for love!

Abbey Is Blue
Abbey Is Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars You truly hear and feel this Lady's love for the songs!, 8 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Abbey Is Blue (Audio CD)
Abbey Lincoln is one of the great jazz legends. Unfortunately, there are too many of those... So not all received the same fame as Ella, Billie and Sarah. Since I discovered her, Abbey Lincoln keeps impressing me, and quickly found a place of honour in my music collection. She is one of a kind and an intelligent and creative artist, going more experimental later on in her career. It sure is no coincidence that she worked with so many great musicians!

I liked to read somewhere that she is rather an "actress with a song" than a singer, with her intense, emotive interpretations. As far as I'm concerned, Abbey even beats her hero Billie Holiday a few times (check also Abbey's 1957 album "That's Him", with "Don't Explain" and "My man").

Indeed, "Abbey is blue" (from 1959) is a great and essential recording.

Apparently, Abbey Lincoln was the first to record a sung version of the standard "Afro-Blue", a great opener here.

The aching "Let up" reminds me strongly of Nina Simone (which whom she has the political character of her work in common), yet... it was written by Abbey Lincoln herself!

But there's more than a few haunting songs on this album (what's in a name?)! "Lost In The Stars" (divine), "Brother, Where Are You?", "Laugh, Clown, Laugh", ... it sounds all fantastic!!

I wonder how many singers could make the very simply arranged "Lonely house" so captivating!

High quality blue atmosphere !

Napoli Secondo Estratto
Napoli Secondo Estratto
Offered by THE MUSIC SELLER

5.0 out of 5 stars Napolitan standards sublimely embodied by Italy's living legend, 24 July 2006
This review is from: Napoli Secondo Estratto (Audio CD)
Mina's second tribute to the wonderful Napolitan musical treasure is truly a masterpiece. THE singer of Italy adds a modern and jazzy class to these famous beautiful songs.

Everybody knows "'O Sole Mio", but NOT like this! Mina lifts this popular song up into the perfect jazz ballad for dancing lovers!
Track 2 has a wonderful groove. Track 5 introduces and combines a children's choir and rocky electric guitars.

"I' te vurria vasa'!" is absolutely breathtaking, and shows definitely a mature and sublime singer.

Most of this music is highly passionate.

I played this album in the background of an art exhibition, because of the great ATMOSPHERE it has. It suited well (and made people curious!), simply cos art fits art!

I couldn't agree more with another Amazon user: "Mina sings with her heart bleeding through her voice"!

Useful WARNING: Who is only used to mainstream pop music, will find this boring! But if you give this album more than one listening, you'll fall in love with it...

N.B.: If you can find the Napoli Box, please take that! Besides the also amazing Napoli 1, it includes 2 delicious bonus songs: Reginella and Malatia!

L'allieva
L'allieva

5.0 out of 5 stars Tribute to Sinatra, but I forgot all about him, listening to this!, 24 July 2006
This review is from: L'allieva (Audio CD)
Mina ripes like a first class wine! True, she has her own way of pronouncing English sometimes, but how would Sinatra have sounded in French? This is simply a brilliant album. What a voice, what a PERSONALITY this woman has!!
And a wonderful team of jazz musicians supporting her! Piano, drums, and bass are the 3 main instruments, and, boy, that's all it takes to swing!

Attention: "Pop" fans of Mina might be un-pleasantly surprised. This is jazz, practically live, where the personal interpretation (including a certain raw naturalism) of a song and of the moment matters more than chrystal clear Streisand-ish singing! (Mina has enough proven that she can do that too).

I so love Mina's timing/phrasing. When she starts with "These Foolish Things", I'm lost already. Then her version of "The nearness Of You" shows us the most intense Mina as we ever heard. "One For My Baby", etc. : delicious, playful, classy, track after track!

Sure, as every good jazz album, it needs more than one listening. And then you grow addicted to every single song (though the last 3, orchestrated bonus songs took the longest to me). This Grand Lady truly makes every song into her own: try Angel eyes, Dindi, Blue Moon (long intro that surprised me at first, but I adore it now), etc.!

The (very Mina) way of "live" recording makes us sitting there in the studio and witnessing the sheer musicmaking pleasure as if it is happening right now. (Check the *rare* video). Grazie, Mina!

"Strangers In The Night" is pure fun! And why the hell not?

When I hear Mina's heartfelt "My Way" for the 100th time, I STILL feel emotion welling up in my chest. AND I totally forgot who Frank Sinatra was! Or no: Sinatra was the guy who tried to get Mina out of Italy to give her Class the bigger stage she still deserves.

Modestly, the title "L'allieva" means: "The pupil", but Mina is for many a teacher, a mentor, an example of her own now!

The Source
The Source

5.0 out of 5 stars Art is a work of passion. This is unique and timeless art., 19 July 2006
This review is from: The Source (Audio CD)
It is very rare: an album that contains ONLY verrrry good songs! This is certainly a deserted island must. At least for those who are touched by Jimmy Scott's voice and how he uses it masterfully as an instrument of art. This is the master of jazz ballad singing, or call it torch song if you want, but no-bo-dy interprets them like Jimmy does! The key word is INTENSITY.

Countless great artists adore him, respect him, (just check his official website), yet he seems to remain a cult figure.

Often on the edge of exaggeration, Jimmy Scott does remain credible with his passionate and powerful high singing. His exceptional (slow) phrasing accentuates each word, each syllable, each note. This man doesn't sing a song, he lives it (he does know what it is to be a "motherless child"). Pure artistry is this respect, or even better: LOVE, for rythm, melody and lyrics.

The choice of songs is superb. Too many favourites to name any, although "On Broadway" stands apart as different in tone, yet delicious too. In fact, this album is really too special a collection of masterpieces to listen to in one time; one should only listen to one song a day!

I'm not sure if this is the best album to get to know Jimmy Scott, but it is surely his most intense album, the top of his work. Keep in mind that, back in 1969, it was the first album this man could finally do all as he wanted, without any commercial rules or restrictions.

Timeless art. Breaks your heart. Feeds your soul.

The final note leaves you breathless and emotionally exhausted as if Jimmy used your own energy too... Try it!

**For those who like it a bit more sweet and smooth, I recommend his other masterpiece, the hauntingly romantic "Falling in love is wonderful" (1962), arranged with beautiful strings, where Jimmy Scott renders a new quality to jazz crooning. Ray Charles was there and bowed his head in respect.

Canciones Di Mi Padre [Australian Import]
Canciones Di Mi Padre [Australian Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars this album makes the sun shine and makes me feel alive!, 19 May 2004
A typically mexican joy of life bring these songs in your house, summer instantly arrives when you put on this record! Linda Ronstadt has such a clear and impressively powerful and passionate voice, her voice control is astonishing. The songs are very good, they touch and cheer you up.
"Por un amor", "Tu Solo Tu", "Y Andale", "Los Laureles" and so many other songs are so wonderful and intense! The duet "El Sol Que Tú Eres" is another very beautiful song.
Remarkable album in every way : many people who first hear it at my place, of all ages, immediately love it! Personally, i never ever get tired of it.

Page: 1 | 2