Profile for Faye (A Daydreamer's Thoughts) > Reviews

Content by Faye (A Daydre...

Faye (A Daydreamer's Thoughts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Gender Games: The Problem With Men and Women, From Someone Who Has Been Both
by Juno Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars The world needs more books like this!, 8 Jun. 2017
I’ve been waiting to read this book ever since I first heard about it and I’m really pleased to report that it has lived up to its expectations. Juno Dawson has a real knack for writing non-fiction books and this has come to its head with The Gender Games. I’m not usually the biggest fan of non-fiction titles – but I’m trying to come around to the idea of them, slowly but surely – as I often find them boring and pointless. This is definitely not the case with Gender Games. Right from the very beginning this book had me hooked and intrigued.

One of the things that I absolutely loved about this book is that within the first few pages it really made me think. Not just about the world and how we all think about gender but also about myself and how I feel about myself. It was enlightening and I am just so thrilled that I have managed to take something away from this book that may change my entire attitude to myself.

This book is written in a very easy way. It’s all about Juno’s life but interspersed with references and very intellectual discussions which breaks up what I would coin – the difficult and boring parts of non-fiction – which is what I love about this book. It’s not a memoir or really an autobiography but it also is. It’s just a very entertaining, informative and society-breaking book that I would very much love for lots of people to read.

In my opinion, the world needs more books like this. Books that make those of us who are a little bit different feel more included but also further understood. If it allows the rest of the population to have empathy with us, to open their minds and stop thinking so rigidly then I definitely think it’s worth it. And I personally believe that The Gender Games is a book that has the power to do all of those things. In this day and age, it is time to stop focusing on the “normal” and to start celebrating the different.

The Breakdown: The 2017 gripping thriller from the bestselling author of Behind Closed Doors
by B A Paris

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastically Gripping Thriller, 3 May 2017
After reading and falling head over heels in love with B. A. Paris’ first book, Behind Closed Doors (Review Here), I had high expectations for The Breakdown. However there was also a little bit of trepidation too – what if this book was a let down? Fortunately I needed not to have worried. I flicked through The Breakdown quickly because I was addicted and simply had to know what was actually going on. Needless to say this book is one of the best books that I read last year.

One of the absolutely brilliant things about this book is the narrative. The main character is forgetting things but they’re also not in the narrative which leads you to a unreliable narrator as you try to piece together everything that is going on. The plot is incredible clever and well-written and I was quite literally blown away with it. I thought the ending was absolutely fantastic as well. B. A. Paris has written yet another strong and intense book that is sure to become very popular.

I’m not going to lie, I really liked Cass. I was worried about her and for her and wanted to make everything okay for her. She was a strong but fragile character and I could feel her conflicting emotions so well. B. A. Paris has created some very strong and powerful characters in this novel and they’re all very interesting to read about. I am actually a little in awe of how well she creates such believable characters that you feel so much empathy for.

Aside from yelling: READ THIS BOOK, I’m hoping this review dictates how wonderful and brilliant this book is. It’s a rollarcoaster of a read as you feel your way through the storyline and try to work out what is happening and how it will all end. It is addictive, fast paced, and very intense too. If you loved Behind Closed Doors or are just a thriller fan, definitely make sure that you do not miss out on this next stunning book by B. A. Paris!

City of Good Death (The Elisenda Domènech Investigations Book 1)
City of Good Death (The Elisenda Domènech Investigations Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting Read, 3 May 2017
I don’t often read books set abroad, especially not crime procedurals but I will definitely be rectifying that after finishing this book! City of Good Death is a compelling, mystery book that had me racing to reach the end to find out who the murderer was. Not only that, the location of Catalan plays a large role in the book and I absolutely loved learning more about the location and all of its myths and legends. This book was a very unique and gripping read.

What really won me over with this book was the way that the plot occurred. There were twists and turns that caused so many theories to appear in my brain but ultimately none of them were correct! I found it fascinating how Chris Lloyd has created a novel that is so very clever and still entertaining too. I am very much looking forward to reading more of his work for similar narrative style.

It took a short while for me to get all of the characters differentiated in my head but this is more to do with the vast number and the foreign names as opposed to being badly presented by Chris Lloyd. However, once I had them all filed away, I found them all really fascinating to read about. I specifically found Elisenda to be an intriguing protagonist for the book and loved how many pressures she was under and yet still managed to be kick ass and amazing at her job.

All in all, this was a very entertaining and interesting book to read. It kept me guessing throughout and I really came to love all of the main characters and cannot wait to read more about them in the next two books! This book is compelling, intense and mysterious. It is a book that many crime lovers will absolutely love as it holds a very interesting case between it’s pages. I would definitely recommend this book and I am also really looking forward to reading the next one!

The Everything Machine
The Everything Machine
by Ally Kennen

4.0 out of 5 stars A very fun read, 3 May 2017
This review is from: The Everything Machine (Paperback)
Upon hearing about this book I knew that it was one that I thought would be really interesting! In this world of technology, it is always great to see books arriving that are up to date with it all. I also thought it would be a rather fun read to see what was going to happen! Fortunately I fell into this story easily and really loved every word of it. It was interesting, entertaining and fascinating. A really clever and well-written novel that children will surely love!

There was something so fun and interesting about the plot of this book. I loved how it all came together and that everything they made or wished for came with consequences. Some very peculiar that they never would have seen coming. It helped to make the book more entertaining and I can definitely see children finding it very funny indeed.

The three main characters in this book, Olly, Stevie and Bird were really great. They were each very unique and fun to read about. I especially liked Bird who was a science nut. I loved that she was portrayed in a positive way as well – a nice little nod to the fact that a) science is cool and b) girls can be scientists too! I loved how the family unit meshed so well too. Ally Kennen has created a wonderful cast for this book.

All in all, I very much liked this book. It was easy to read, contained a very fun and interesting story that was full of action and intrigue. On top of that it was addictive and I found it difficult to put the book down until I knew how it was all going to end. And not going to lie, I quite liked the ending too! I would definitely recommend this book and think many children would adore it!

Dare to Remember: New Psychological Crime Drama.
Dare to Remember: New Psychological Crime Drama.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Intriguing Read, 3 May 2017
Sometimes you pick up a book and after reading only a few pages, you know that this book is going to be a worthy read. This is what happened to me when I picked up Dare To Remember. The words pulled me in from the first few pages and I do not regret choosing to read this book. It was compelling, intense and so well-written. I loved how brutally honest it was and how wonderfully it depicted PTSD. A truly magnificent book that I would highly recommend.

What worked exceptionally well in this book was how it all flowed together so well. The main character doesn’t remember what happened and thus the reader is pulled along just waiting to see. In the meantime you grow to love the main protagonist and would do anything to protect them. I love that this story wasn’t just about finding out what happened, there was so much more to it than that. But mostly I absolutely loved how this book didn’t shy away from the real horrors of PTSD. It never once romanticized this mental health illness and I loved that about this book.

As mentioned above, I quickly grew to love the main protagonist. This was her story as she learnt to live with her life after something so traumatic happened to her. It wasn’t easy and even by the end of the book she wasn’t back to “normal” because she never would be but she was coping so much better and that was wonderful to read. I loved all of the side characters so much but I have to admit I had a real soft spot for John. He was such a wonderful addition to the story.

Overall this book was wonderful. It held a full cast of interesting and unique characters who all play a part in Lisa’s journey but also all have their own journeys to get through as well. On top of that this book was easy to read, addictive and filled me with many emotions. I felt for Lisa so much and just prayed that things would finally make sense for her. The ending was shocking and heart-breaking but also just worked so well. The story ends full of hope for the future and really brings the book full circle. Honestly, you should make sure you read this book!

The Mercury Travel Club: Getting your life back on track has never been more funny!
by Helen Bridgett

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book That Will Make You Want to Travel, 3 May 2017
Sometimes you pick up a book and you realise that it is going to be a good one. I had that feeling when I opened the first page of The Mercury Travel Club. I was instantly swept away by the writing and the characters on the page and before I even really knew what had happened, I had read a third of the book. And then a half… and then two thirds and then I was, very sadly indeed, finishing the last page in the book. This book is one of those amazing feel-good, pick me up kind of reads that fills you with a scent of hope and happiness as you finish the last sentence. It is a book that made me laugh out loud and a book that had me reading passages out loud too. It also got me teary-eyed and sad. It was wonderful.

I no longer know what initially drew me to this book but I am so grateful that I decided to give it a go because I very much enjoyed reading it. From the outset, I was certain that it wasn’t going to be a “me” book. I loved the main protagonist and all of the characters in her life too. You’re thrown into her life as it all turns upside down and the story follows her as she re-builds it. And what a way to re-build it! I have always loved character-driven books and this does it by the shedload! This book had every single main character in the book go on a journey – literally and figuratively – as it progressed and I really, really loved that about the book. It made me feel so close and protective of everyone – just as I always want to feel. I love the way that Helen Bridgett made her characters rise from the ashes – so to speak.

All of the characters were vibrant and marvellous, all of them playing a very vital part in the story – both in their own journeys and for the main protagonist too. My favourite character by far was Angie. I loved how much she overcame during the book and how independent she became. This is a book that truly celebrates not just life after love but also women being independent and making a life of their own and being successful while they do it! Angie was such a strong, witty and self-sufficient character and I just loved her so much and was incredibly happy with the outcome of her journey. Second character that has to get a mention is Charlie. He was just such a loveable and wonderful character. He brought so much to the story and I very much enjoyed reading about his own journey. Lastly, but certainly not least, we have the hidden star – Patty. She was a magnificent character who brought so much entertainment to the book and the lives of the characters as well. I thought she was a brilliant addition to the book!

This is a book that I have already recommended to my mother because I know she will love it. I am also going to be pushing into the hands of a few other people that I know too. It is just a wonderful, fun and lovely read that kept me hooked from the first page to the last. It all starts off with a book club – which is amazing, right? – and the book literally takes you across the world as you read about a travel agent overcoming the pain and loss of a divorce. All of it written with a lovely hint of humour that will keep you smiling and hopefully laughing every now and again too. It is a divine read that I really think you do not want to miss!

Dead Embers (DCI Michael Lambert crime series Book 3)
Dead Embers (DCI Michael Lambert crime series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Addictive Read, 3 May 2017
I’ve been struggling to keep on top of my reading for a while because of illness and being busy at work, etc, but when it came to picking up Dead Embers, all of that fell away. I read this at every spare moment I had because it was incredibly addictive. There are not enough words to really describe how deep I fell into the world of this book. It instantly took me out of the real world and into book world just with a few words. Everything was described so well and there was so much going on at all times that it was just such an easy, wonderful read – everything that you want in a crime thriller book!

What really kept my interest in this novel was the plot, or I should say the case. I was riveted. This is the kind of case that I can imagine being a huge hit as a TV series, and the case itself could probably have occurred across three or four episodes too. It was intense and well-thought out with lots of different things all coming together to form a whole. The best part about it all was that I really had no idea how it was all going to end up. There was no way to guess as it was only slightly hinted at in different parts of the text. I found this to be such a captivating narrative style!

I am not shy about shouting out about books with strong characters as I love reading them. Unfortunately this is one of the places where I feel the book falls a little short. I really liked DCI Michael Lambert but there were also parts of his lifestyle that were hinted at but not really explored and it made it harder to get a full grip on who he is as a character. I feel that some of this may have been explained in the previous two books and as such I will be making sure I read them but it felt like there was little to no character development in the book which was a shame but certainly didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the case! I would definitely read another book with DCI Michael Lambert and would be interested to see what happens next for him.

Overall this book was a very gripping, addictive and captivating read from start to finish. The case was very interesting, disturbing and intriguing all at once. There was so much going on and it was so difficult to know who to trust which I thought was really good. I also liked how one case was all wrapped up but I felt there were still some ties left loose by the end of the book so I’d be very interested in reading further books to see where it goes! I would recommend this book to any reader who loves crime books, especially those that twist and turn as you go along until your left just waiting for the mystery to be solved.

The Jungle
The Jungle
by Pooja Puri

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Powerful Read, 3 May 2017
This review is from: The Jungle (Paperback)
There is a lot going on in the world today. Yesterday something awful happened in London. Every day awful things happen in third world countries and this is what this book really gets you thinking about. Set in the migrant camp in Calais it allows you to take a step out of modern world comforts and into the thoughts of those who suffer and seek asylum every single day. Often in the media, refugees and migrants are not looked upon as humans who just want a better life than the one they had, they’re portrayed as vermin who are trying to steal our jobs and homes. This book is powerful in portraying just how human refugees and migrants are.

Pooja Puri has picked a very sensitive topic to write about but in my opinion has written a book that really works and automatically pulls at your heart and emotions. This book is different to other YA books out there as it doesn’t follow a traditional plotline but it also doesn’t need to. This is a book about hope. It is a book about desperation and despair. A book about friendship and family and a book about dealing with life the best way you can. And Pooja has managed to do this incredibly well.

There was a vast array of characters in this book and it really shows the differences between people and how we can all come together, no matter our backgrounds. Our main protagonist is Mico who goes on a very interesting journey in the book. I found him to be a unique character to read about. My favourite character though is Leila. She is fierce and strong but also weak and vulnerable. She has been through a lot and goes through a lot but still has a fiery passion underneath. A marvellous character to read about.

All in all this book is powerful and unique. I would definitely be interested in reading more books like it. It’s a relevant topic and a book that can make people more empathetic towards refugees and migrants. This book gives them a story and it makes them real and human. It reminds us that they are not bad people, they are just people trying to live a better life. This book is one that I would highly recommend. It is a book that will really make you think.

The Witchfinder's  Sister
The Witchfinder's Sister
by Beth Underdown

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Read, 3 May 2017
Generally speaking I am one of those readers that loves a variety of genres but I have always struggled with historical fiction. And thus you may be wondering why I then decided to review this book. The answer is quite simple. The book just sounded so very interesting and I had to see what it was all about. I am very glad that I took that leap of faith with this book because I ended up really enjoying the book. There were a few parts that I struggled with due to my distaste of historical fiction but fortunately this did not ruin my overall opinion of the book.

What initially drew me to this book was the storyline being about witches and the witch trials that happened in the 1600s. It is one of those odd periods of history that I actually find quite fascinating. Horrible and disheartening to realise women were treated so awfully but it is also a nice reminder of just how far we have come. Thus I am pleased to report that the plot of this book was compelling and addictive. I found myself turning the pages as quickly as I could just to find out how it was all going to end. And what an ending! Very, very clever.

There was a vast array of characters in the novel, some of whom I felt for, some of whom I vehemently detested. Beth Underdown did a fantastic job of creating realistic characters throughout the novel, and did a marvellous job of describing them all as well. By far my favourite character was Grace. Although only a side character, she was so sweet and lovely, hardworking and also shy. I wanted everything to go okay for her in the end. She is definitely a character that I would love to read more about. Alice is also a fascinating character to read about and she had a very distinctive and interesting voice.

While this book is not one that I would ordinarily pick up, it was one that I found myself enthralled by. It was an emotional, heart-breaking and fascinating book to read that I would recommend to others easily. There were some fictional historical texts interspersed which I struggled with and some other moments within the narrative that I found hard to understand but fortunately this did not ruin my enjoyment of the book. So if you’re looking to read an entertaining and intriguing book about the witch hunting that happened in the 1600s, you should definitely give this book a read.

Shadow Magic
Shadow Magic
by Joshua Khan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fantasy With Everything, 3 May 2017
This review is from: Shadow Magic (Paperback)
I’ve mentioned this plenty of times before but one of the things I love about books is being able to fully absorb myself in them and this is exactly what happened with Shadow Magic. There was something magical (*cough*badpun*cough*) about the way the narrative of this story pulled me in. Within only a few chapters I was truly immersed in the story and was thinking about it even when I wasn’t reading it. Thus I managed to read it quickly as I kept itching to return to it so that I could read more and dive back into this fascinating novel.

Joshua Khan has created a strong and well-balanced plot that keeps you guessing and flicking the pages too. This book is a fantasy novel wrapped in an adventure wrapped around crime and mystery. It’s perfect. It has comedy, heart-warming emotions, friendship, family, and love. It has ghosts and ghouls, darkness, magic and light. It literally has a little bit of everything and it all works together brilliantly. I was truly enraptured with the plot and absolutely loved how it all came together in the end. Utterly marvelous.

As with most fantasy novels, this book held a vast array of characters. Some villains, some noble royals, some feisty squires and one kick-ass princess too. I feel that Khan has done a good job of creating a realistic and vibrant set of characters that you can’t help but feel emotional for. My favourite character was Lily and I am really looking forward to reading more about her in the next series. I also liked Thorn as well, a very interesting character to say the least! But really, the best character in this book is Hades. And that is all I am going to say about that – you will have to read the book to find out why!

It has been a long time since I have read a fantasy novel that has been absorbed quickly by me. I was thrown into this story and fell instantaneously for the world and the characters that inhabit it too. This is a book that has a little bit of everything, which in turn is what makes it that much more entertaining to read about. It is a book that will take you on an adventure, make you feel tense and alert, will cause tears to leak from your eyes and also make you literally laugh out loud. What more could you possibly want?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20