Profile for Natasha W > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Centurion Maori Tackle Shield - Blue, Junior
Centurion Maori Tackle Shield - Blue, Junior

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any rugby mad kid..., 28 July 2016
Brilliant! I have 4 rugby crazy boys and they all love playing with this in the garden... not only is it fun but I think their rugby has improved as well!

Nina is Not OK
Nina is Not OK
by Shappi Khorsandi

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy subject handled in sensitive, gripping way..., 28 July 2016
This review is from: Nina is Not OK (Hardcover)
I had no idea the author, Shappi Khorsandi, was already well known as a comedian before I read this - in fact it would have put me off as the combination of such a hard hitting topic and comedy do not seem like a good match.

However, Khorsandi has tackled an incredibly emotive subject in a very sensitive way whilst still having hints of humour which help the reader through what could have been a dark read. Nina is a 17 year old girl who likes to drink... a bit too much.. after increasingly frequent black outs Nina has to piece together what has happened. Its difficult to say more without spoilers so in summary this is a incredibly real, heartbreaking look at what can happen when things go to far. I loved this book and lost sleep as was unable to put it down.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review :-)

All Is Not Forgotten
All Is Not Forgotten
by Wendy Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book ruined by terrile narrator, 24 July 2016
This review is from: All Is Not Forgotten (Hardcover)
I wanted to give this book 5 stars - the idea is unique, the characters well developed and the story is well paced. However, I just cant get past how much I detested the narrator... such a horrible, selfish, self absorbed person... for me they dragged the story down.

Its a shame as this book has so much going for it - Jenny is violently raped and in the immediate aftermath of the attack her parents agree to a treatment which means Jenny forgets the attack. There follows the impact of such a horrific attack... both on the victim, family and community. The question is is it really better to forget?

The Chrysalis
The Chrysalis

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read..., 7 July 2016
This review is from: The Chrysalis (Kindle Edition)
An unusual read - a clever combination of murder mystery, one womens journey to face her past and one mans journey to face his future.

Beautifully developed characters and a very sensitive portrayal of a subject I wasnt previously unfamilar with... gender identity.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in return for a honest review.

Dear Amy
Dear Amy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight psycological thriller..., 16 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Dear Amy (Kindle Edition)
This is a short psycological thriller if you are looking for an easy read.

Margot Lewis, teacher and part time newspaper agony aunt, starts to receive letters apparantly written by a young girl who has been missing for years.... around the same time as a girl goes missing from Margots school.

I found this an interesting concept with a plot which moved along quick enough to keep the pages turning. I was mildly surprised by the 'twist' at the end of the book and the strands that had been woven throughout the book came together in a satisfying ending.

I like Margot throughout the book and it was interesting to follow as her life, and her mind, broke apart.

I will be looking for more books by Helen Callaghan in future.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in return for an honest review :-)

The Fireman
The Fireman
by Joe Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual 'end of the world' tale..., 13 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Fireman (Hardcover)
This is the first Joe Hill book I have read.... and it will not be the last.... I loved it!

This is a real page-turner and the cause of a couple of very tired days as I found it hard to stop reading into the early hours!

Non stop action with a storyline which all though seemingly pure fiction actually, when you think about diseases like Ebola and the real threat of use of biological weapons, is an uncomfortable read.

This is not your classic 'end of the world' book and I liked the fact that actually becoming a 'victim' may actually be the only way to survive...

There are a lot of characters in this book but Hill manages to craft each one expertly so that each connects with the reader - whether as hero or villan.... or in most cases somewhere in-between as each charcter faces their own conflicts in this horror new world.

No spoilers but the ending did feel quite 'abrupt'... Im assuming that there will be a sequel coming soon...

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest review :-)

The Many Selves of Katherine North
The Many Selves of Katherine North
by Emma Geen

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read..., 2 Jun. 2016
I received this as an ARC and initially didnt start to read it as I thought it was about people becoming animals... for me talking animals belong only in kids cartoons! I am so glad I did change my mind and read it as this is an unforgettable book!

The story focuses on Kit a 19 year old phenomenaut whose job is to have her consiousness 'jumped' into specialy printed animals in order to study and research certain traits to be used for commerical, scientific etc purposed.

No spoilers so in summary the story follows Kit as she fleses/fights against the company she works for interspaced with flashback to how Kit found herself in her current situation. Is the company against her? Have her friends betrayed her? Not everything is as it seems...

This is a remarkable book with a unique concept - the author interweaves a a tale of suspense, science fiction, love, psychology amongst fascinating adventures into the animal kingdom as Kit 'becomes' the creature she has jumped in to.

The author adds a disclaimer at the end that she is not a zoologist BUT wow... her use of language and description really does make the reader feel that they are in the mind of the animal along with Kit.

I found Kit mildly annoying but Im not sure if this was deliberate - Kit has grown up through her teenage years in a schizophrenic clinical v nature environment and so it would be natural that her development as a grown up may be stalled at sulky, self absorbed teenager.

I would highly reccommend this book and will be reading more from this author in future.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC :-)

The Candidates: Based on a True Country
The Candidates: Based on a True Country

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever concept lost..., 10 May 2016
This is a tongue in cheek look at the world of politics following two presidential candidates who will stop at nothing to win.

Think of any politically correct concept, minority group or vaguely contensious issue and the author covers it along with a heavy dose of sex and drugs.

The story is fast paced with a few genuinely funny moments but it is too far fetched and frankly ridiculous to be a good read.

This is actually an interesting concept and much of what is written is a clever exaggeration of the political world and the publics very opposing views to key topics.

However the whole book just feels strained as if the author is trying to hard for the concept to work properly.

I received an ARC from Net Galley in return for an honest review

Resurgence (Silver Blackthorn Trilogy Book 3)
Resurgence (Silver Blackthorn Trilogy Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great end to the trilogy..., 9 May 2016
This is a great end to the Silver Blackthorn trilogy - fast paced with plenty of action... I couldnt put this down until the end!

I think to get the most out of this book you should read the first 2 books before jumping into this one as the story really does jump straight in and, even though I have read the first books, it took me a little while to remember who was who and where I was in the story.

The reason why I only gave the book 4 stars is that I feel there is a quite a gap between how the author sees the main character, Silver, and how I feel she comes across to the reader. I never really warned to Silver and throughout the 3 books I struggled at times to see why she became the leader for so many people. However at the end of this book we get a glimpse of Silver through the eyes of another character... and wow is it different to how it come across to the reader and suddenly her attraction makes much more sense! The Silver that is seen by the other characters in the book is someone who can lead and who people want to follow.... however sadly this doesnt come across so well to the reader.

Still a good read and well worth investing your time to read through the trilogy!

The Little French Guesthouse: The perfect feel good summer read (La Cour des Roses Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely romantic romp..., 29 April 2016
I am actually an English expat living in France and so have read dozens of the 'moving to France - French adventure' style books. So to be honest I thought it would be the same old story.

However, I was pleasently surprised at just how much I enjoyed this book!

Emma visits France on holiday with her boyfriend but soon finds herself emmersed into the life of the La Cour des Roses after being betrayed by her boyfriend.

To be honest there were quite a few bits which were a bit predictable and followed the good old tried and tested love story format. So as you meet each character for the first time you kind of immediately know how their personal story will end.

Despite this Helen Pollard manages to keep the reader hooked will well rounded developed characters who are easy to 'care' about.

Its an easy read and moves at a quick enough pace.

Although I would be surprised if Helen Pollard had ever actually lived in France as some of the book reads more like a 'rose tinted' advert rather than the reality. I mean seriously who learns to speak French that quickly?!

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book :-

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10