Profile for w.d.howie@btinternet.com > Reviews

H is for Hawk
H is for Hawk
by Helen Macdonald

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful book, 12 Jun. 2015
This review is from: H is for Hawk (Hardcover)
How on earth did this book win awards? Its unbelievable in its self indulgence . Also have to seriously question her writing/training and treatment of the Goshawk as I'm sure any true Goshawk owner would. Must admit to feeling like giving her a good slap. I can only assume that the people that gave this book an award haven't a clue about what constitutes a good book. Really poorly written it wanders and rambles to an thro like a drunk on a night out. Without doubt the worst book I have read in years.

Merek's Ascendance
Merek's Ascendance

1.0 out of 5 stars You could be forgiven for thinking this book was written for young children as the plot is poor. The grammar in the book is terr, 24 Aug. 2014
I bought this because it had 5 stars but forgot to look to see how many reviews - only one. Ok now for my review. You could be forgiven for thinking this book was written for young children as the plot is poor. The grammar in the book is terrible and it looks like its never been proof read.Won't be in a rush to buy this authors works in a hurry.

Savage: A Zombie Apocalypse Novel
Savage: A Zombie Apocalypse Novel

1.0 out of 5 stars it reads like something a 14 year old would have written, 12 July 2014
Not sure why anyone would give this book five stars, it reads like something a 14 year old would have written. I don't mind zombies books as long as they are well written but this looks like it was written in about an hour. Too many anomalies to list.

Bad Luck in Berlin: An Exclusive Short Story (Victor the Assassin)
Bad Luck in Berlin: An Exclusive Short Story (Victor the Assassin)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but could do better, 31 Jan. 2013
This is the first book I have read by Tom Woods and I have rated it at 3 stars. Although I like the idea of Victor I felt the book had been padded out with unnecessarily long descriptions of what was happening and more importantly of why it was happening.I found this at times bordering on boring and was tempted to skip paragraphs. I almost felt myself screaming " Just come to the point". The general plot of the story was ok however Victor did things which no true professional would have done and I found myself shaking my head at some f the things he did.
I assume this book has been written as a teaser to get you to buy one of Woods full size books and with this in mind I think he could have done a better job.
Having said that, I think I might just buy another book just to give him a second chance :~)

One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country
One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country

2.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, 16 Jan. 2013
Got this pretty cheap for the Kindle and was glad I didn't pay a lot for it. Pretty amateur writing and I did find myself skipping parts of the book which were pretty boring. The writer struck me as one of slightly eccentric Englishmen with money to burn and didn't come across as much of a real biker. Would have preferred a bit more info on the actual planning and the fuel economy and motorcycle side of things. Also the descriptions of distances covered and actual geography of the trip.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 2:35 PM GMT

The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel
The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel
by Brandon Sanderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 5 Dec. 2012
Having read the other Mistborn novels I was really looking forward to this book. However I got to page 200 and gave up on it - I'm not even sure what it was that I didn't like, but it seems as if the book has been written over the space of one weekend and no real time has been spent developing the characters or plot. It reads like a book for a 12 year old. My advice to Brandon would be "write one book at a time and don't let yourself be sidetracked on to other projects" . It always saddens me to see a good author just churn out a book whether it be for financial reasons or because of pressure from a publisher.

Natural Causes (The Inspector McLean Mysteries Book 1)
Natural Causes (The Inspector McLean Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 2 Sept. 2012
I took this book mainly because its set in Scotland and I though it would be along the lines of Stuart McBride and Ian Banks books. I enjoyed the book for the most part - although I wasn't so keen on the demons idea. I think Oswald would have been better off sticking to traditional stuff. Having said that will still buy the next book in the series as I think his books will get better as they go on.

Bisley Snooker Spinner Target Set Shooting Air Rifles
Bisley Snooker Spinner Target Set Shooting Air Rifles
Offered by Solware Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Bisley Snooker Target Review, 29 Jan. 2012
I bought this item just after Xmas and have been out a few times with it. It is well made and should last well. It comes part assembled and you have to put it together oursel - easily done 5 minute job although you will have to remove a c clip at one point - I would advise you do this in a hallway or somewhere reasonably enclosed as the c clip can shoot away from you when released.The frame at the top of the target holds a 17cm sqare card target which is really handy for zeroing - I usually put a piece of cardboard in behind the target to make it bit more solid.
My only problem is with the spinners I would have like to see them spaced a bit further apart. Also with them being snooker colours you will have to buy 7 different colours of paint - or just paint the lot the same colour, which I think is the route I will take.It comes with a large spike on the end to put in the ground and this works very well even when the ground is frozen solid.
All in all I'm pleased with it and think it was worth the money £40.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Snooker Target, 19 Nov. 2011
Excellent bit of kit for practice and plinking. Well made. Good fun to compete against friends to see who can get the highest break in a certain ammount of shots.
Quite challenging as the smallest (black disc) is pretty small.
Only bad side is that you need to buy paint in each colour to touch up the discs.
This item is advertised on Amazon and some other places for about £70 - do not pay this, do a web search and you should be able to pick one up for around £40

Sakura XTY187 Non Slip Boot Mat
Sakura XTY187 Non Slip Boot Mat
Offered by cai distribution

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 8 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Sakura XTY187 Non Slip Boot Mat
Good quality boot mat easily trimmed with a pair of scissors. I fitted this using double sided adhesive tape.Well worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2