Profile for Hugh Shields > Reviews

Content by Hugh Shields

Page: 1 | 2
Get Lucky Now!: The 7 secrets of lucky people
Get Lucky Now!: The 7 secrets of lucky people

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and uplifting book which is a joy to read - the message is beautiful., 21 May 2017
I have been a great admirer of Steve Simpson since I first came across him in 2011 and he has motivated me to think about life in a most positive and inspiring way. This gem of a book is another reason - in a long line of reasons! - why I admire him so much. The book contains a powerful message, namely that luck is not random. By following the steps in Steve's book, you will attract luck into your life. Why would you not wish to read about how you can do this?

Whenever I can, I attend Steve's meet-up group at Harley Street in London. This week I am travelling overseas for work and am unable to attend. So I bought the kindle version (I already have the paperback) as a very fine substitute while on the road!

I thoroughly recommend this book.

Debussy: The Solo Piano Works
Debussy: The Solo Piano Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning piano magic, 13 Mar. 2017
I was lucky enough to hear Noriko playing some of these pieces at Southside House in Wimbledon. I was spellbound. And having thought about it for a day or so, I have concluded that this was THE most magical music experience of my entire life. The beauty of Noriko's playing transported me to another, other-worldly place. This collection of CDs, which I bought at the break in the recital, will forever remind me of a unique evening. Go buy this without ANY hesitation!!
Comment Comment | Permalink

As a Man Thinketh & The Way of Peace (Unabridged Start Publishing LLC)
As a Man Thinketh & The Way of Peace (Unabridged Start Publishing LLC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book about the power of the mind, 8 Oct. 2015
"As a Man Thinketh" is a wonderful book about the power of the mind. It is simply and beautifully written and contains timeless wisdom. I thoroughly recommend it.

A Walk In The Woods: The World's Funniest Travel Writer Takes a Hike (Bryson)
A Walk In The Woods: The World's Funniest Travel Writer Takes a Hike (Bryson)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious!, 27 Nov. 2013
The first half of this book is THE funniest writing I have ever come across. I have read and re-read it and never cease to find it "laugh out loud" funny.

It is true that the book does not retain its "funniness momentum" through to the end. But don't let that put you off - you will have more than enough laughs from the earlier pages.

True Blue: The Oxford Boat Race Mutiny
True Blue: The Oxford Boat Race Mutiny
by Daniel Topolski

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about competitive sport I have ever read, 27 Nov. 2013
I read this book when it first came out and was absolutely gripped by it. I won a Blue at Cambridge for running and thus have a good feel for the unique nature of the universities' rivalry. This book captures that rivalry brilliantly and remains the best book about competitive sport I have ever read.

I highly recommend this book to all lovers of sport.

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and beautiful, 27 Nov. 2013
I'm a big fan of Mitch Albom and this book is one big reason why. Mitch skilfully delivers Morrie's powerful messages without ever becoming overly emotional. The result is a book which is at once uplifting and beautiful.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

The Last Lecture
The Last Lecture

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely inspirational, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Last Lecture (Kindle Edition)
If anyone knows a book which is more inspirational than this one, please let me know! As has been said by many others, this book is a "must read" for its inspiring messages about living a full life.

The Last Lecture is a hugely inspirational book and a joy to read.

A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 27 Nov. 2013
As someone who has been a serious athlete myself, I absolutely loved this book. Chrissie really lets you into her world and provides a fascinating insight into the mindset of a truly elite athlete. I think many will find the book inspirational.

Overall, a great read!

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Many congratulations!, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Secret (Audio CD)
Many congratulations to Rhonda Byrne for succeeding in bringing this message so successfully to such a wide audience. It would be fascinating to know how many folks are now living the law of attraction as a result.

A big thank you to Rhonda - this has without doubt supercharged my life.

Three Magic Words
Three Magic Words

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent book, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Three Magic Words (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after listening to Kelly Howell's guided meditation, The Secret Universal Mind - the meditation is closely based on the summaries at the end of each chapter. I listen to that meditation a lot and thus quickly found myself wanting to read the whole book.

When I read Three Magic Words for the first time, it was almost as if the Divine Intelligence was speaking directly to me and revealing what this life is all about. The book is raw in its power and its message is magnificent.

Needless to say, I would recommend this book. That said, its power and intensity are such that it would perhaps be helpful to be pre-disposed to the message before beginning it. It will not be everyone's cup of tea.

Overall, this is a magnificent book which I have read over and over with delight.

Page: 1 | 2